Holiday to Germany part 4a

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

Holiday to Germany part 4a

Post by Philzoid »

Friday 27/07/18.
I’d been looking forward to this day as we’d be taking another cable car journey but this time up Hochgrat mountain to an elevation of 1800m. I hoped that his would be the place to give my butterfly list a healthy kick and send it well beyond the 19 species so far :) . At the hochgratbahn (station) the cars were much more basic compact and relatively cramped for 4 persons with warning notices for persons to keep still during transit. The sound inside the car was like the drone of a squadron of Lancaster bombers but my youngest told me to shut-up when I mentioned it :lol: :oops: . The journey was exciting as we swung out over the road and made our way up a steep mountain slopes barely clearing the treetops as we climbed. The whole journey took about 25 minutes and the disembarkation point took you straight into a café (of course).
As with Hundle the temperature was still hot despite the higher elevation. Initially I chose to break away from the main (walkers) track and chose the alternative (short-cut) route which comprised of a rickety fire-escape type staircase, close to a precarious drop on the north side. This afforded a better view of the mountains north east, and also the opportunity to see butterflies on the opposite flatter grassy side. Almost immediately a small Colias species flitted by and took nectar from a scabious flower close to the drop. This one was a lemon yellow so I knew I had myself another lifer :D with only Colias croceus in my life list. It’s active movement and my precarious position on the steps meant the best I could manage were these slightly blurred shots.
A 2018.07.27 IMG_5801 Colias phicomone or alfacariensis. Mountain or Berger's Clouded Yellow, Hochbrat t.jpg
B 2018.07.27 IMG_5803 Colias phicomone or alfacariensis. Mountain or Berger's Clouded Yellow, Hochbrat t.jpg
C 2018.07.27 IMG_5804 Colias phicomone or alfacariensis. Mountain or Berger's Clouded Yellow, Hochbrat t.jpg
D 2018.07.27 IMG_5798 Colias phicomone or alfacariensis. Mountain or Berger's Clouded Yellow, Hochgrat t.jpg
Initially I had two ID possibilities: - C. alfacariensis (Berger’s Clouded Yellow) or C. phicomone (Mountain Clouded Yellow). I now think it’s the latter but would welcome confirmation if possible :) .
After that immediate encounter I hardly saw any more cloudies and those that I did were not stopping or were inaccessible on the steep mountain banks :? . More accessible and abundant were the Small Tortoiseshells, their vibrant orange colour setting off nicely against the blue Scabious flowers the favoured nectar source here :D .
E 2018.07.27 IMG_5808 Small Tortoiseshell, Hochgrat.jpg
F 2018.07.27 IMG_5835 IMG_7281 Aglais urticae, Small Tortoiseshell, Hochgrat.jpg
G 2018.07.27 IMG_5835 IMG_7289 Aglais urticae, Small Tortoiseshell, Hochgrat.jpg
H 2018.07.27 IMG_5847 Small Tortoiseshell, Hochgrat.jpg
I 2018.07.27 IMG_5849 Small Tortoiseshell, Hochgrat.jpg
A large flying moth caught my attention and it took to using camouflage when landing on a rock. This is I think a Charissa species possibly C. obscurata (Annulet)
J 2018.07.27 IMG_5830 Charissa sp. (Annulet moth), Hochgrat 1750m.jpg
A little pocket 15m2 of grasses and wildflowers close to a fenced-off area (“my patch”) seemed to be a magnet for butterflies and it was where I got my 5th lifer, a Large Wall Brown Lasiommata maera although I didn’t know that’s what it was at the time :D .
K 2018.07.27 IMG_5840 Lasiommata maera, Large Wall Brown, Hochgrat.jpg
L 2018.07.27 IMG_5841 Lasiommata maera, Large Wall Brown, Hochgrat.jpg
M 2018.07.27 IMG_5842 Lasiommata maera, Large Wall Brown, Hochgrat.jpg
The wasp below is I think a Saxon Wasp, Dolichovespula saxonica but I would welcome confirmation on that :)
O 2018.07.27 IMG_5858 Dolichovespula saxonica, Saxon Wasp, Hochgrat.jpg
As you would expect there were plenty of flowers. The stately Blue Monkshood I can identify but the white one, which was growing in a sheltered spot, is proving difficult (not Edelweiss). Any clues please :?:
P 2018.07.27 IMG_5878 Aconitum napellus, Blue Monkshood, Hochgrat.jpg
Q 2018.07.27 IMG_5870 Unidentified wild-flower Hochgrat.jpg
After that the heat started to take its toll. The others headed back up the track to the cable-car café whilst I headed down the track to a boarding house (Staufner Haus) for some liquid refreshment (beer) 8) . By the time it was drunk a large cloud had appeared from nowhere, cast a shadow and nothing was flying :( . At this point I was cursing under my breath but by the time I’d made it back to “my patch” the sun had returned and another butterfly was spotted, an Erebia species and another lifer :D . This one is I’m certain, Erebia manto (Yellow-spotted Ringlet). I did get to see its (distinct) underside to help with the ID but no photo at this time.
R 2018.07.27 IMG_5903 Erebia manto Yellow-spotted Ringlet, Hochgrat.jpg
S 2018.07.27 IMG_5912 Erebia manto Yellow-spotted Ringlet, Hochgrat.jpg
T 2018.07.27 IMG_5938 Erebia manto Yellow-spotted Ringlet, Hochgrat.jpg
U 2018.07.27 IMG_5941 Erebia manto Yellow-spotted Ringlet, Hochgrat.jpg
Next up was Small White (is there anywhere where this butterfly is not found :?: ), more Small Torts and a fly-by Brimstone record shot to add another species to my list ... which was bumping up nicely :D .
V 2018.07.27 IMG_5943 Pieris rapae, Small White, Hochgrat.jpg
W 2018.07.27 IMG_5945 Small Tortoiseshell (and hoverfly), Hochgrat.jpg
X 2018.07.27 IMG_5947 Small Tortoiseshell, Hochgrat.jpg
Y 2018.07.27 IMG_5949 Pieris rapae, Small White, Hochgrat.jpg
Farmhouse in background was occupied as I was to find out later
Farmhouse in background was occupied as I was to find out later
continued in part 4b

Phil
Charles Nicol

Re: Holiday to Germany part 4a

Post by Charles Nicol »

i am enjoying the latest episodes of your German trip 8)

what can be the secret of the mysterious farm house :shock: :shock: :shock: ?
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Phil, your exploits are always a good read.
Your mystery flower looks like Grass of Parnassus https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-marsh ... 58161.html

Vince
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Good to see you getting to grips with the continental species, Phil!

Yes - phicomone. This is a fairly constant companion in the high Alps.

Your manto is interesting. Initially, I thought, 'That's never manto' because it looked so different from any I see in Switzerland - the extensive markings on the hindwings were what got me in particular. But I had a look in the books and saw that some forms of the species are indeed that well marked. This is a very variable butterfly. It is unmarked, jet black at some of my haunts in the Pyrenees.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Charles Nicol wrote: am enjoying the latest episodes of your German trip
thanks Charles :)
Charles Nicol wrote:what can be the secret of the mysterious farm house ?
Hopefully you won’t have to wait too much longer to find out. :)
Vince Massimo wrote:Your mystery flower looks like Grass of Parnassus https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-marsh ... 58161.html
Brilliant! Thanks very much Vince :D . I spent some considerable time searching for that one.
Padfield wrote:Yes - phicomone. This is a fairly constant companion in the high Alps.
Thanks for the confirmation Guy. More of a passer-by than a ‘companion’ I’d say :lol:
Padfield wrote:Initially, I thought, 'That's never manto' because it looked so different from any I see in Switzerland - the extensive markings on the hindwings were what got me in particular. But I had a look in the books and saw that some forms of the species are indeed that well marked. This is a very variable butterfly. It is unmarked, jet black at some of my haunts in the Pyrenees.
I surmise from the images that I have in my book, that the Erebia’s are difficult group to identify from their upperside only and in some cases from the underside too. I went with manto as I was able to get a look at this one’s underside and I think it is quite distinct (though variable too) in this species.
I assume that location is key too but some species seem to have a large ranges and therefore likely to overlap with other similar species. In such cases of overlap and variation within a particular species (as you have pointed out), how difficult is it to identify an individual without taking a voucher :?: (not that I’m advocating that of course). I remember my Erebias from Andorra were difficult with only E. rondui ‘confirmed’ (I think I might’ve had two species in there) :? .
https://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB/v ... 76#p105476

More Erebia to come but only one challenging species left (and not Erebia)

Phil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

As I said in my Shipton post "Large Wall :mrgreen: Mountain Cloudy :mrgreen: " and I'd forgotten about the Erebia manto :mrgreen: :mrgreen: And the question on everyone's lips is "who was in the farmhouse?" :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Love your manto, Phil. At first glance, I thought it was a bizarrely marked Almond Eyed Ringlet until I read your text below.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Wurzel wrote:and I'd forgotten about the Erebia manto
Yes, I was please with that one and expected to get one of some description as where there are mountains there are Erebia.
Wurzel wrote:And the question on everyone's lips is "who was in the farmhouse?" Have a goodun
Not sure as I didn't get to meet them for a chat and a cuppa. They didn't seem too happy having Captain Haddock roaming around :roll: :wink:

Your comment had me rushing back to my field guide David :shock: ... but no, not Almond-eyed.

Phil

Return to “General”