Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel, like the Baldrick comment, glad to see you got the reference. Hopefully my plan is a bit more reliable than relying on the lottery...hopefully :lol:

I had always fancied getting a moth trap David and succumbed to the temptation myself after seeing other peoples reports. I would imagine your location would provide for a nice selection of species including some interesting migrants.

Friday 19th October.

Nothing much to report this week. Following a nippy night that dropped down to just 3 degrees, a nice sunny afternoon tempted me to have a quick look around the park by my mom's house but without any success.

I put the moth trap out just the once this week, on Tuesday night which produced just 17 moths of 11 species, nothing special but a selection of the usual suspects for the time of year, similar to last weeks catch.
Feathered Thorn - Coverdale 16.10.2018
Feathered Thorn - Coverdale 16.10.2018
November Moth agg. Coverdale 16.10.2018
November Moth agg. Coverdale 16.10.2018
Brick - Coverdale 16.10.2018
Brick - Coverdale 16.10.2018
Turnip Moth - Coverdale 16.10.2018
Turnip Moth - Coverdale 16.10.2018
Bye for now,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Another lovely selection of Moffs Neil :D I take it the Turnip Moth got it's name from the food plant of the larvae as it looks nothing like a Turnip :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote:I had always fancied getting a moth trap David and succumbed to the temptation myself after seeing other peoples reports. I would imagine your location would provide for a nice selection of species including some interesting migrants.
Yes. This area may not be great for butterflies but there are quite a number of moths recorded in the area that are notable.

Given that my cottage is in a 'wild' part of the Gower then I would expect a fair smorgasbord of species, so I will look into this and may well become 'nfreem2' over the next few months!!! :)

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. The Turnip Moth's larval foodplants consist of various wild and cultivated plants including Turnips, Swedes and Carrots, makes you wonder why it isn't called the Swede or Carrot Moth :wink:

David, I reckon your area is much better than my local patch with Marsh Frits & SPBFs on your doorstep, not to mention Wall Browns not far away, none of which occur in Warwickshire these days.

Saturday 20th October

A decent weekend at last with some nice sun albeit accompanied by a chilly breeze. Although I have seen a few butterflies still being reported from around the midlands, mostly a few Small Coppers and Speckled Woods with the odd Peacock or Small Tortoiseshell, I decided against going out anywhere and caught up with some jobs around the house and garden.

On Saturday afternoon I spotted a couple of Speckled Woods spiraling around each other down the bottom of the garden. They went at it for a few minutes until one of them broke off and disappeared next door. The other one settled to bask in the sun so I grabbed my camera and took a few shots...quite possibly the last butterfly photos I will manage to take this year.
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 20.10.2018
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 20.10.2018
We already had our first frosts here the other week and overnight temperatures are regularly dropping down to low single figures and it seems that a cold front is going to be heading down the country by next weekend so I am not expecting to see anything else around here now.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great 'final' shot Neil :D , though I hope you might manage a few more before hanging up the camera for 2018 maybe the odd hibernator brought out by a warm spell? Fingers crossed...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

I reckon your area is much better than my local patch with Marsh Frits & SPBFs on your doorstep, not to mention Wall Browns not far away, none of which occur in Warwickshire these days.
Possibly, in the near to intermediate vicinity, Neil, but travelling to see the southern English specialities is quite a labour from Swansea, although I’m not complaining, given that I’ve got Marsh & Small Pearl Bordered Fritillaries on my doorstep along with Green Hairstreak, Dingy Skipper & Wall Brown!

Your moths are rather stunning though, and I wonder what species are present in my locality. There could well be wonderful surprises in store!

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I know what you mean about travelling to see the southern specialities David. That is one of the reasons why I usually try to have a break for a few days or wangle a family holiday down south somewhere as it is too far for a day trip and I refuse to clock up lots of miles just to tick off species every year.

Yes, you may well have some good species of moths in your locality. Not sure if you use facebook but there are some useful groups on there that I use, including these;

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1657981907786185/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MigrantLepidopera/

Cheers,

Neil

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote:Great 'final' shot Neil :D , though I hope you might manage a few more before hanging up the camera for 2018 maybe the odd hibernator brought out by a warm spell? Fingers crossed...

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thanks Wurzel, missed your comment earlier somehow :oops: Yes, there is always the off chance of the odd hibernator but we are not like the more benign southern parts around here and my season is usually done by now.

cheers,

Neil.

David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote:...Not sure if you use facebook but there are some useful groups on there that I use, including these;

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1657981907786185/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MigrantLepidopera/l
Many thanks, Neil. Those are most useful resources. :)

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

With the clocks going back the other weekend it is now practically dark when I get in from work as well as dark when I leave in the morning so not much chance to see anything in the garden now during the week.

During the weekends I am seeing all the usual birds visiting the feeders but the most notable was a small flock of approx 20-30 Fieldfares that descended on to a Mountain Ash in one of my neighbours gardens on Sunday afternoon, no doubt attracted by the hefty crop of berries. I was in my back room at the time and grabbed my camera to take a couple of quick photos through the window (and steady drizzle which put me off going outside :wink: ).
Fieldfares in neighbours garden. Cropped shot taken at full zoom.
Fieldfares in neighbours garden. Cropped shot taken at full zoom.
After a cold week last week with a couple of nights dropping down to -3 degrees around here, this week looks to be much milder so I may put the moth trap out a couple of times to see if anything is about.

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Crickey the view of Fieldfares always makes me think that it's almost time to get the Christmas decs ready :shock: :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote:With the clocks going back the other weekend it is now practically dark when I get in from work as well as dark when I leave in the morning so not much chance to see anything in the garden now during the week.
Indeed. Next week will see me not bother to even open my curtains when I leave for work in the morning, as when I get home I would only be closing them immediately.

Nice to see you have some birdlife to keep providing you with satisfaction.

March seems a long way away right now. :(

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Indeed Wurzel, a proper winter bird. Mind you I have seen the first Christmas decorations up in some houses around here this past week...bl**dy mental :roll:

Nearly missed your comment David as I was writing this next bit. Yes, the birds keep things interesting in the garden though the winter. Roll on nextr spring.

A milder week just gone but a bit blustery on most nights so I only put the moth trap out the once in the end, on Monday night which resulted in just 12 moths of 6 species, 5 of 3 macros and 7 of 3 micros. The macros consisted of 3 Bricks, 1 Featherd Thorn and a worn Common Marbled Carpet whilst the micros were made up of 4 Light Brown Apple Moths, 2 Tachystola acroxantha and 1 Eudonia angustea. I did think I may get a few more given the mild conditions but perhaps they were keeping their heads down to avoid being shot down by all the fireworks going off around here :shock:
The Feathered Thorn and Brick are both common and widespread autumn species but I have only had the odd one or two of both these in previous years whereas this year I have been getting them nearly every time I have put the trap out over the past few weeks.
I know I have posted photos of both of these species recently but here's a couple more from this week.
Feathered Thorn - Coverdale 05.11.2018
Feathered Thorn - Coverdale 05.11.2018
Brick - Coverdale 05.11.2018
Brick - Coverdale 05.11.2018
Bye for now,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

In Waitrose they had the Christmas decorations on sale side by side with the Halloween items Neil :roll: Mind you if it means that next season comes sooner I'm all for wishing the months away :lol: I love the little white eyes on that Feathered Thorn :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Things look to be winding down on the moth front too, Neil. :(

As for Christmas decorations, I can trump that - in Swansea, the Xmas funfair opened today!! We've barely got Bonfire Night out of the way! :?

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel, well I suppose at this rate it won't be long until the Easter Eggs are in the shops :roll: :lol:

Yes David, the moths are winding down now too. Mind you there are still a few about...speaking of which,

Friday 16th November

Some fairly mild nights earlier this week albeit a bit blustery culminated in a promising looking night to put the trap out last night with just a light breeze and a minimum overnight temperature of 12 degrees forecast.
In the end that was exactly what we had and although there was not a great number of moths in the trap this morning (5 macros and 5 micros), one of them was my first December Moth for the garden. This small member of the Lasiocampidae family, which also includes the Eggar, Fox and Lackey Moths, is a common and widespread species but with a flight period usually from late October through to early January it is unlikely to be seen without running a moth trap at this time.
December Moth - Coverdale 15.11.2018
December Moth - Coverdale 15.11.2018
Another common winter flying moth is the Mottled Umber which is one of a number of species with flightless females. The males are very variable and include some attractive colour forms, one of which I was pleased to see had come to the trap last night.
Mottled Umber - Coverdale 15.011.2018
Mottled Umber - Coverdale 15.011.2018
The rest of the catch was made up of a couple of Red-green Carpet Moths and a worn Brick.
Red-green Carpet Moth - Coverdale 15.11.2018
Red-green Carpet Moth - Coverdale 15.11.2018
The micros consisted of two Light Brown Apple Moths and three Tachystola acroxantha

The temperatures are dropping off a bit over the weekend and next week is looking to be a cold one so I reckon it may be a while before the trap is out again.

Bye for now,

Neil

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, we get Field Fares in Winter some times, especially when it Snow's and lots of different birds that you don't see a lot in the Summer arrive it makes the Winter worth while, Well! some times, Goldie :roll:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great Moffs Neil, dead envious of the Red Green Carpet as I've always wanted to see one of those :mrgreen: Mind you I see the December Moth is following the lead of the shops and has come early :roll: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

You're still getting some nice looking moths, Neil, which I suppose serves to extend the 'season' for you somewhat. I agree though that the forecast cold snap may well finish things off for the year, although I'm not sure 'Beast from the East' is appropriate as there are no freezing nights predicted...in south Wales at least!

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie, I don't often get Fieldfares in the garden although I do see them around and about locally most winters. I always notice the birds more during the winter when there is less of interest about otherwise.

Cheers Wurzel, Yes, December Moth in November and I had November Moths in October, mind you that is well within the normal flight period for both species. Not had a Winter Moth yet this year but they are also on the wing now so maybe next time I put the trap out...when the overnight temperature lifts a bit more.

Thanks David, not sure what you ended up with in south wales but we had a couple of freezing nights here, Tuesday night in particular which dropped to -4 overnight and we even saw the first snow around here on Wednesday morning. It didn't last long though and it is looking to bit milder, albeit wetter and windier, next week.

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”