Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Trevor

Post by Wurzel »

That Comma is a great nick Trevor :D Mind you the Red Admirals aren't too shabby either :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

I went up to a blustery High and Over this morning. The strong wind was
blowing right along the hedge in the field, so no Wall Browns.
Once again the predominant species found was more fresh Red Admirals,
and some Speckled Woods in reasonable condition.
The find of the day came later when I spotted a newly emerged male
Wall Brown right down in some low undergrowth, so no photo unfortunately.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1220708.JPG
P1220721.JPG
P1220768.JPG
P1220734.JPG

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

START 'EM OFF YOUNG!.
Attachments
P1180939.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

The Big Hungry Caterpillar seems to be about to get his just desserts there, Trevor... :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You're definitely doing things proper Trevor :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Dave & Wurzel.
He also attends after school ' nature club ', so there's hope yet !. :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Because of an early morning deluge around here, it was not until this afternoon that
the weather was suitable for a Butterfly trip.
I chose High and Over once again, as the site is local and usually reliable.
A walk along the hedge revealed at least four male Wall Browns, and all were in
reasonable condition, and very quick off the mark.
As I returned towards the car I became aware of at least eight Red Admirals indulging
in dogfights, usually in pairs, sometimes more were involved. When they landed it
was not to bask, but to posture ready for takeoff when another Red Admiral flew over.
It was delightful to watch, but difficult to photograph.

Another great session,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1220789.JPG
P1220797.JPG
P1220799.JPG
P1220806.JPG
P1220811.JPG
P1220817.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Sunshine, Trevor? :mrgreen: We had none of that here today, and it stayed resolutely grey and damp all day. Good to see you still have Walls making the most of it, and the Red Admirals are presumably making a last stop on their way south. :)

Cheers,

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

Tidemills, near Newhaven was my destination this morning.
The breeze may have tempered activity a little, but it was still a lovely morning.
I went there for Clouded Yellows, and saw two. One settled long enough for a
couple of shots, and was very fresh indeed. Both disappeared and were never seen again.
Some Red Admirals were flying near the beach, possibly plucking up courage for crossing the channel.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1220831.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a very fresh Cloudy Trevor :D :mrgreen: Will it be sticking around or heading back to warmer/drier climes?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Tidemills is a handy site to have at this time of year, Trevor!

Nice Wall Browns again, and the earlier Speckled Woods, Red Admirals and Ivy flowers – you just know it’s autumn when you see all those together!

trevor

Post by trevor »

I set out this morning for Southwick under clear blue sky. After only a short distance
I could see a very distant bank of cloud stretching as far as the eye could see.
On arrival at Southwick the cloud had arrived there, and as I decended the steps
down from the road, I met a very glum Bugboy !, who was concerned that he had
wasted his time. It looked as though a certain law was going to control our day as
only a mile or so out to sea was clear blue sky and bright sunshine !.
Fortunately the sun did make an appearance and the Butterflies responded. In all
we saw five, possibly six fresh Clouded Yellows, a fresh male and female Common Blue,
some lively Red Admirals and a very fast flying Painted Lady. Even a Silver Y Moth
posed for my camera.

I think Paul went home very satisfied with his haul, after a very doubtful start.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1220935.JPG
P1220850.JPG
P1220910.JPG
Female Common Blue on razor wire !.
Female Common Blue on razor wire !.
P1220854.JPG
P1220867.JPG
P1220865.JPG
P1220878.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Congratulations Trevor. That certainly is a great site to get the very last out of the season. Very few places are still performing now, so I may chance a visit there at the end of October, though only if the weather is reliable.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That's a nice looking female Common Blue Trevor, hopefully she'll bump into that fresh male in the next couple of days so her late emergence isn't wasted :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Cloudies Tevor :D :mrgreen: Some really nice fresh ones there. Love the Common Blue on the Razorwire; a great juxtaposition, almost Beauty and The Beast :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Great Clouded Yellow shots, Trevor. :) As I said to Bugboy, I would have been there too if the weather here hadn't been so bad - I didn't realise it was very different down there! :) Current forecast looks encouraging too...

Cheers,

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous haul, Trevor. With another benign weekend to come I suspect there'll still be plenty to see over the next week or so.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Those Clouded Yellows look mighty fresh, Trevor, so do the Common blues, and there's still time for more!

Mike

trevor

Post by trevor »

My visit to Southwick today was dictated by the cool northerly breeze at home.
The hope was that this south facing site would provide some protection from the wind.
Leaving the car I noticed 11c. on the dashboard thermometer. I need not have
worried as two Clouded Yellows were found straight away, all told six were found.
Very few were fresh, but all were in good condition.
The real prize today was a very fresh, placid, Painted Lady, intent on nectaring,
this lovely Butterfly just glided and floated between various Knapweed flowers,
and allowed very close approach on many occasions.
Only one of the many Red Admirals flying around, settled for the camera, this
turned out to be a worn ab. bialbata. Surprisingly for Southwick, no Common Blues
were found today.

A first class day out.
Trevor.

PS. Many thanks everyone for your comments on my previous post.
Attachments
P1230073.JPG
P1230085.JPG
P1230019.JPG
P1220974.JPG
P1230035.JPG
P1230039.JPG
P1230009.JPG
P1230047.JPG
P1230001.JPG
P1220984.JPG
P1220995.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Amazing how that tiny strip of green can continue to be such a butterfly magnet!

Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Personal Diaries”