Butterflysaurus rex

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Butterflysaurus rex

Post by millerd »

The open-wing Brown Hairstreak is quite possibly the best I have ever seen anywhere, James. You see near-perfect individuals that never open up so completely, or scruffy ones that do. Simply amazing. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :)

Dave

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:The open-wing Brown Hairstreak is quite possibly the best I have ever seen anywhere, James. You see near-perfect individuals that never open up so completely, or scruffy ones that do. Simply amazing.
I suspect even Neil Hulme will be envious of that one! :mrgreen:

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

millerd wrote:The open-wing Brown Hairstreak is quite possibly the best I have ever seen anywhere, James. You see near-perfect individuals that never open up so completely, or scruffy ones that do. Simply amazing. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :)

Dave
Hello Dave, thanks yes I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw her sitting there! I’d been dreaming of finding a fresh (open wing) Brown Hairstreak for years and finally there she was. I felt certain I was going to mess it up, I nearly did too :shock: my shutter speed was too low and most came out blurred!! I managed to adjust it in the nick of time before she flew. Thankfully I was on my own when I found her, if I’d been ‘in the queue’ as usual I would have certainly lost the opportunity. The funny thing is my friends all preferred another photo I took that day, and it wasn’t even a butterfly!
David M wrote:
millerd wrote:The open-wing Brown Hairstreak is quite possibly the best I have ever seen anywhere, James. You see near-perfect individuals that never open up so completely, or scruffy ones that do. Simply amazing.
I suspect even Neil Hulme will be envious of that one! :mrgreen:
Somehow I highly doubt He would be David :D I’m pretty sure he owns the biggest gallery of stunning Brown Hairstreak images in the UK. I only hope I get another chance like this again one day.

Best wishes,

James

Butterflysaurus rex

Autumn 2018 part 1

Thanks for looking,

James.
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Brilliant photos, James, especially (and I speak as a connoiseur) the male Holly Blue. :)

Cheers,

Dave

Butterflysaurus rex

millerd wrote:Brilliant photos, James, especially (and I speak as a connoiseur) the male Holly Blue. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Many thanks Dave, I have always found Holly Blues to be particularly tricky to photograph so I was very pleased with those. :D

Best Wishes,

James

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wow! :shock: That open wing Holly Blue is gurt lush Rex :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Absolutely love the Copper on the Teasel, certainly makes it look like a small 'Small Cooper' :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

Wurzel wrote:Wow! :shock: That open wing Holly Blue is gurt lush Rex :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Absolutely love the Copper on the Teasel, certainly makes it look like a small 'Small Cooper' :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thanks very much Wurzel, I was very lucky to find a Holly Blue in such perfect condition! I usually seem to find the old/damaged ones. It was great watching that Small Copper climb all the way to the top of the Teasel where it proceeded to bask. Perhaps you’re right, maybe this was one it made earlier. :wink:

ATB

James

David M

Post by David M »

Wow! You’re coming up with some exceptional images lately, James. The Holly Blue is mint but the Small Copper on the dead teasel head is the killer for me. Wonderful shot!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Great stuff James.
I hope you'll post the images from Tidemills, a few weeks back, on here.
Those Walls and Cloudies were exceptional.

All the best,
Trevor.

Butterflysaurus rex

David M wrote:Wow! You’re coming up with some exceptional images lately, James. The Holly Blue is mint but the Small Copper on the dead teasel head is the killer for me. Wonderful shot!
Thanks David, I've had a pretty good year all things considered! It's certainly been a great year for most butterflies and that's encouraging :D
trevor wrote:Great stuff James.
I hope you'll post the images from Tidemills, a few weeks back, on here.
Those Walls and Cloudies were exceptional.

All the best,
Trevor.
I certainly will Trevor, in fact here they are! Well most are from Tidemills anyway. I had a great time with the Wall Browns and Clouded Yellows there. Thanks for the kind words.

Autumn part 2

Thanks for looking.

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Yes, they are the ones. I call that a cracking day out.
Love the female Walls. I might try Tidemills tomorrow.

All the best,
Trevor.

Butterflysaurus rex

trevor wrote:Yes, they are the ones. I call that a cracking day out.
Love the female Walls. I might try Tidemills tomorrow.

All the best,
Trevor.
It would certainly be worth a look Trevor, I haven’t been back since but I’m sure there will be some Clouded Yellows there. The female Wall Browns were a treat, I much prefer their more delicate markings. If you go tomorrow I hope you have a great time.

Best wishes,

James

millerd

Post by millerd »

Splendid shots of both those species, James, the Walls especially. They are both having a great Autumn down there on the Sussex Coast. I wonder what future that egg has? With the relatively benign climate of the coastal fringe, it might survive... They are reputed to do so by the sea near Bournemouth after all. :)

Cheers,

Dave

Butterflysaurus rex

millerd wrote:Splendid shots of both those species, James, the Walls especially. They are both having a great Autumn down there on the Sussex Coast. I wonder what future that egg has? With the relatively benign climate of the coastal fringe, it might survive... They are reputed to do so by the sea near Bournemouth after all. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Thank you Dave :D yes Wall Browns are having a great third brood again this year. We’re very lucky considering they have become so scarce or even extinct in many other counties. Thankfully the CY egg photo was taken a few weeks ago so it has a decent chance of maturing and heading south. I haven’t heard of any Clouded Yellows surviving the winter locally, but if it’s possible in Bournemouth then I guess it could be here?

ATB

James

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Absolutely stunning Clouded Yellows Rex, they look fresh out of the box, I don;t think I've ever seen them that yellow :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The mating pair of Walls throw a nice pose too! :oops: :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

More stunning shots, James :) beautiful Wall Browns and Clouded Yellows. If I had to choose one, it would be the backlit Clouded Yellow with the dew :D

Mike

Butterflysaurus rex

Wurzel wrote:Absolutely stunning Clouded Yellows Rex, they look fresh out of the box, I don;t think I've ever seen them that yellow :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The mating pair of Walls throw a nice pose too! :oops: :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Cheers Wurzel :D I think the Yellow was enhanced a bit by the hazy and diffuse lighting. I hope the Wall Browns didn't think I was a peeping tom!
Maximus wrote:More stunning shots, James :) beautiful Wall Browns and Clouded Yellows. If I had to choose one, it would be the backlit Clouded Yellow with the dew :D

Mike
Thank you Mike :D I do have a soft spot for unusual lighting conditions, it can certainly make an otherwise ordinary image look more interesting. A nice way to finish off my season - I suspect my next post could well be my last as I'm now pretty much up to date. If I'm lucky I might get out one last time but it seems the weather is set to get chilly by this weekend.

My very best wishes to you both.

James

David M

Post by David M »

I simply love those Clouded Yellow and Wall Brown shots, James. For those SE of a line between Exeter and Ipswich, this year has to be the best late season in living memory!

Butterflysaurus rex

David M wrote:I simply love those Clouded Yellow and Wall Brown shots, James. For those SE of a line between Exeter and Ipswich, this year has to be the best late season in living memory!
Very kind of you David :D we are quite lucky here in the south east as we usually enjoy an extended season, quite often up until November! It has the added benefit of making the winter feel a little bit shorter. Surprisingly after the summer we’ve had it wasn’t looking good for an influx of migrants, thankfully the Clouded Yellows came through and saved the day as it were.

Best Wishes,

James

Return to “Personal Diaries”