October 2018

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: October 2018

Post by David M »

Essex Bertie wrote:second brood Chalkhill Blue at Devil's Dyke near Newmarket today.
How many more surprises are in store for us this year?
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

As a footnote to my last post ,the Geranium Bronze reappeared in Pete Burness's garden and was taken to Dungeness Bird Obs,
where It was viewed by a lucky few, and then taken away by the relevant parties (presumably as a possible pest species ) ,some pictures are now on
The PLODDINGBIRDER BLOG SITE ,and I exspect some will appear on the Dungeness Bird obs site as well .
Regards Allan.W.
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

After a dull morning , the sun appeared after lunch , and having read Essex Bertie's report of 2nd. brood Chalkhill Blue on the wing a few days ago , decided to head out to a local Chalkhill Blue site , below Biggin Hill airport in Kent . Very quiet to begin with , then a movement in the grass was the first of 6 x 2nd. brood Chalkhill Blue found on the site . All were ovipositing females , varying in condition from almost pristine to worn . Hope they finish their business before the cold snap comes in . Best count of the species on the site was 234 on the 26th.July , the day before overnight thunderstorms wiped out 100+ of the species . My last record was a single female on the 11th. September .
_MG_7581.JPG
_MG_7588.JPG
Also found were 3 well worn male Common Blue and a very fresh looking Meadow Brown , which steadfastly refused to stop for a photo .
_MG_7600.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

Those two females look rather like Common Blues to me, Greenie. Do you have any other shots clearly showing chequered fringes, which would be indicative of them not being CB?

Sorry to put a dampener on things... :( Others may have a different view of course! :)

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

millerd wrote:Those two females look rather like Common Blues to me, Greenie. Do you have any other shots clearly showing chequered fringes, which would be indicative of them not being CB?

Sorry to put a dampener on things... :( Others may have a different view of course! :)

Cheers,

Dave
I agree with Dave, definitely Common Blue females. :?
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

Having looked back again at the shots , I agree with Millerd and Bugboy , they are female Common Blues .
Yet another senior moment , they are happening too often these days !!
Thanks lads for keeping an eye on us oldies .
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

With the "lure" of a possible 2nd brood Chalk hill Blue sighting!! an a cold/wet front heading our way, i took an extended lunch break from work today :roll: with thoughts of maybe one of the last days this year/season, to sight certain species?! I visited just the one site at Darland Banks, Gillingham Kent. Despite a thorough search...no sign of any 2nd brood Chalk hill Blues :( To be fair, i wasnt expecting to see any, but you just never know?

What i did find, was 3 very fresh male Common Blues, 1 Meadow Brown, 1 Small Copper, 1 Red Admiral...an several Moths.

I would have liked to have searched 2 other locations today, but just didnt have the time.

Several photos then, cheers Paul.
PS. whilst the Common Blue images are all of the same individual, i do have pics of one of the other males, but its of poor quality.
I even saw 2 of the males dueling in the wind!!
Are these male Common Blues 3rd or 4th brood of the year/season though??

Small Copper, in pretty good condition too. Image in not cropped.
25th-October-2018-to-700a.jpg
Fresh Common Blue. Image is not cropped.
25th-October-2018-to-700d.jpg
Fresh Common Blue, struggling to bask in the wind. Image is not cropped.
25th-October-2018-to-700c.jpg
Fresh Common Blue, nectaring. Image is cropped some.
25th-October-2018-to-700b.jpg
Essex Bertie

Post by Essex Bertie »

Testudo Man wrote: Are these male Common Blues 3rd or 4th brood of the year/season though??
I can only assume 3rd brood. I would think that the Small Copper is favourite to achieve a 4th generation in the UK.
Your last male Common Blue photo has the look of female body shape and rejection behaviour, if we didn't know better!
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Essex Bertie wrote:
Testudo Man wrote: Are these male Common Blues 3rd or 4th brood of the year/season though??
I can only assume 3rd brood. I would think that the Small Copper is favourite to achieve a 4th generation in the UK.
Your last male Common Blue photo has the look of female body shape and rejection behaviour, if we didn't know better!
Yes, that last pic does suggest that! The other 2 males were more active/dueling with each other, but this male was intent on making himself as flat as possible, in order to bask in the sun. Even when nectaring, this butterfly was really flat/outstreached.

Yesterday(27/10/18) i went "Birding"...however, i saw 2 Red Admirals, 1 quite worn, but the other looked to be in very good condition.
I had the wrong camera set up, so had to move right back from the butterfly, in order to make the shot! I took just the one image, then this Red Admiral flew back up high in the trees. The sun soon disappeared by afternoon, an became quite cold, so i was lucky to see those Red Admirals
Camera set up was - Nikon V1/FT1/1.4 teleconverter/Nikon 300mm f/4 lens! so not the best for shooting butterflies!
Image is not cropped...an i would say i was at least 12 feet from subject!
Location - Sevenoaks, Kent. Cheers Paul.
27th-October-2018-to-700a.jpg
An image of one of the male Shoveler Ducks, seen on the day. Image is not cropped.
27th-October-2018-to-700b.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Testudo Man wrote:
What i did find, was 3 very fresh male Common Blues, 1 Meadow Brown, 1 Small Copper, 1 Red Admiral...an several Moths.
Absolutely stunning finds for late October, TM.

I'll wager they won't be there if you go next Thursday! :(
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

David M wrote:
Testudo Man wrote:
Absolutely stunning finds for late October, TM.

I'll wager they won't be there if you go next Thursday! :(
Thanks David.
You are probably right, since our weather/climate has took a turn for the worst, the chances of those Common Blues surviving for a week or more, must be slim.
I work outside, an it was pretty darn cold today!!!...Looks like Tuesday in Kent, is going to be windy with plenty of rain too!
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

A hard frost overnight here, followed by a glorious sunny day. I'd thought that was it for this year but no. A Large White, a Red Admiral, a good looking Speckled Wood on frosted beans and just now a well-worn Wall on a wall. I wonder if anything will carry on into November?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Red Admiral in the garden this morning. Hopefully it has been heading for somewhere that will be warmer and sunnier than here.
David M

Post by David M »

Deborah wrote:A hard frost overnight here, followed by a glorious sunny day. I'd thought that was it for this year but no. A Large White, a Red Admiral, a good looking Speckled Wood on frosted beans and just now a well-worn Wall on a wall. I wonder if anything will carry on into November?
I'd like to believe your season goes on for longer than ours, Deborah. :)

I reckon you've still got a week or two to find the odd hardy, late-season survivor.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Forgot to mention that i found a pair of Common Blues mating in October. Date was - 5/10/18.
I presume this pair in cop. are 3rd brood.
A couple of males were seen chasing this fresh female, before one male was successful.

Location - Queensdown Warren, Kent.
Cheers Paul.

Image is not cropped. Male has some wing damage.
5th-October-2018-to-600u.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Essex Bertie: second brood Chalkhill Blue at Devil's Dyke near Newmarket today
It might well be second brood but for example, Denbies (Surrey) always used to have late flying Chalkhill Blues (and indeed, very late Meadow Browns). I have never heard it suggested that these are genuine second brood.

Does Chalkhill Blue routinely have two broods in the hotter parts of mainland Europe?

Jack

Return to “Sightings”