David M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: David M

Post by Padfield »

Hi David. Just getting round to catching up on your diary. That's a super picture of the white-tailed eagle - what a magnificent bird.

Your unidentified butterfly is a female of the almost infinitely variable Papilio dardanus. She will have been pleased you thought she was a Danaiid - that's what she wanted you to think! :D

Guy

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Wonderful images of the birds of prey, David. As you know, I have a deep fondness for buzzards and kestrels. But that white-tailed eagle, in full adult plumage, is truly magnificent.

Nice pictures from the butterfly house, too. In the months to come, you will need to make visits there, to get your butterfly fix.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

David - Not only have I not been to a Butterfly House in years I haven't been to a Hawk display for ages either. As you say its really exciting at times. I remember when they made the birds fly right over the audience's heads. One of them was a Peregrine who stooped and then crashed past us at breakneck pace a couple of feet above our heads in level flight. They followed that with the slow, silent and beautiful Barn Owl. I'd recommend such a show to anyone.

Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

Many thanks for the comments, folks. Yes, a tropical butterfly house and a bird of prey display area within 200m of one another is irresistible! Long may it continue.

Thanks too, Guy, for your ID regarding the 'Danaidid'. I had a look at a few links and it proved to be compulsive and educational reading. :)

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

After reading the last couple of posts, I can't resist posting up this photo of a juvenile(?) Kestrel. Rhossili, July 2017.
Dsc01414.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Thursday 27th September 2018 – Egg hunt….

I always like to spend a few hours every year searching the blackthorn for Brown Hairstreak ova so I travelled down to West Williamston in Pembrokeshire in quite heavy mist which had not lifted by the time I arrived at 10.40am.

Overall, I could only find 23 eggs which was a bit of a disappointment as I’ve previously hit three figures here. The bulk of them were found in the field next to the car park:
1.WW(1).jpg
By 11.25 the mist suddenly and rapidly faded away and with a near absence of any wind, conditions were extremely pleasant.
Sad to say that butterfly numbers did not respond; I saw only 10 in total prior to leaving the site at 1.05pm.

Four of those ten were Small Coppers, with this one in the best condition:
1.SC(1).jpg
Two Speckled Woods, a female Small White and a Red Admiral were seen, but most surprising was this Peacock, the first I’ve seen for several weeks:
1.Peacock(1).jpg
The other butterfly was joyous though – a female Brown Hairstreak, still pottering around, inspecting the blackthorn and basking on the shrubs. I've only ever seen one later than this, and that was on 5th October 2013:
1.BHups(1).jpg
1.BHuns(1).jpg
The curtain is definitely coming down here in south Wales.

David M

Post by David M »

Sunday 7th October - Slowing down....

A mild, sunny afternoon tempted me out to the Gower coast at Port Eynon with the hope of seeing a few vanessids feeding on the ivy flowers prior to their impending hibernation.

Sadly, I saw but one - a Red Admiral, and not much else in spite of temperatures of 17c and plenty of valerian still in flower:
1.PtEynon(1).jpg
There were still (surprisingly) a few Small Whites buzzing around - I saw nine in total, all of which were males:
1.rapae(1).jpg
The other butterfly seen was this Speckled Wood:
1.aegeria(1).jpg
The rest of October might be a lonely place with Small Coppers now seemingly gone and the paucity of aristocrats this year. Normally I see a butterfly or two round here in November (and even December occasionally) but that looks a long shot this time round.
Last edited by David M on Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jenks

Re: 7 Oct 2018

Post by jenks »

Took a walk around Lavernock NNR, between Penarth and Barry on the South Glam coast, yesterday from 10.30 to 14.00 hrs. Good numbers of Small White still about (10 at least), 2 x Large White, 2 x Speckled Wood, 1 x Red Admiral and 1 very faded Small Copper. Also 2 Common Darters whizzing around the pond. Best sighting was a female Sparrowhawk which shot past me and dropped into a flock of c40-50 Goldfinches feeding on the Thistle and Teasels in the meadow. I walked to within 6 feet of the area and the Sprawk took off with a young Goldfinch in her talons. Sunday lunch; one Goldfinch, served rare. Jays were prominent too, collecting nuts to store in their larder.

Jenks.

David M

Post by David M »

Sunday 21st October 2018 – Dying a death….

Not for we in Wales this spectacle of additional brood Common Blue, Brown Argus, Wall Brown et al….in fact, all that remains are the species you’d expect at this time of year, only this time round vanessids are particularly scarce.

With sunny skies appearing around midday (in spite of the cloudy forecast) and temperatures around 16c, I spent an hour on the dunes at Port Eynon on the south Gower coast between 12.40 and 1.40pm.

For half an hour, there wasn’t a butterfly to be seen but I then saw two simultaneously – a Painted Lady looking for warmth on the dunes as well as a passing Red Admiral.

A diversion up the path that leads to the headland afforded me this pleasant view:
1PtEynon(1).jpg
I then saw two Speckled Woods within 20m of one another. This rather tatty one was the only individual to alight:
1aegeria(1).jpg
Feeling rather short-changed, I diverted off the more direct path back to the car so I could search for the Painted Lady I’d briefly seen earlier again.
Sure enough, I found her feasting on the best patch of valerian on the site:
1PL2(1).jpg
She was in no mood to leave, but with my car park ticket fast running out I had to say my goodbyes, and with temperatures set to drop to single figures by next weekend, I have to ask myself (rather prematurely perhaps) whether I’ve seen my last butterfly of 2018:
1PL1(1).jpg

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

You seem to have had a very similar trip to my own today David ,I also had the feeling that I was watching the last few butterflies of the season ,they were hard to come by ! spent a good half hour following a female Small Copper busily crawling around looking for the perfect Sorrel to lay an egg or two.
I,d liked to have seen your Painted Lady when she (think its a she !) was fresh ,I reckon Ab;Ocellata , found one At Dungeness on Friday.
(see sightings ) Regards Allan.W.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great Brown Hairstreak find David. And I hope that PL is not your last butterfly of the year! :?

Cheers

David M

Post by David M »

Saturday 12th January 2019 - hibernator wakes up....

Late this morning, I had a pleasant surprise. My neighbour called with a glass jar inside of which was a Small Tortoiseshell, which she had found fluttering around in her cottage:
1STort(1).jpg
I duly soaked some kitchen roll in warm, sugary water so it could feed, and after a few minutes it decided to do a few circuits of my living room.

The insect is now in a cool, dark, dry place and I will check on it regularly and release it on a suitable morning in early March.
trevor

Post by trevor »

That Small Tortoiseshell is a lovely ( and lucky ) specimen, David.
Last year they were very scarce around here, I can't remember another year when I've seen so few.
The Summer garden is not the same without them.

Fingers crossed for this year.
Trevor.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David , I bet that gave you lovely surprise for January :D It looks to be in good shape too and some thing to look after over the next couple of months. :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for the comments, Trevor/Goldie.

Thursday 17th January 2019 - January butterfly.....

I had to stay at home today waiting for a bed to be delivered. It was a beautiful winter's day, and at 11.40am, whilst sitting on my sofa, I became aware of a familiar flight pattern just outside my cottage.

I opened my patio doors and sure enough, there was a Red Admiral fluttering around my gutters. It flew towards the cottage two doors down from me and settled on the edge of the guttering at which point I shot back inside to get my camera.

Sadly, in the 10 seconds it took me to get back out, the insect had been disturbed by a large delivery van, and the last I saw of it was as it flew away over the row of cottages at the end of my lane.

This is the first time I have ever seen an active butterfly in the month of January in the UK, although given the mild conditions for much of this winter, I suppose it shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

Dates of first sightings 2019:

1. Red Admiral - 17 January, Langrove, Swansea
2. Brimstone - 15 February, Swansea Vale
3. Painted Lady - 17 February, Oystermouth Cemetery, Swansea
4. Peacock - 21 February, Cwm Ivy, nr. Llanmadoc, Gower, Swansea
5. Comma - 22 February, Swansea Vale
6. Small Tortoiseshell - 24 February, Swansea Vale
7. Orange Tip - 28 March, Whiteford Burrows, NW Gower
8. Small White - 28 March, Lower Kilvey Hill, Swansea
9. Green Veined White - 30 March, Cwm Ivy, nr. Llanmadoc, Gower, Swansea
10. Holly Blue -30 March, Cwm Ivy, nr. Llanmadoc, Gower, Swansea
11. Speckled Wood - 7 April, Lower Kilvey Hill, Swansea
12. Large White - 7 April, Lower Kilvey Hill, Swansea
13. Brown Argus - 18 April, Whiteford Burrows, NW Gower
14. Green Hairstreak - 18 April, Welshmoor, Gower, Swansea
15. Grizzled Skipper - 19 April, Merthyr Mawr, nr. Porthcawl, Glamorgan
16. Small Copper - 20 April, Upper Kilvey Hill, Swansea
17. Duke of Burgundy - 22 April, Rodborough Common, Stroud, Gloucestershire
18. Pearl Bordered Fritillary - 22 April, Ewyas Harold Common, nr. Pontrilas, Herefordshire
19. Wall Brown - 4 May, Dan-y-Graig Cemetery, Port Tennant, Swansea
20. Common Blue - 4 May, Crymlyn Burrows, Swansea
21. Dingy Skipper - 10 May, Swansea Vale
22. Small Heath - 11 May, Whiteford Burrows, Gower, Swansea
23. Small Blue - 12 May, Crymlyn Burrows, Swansea
24. Marsh Fritillary - 16 May, Fairwood Common, Gower, Swansea
25. Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary - 16 May, Fairwood Common, Gower, Swansea
26. Meadow Brown - 6 June, Whiteford Burrows, NW Gower
27. Large Skipper - 9 June, Crymlyn Burrows, Swansea
28. Ringlet - 27 June, Old Castle Down, nr. Ewenny, Glamorgan
29. Dark Green Fritillary - 27 June, Old Castle Down, nr. Ewenny, Glamorgan
30. High Brown Fritillary - 27 June, Alun Valley, nr. Ewenny, Glamorgan
31. White Letter Hairstreak - 27 June, Glanymor Park, Loughor
32. Marbled White - 14 July, Whiteford Burrows, NW Gower
33. Small Skipper - 14 July, Whiteford Burrows, NW Gower
34. Hedge Brown - 21 July, Castle Meadows, Abergavenny
35. Essex Skipper - 21 July, Castle Meadows, Abergavenny
36. Grayling - 25 July, Mumbles Head, Gower, Swansea
37. Silver Washed Fritillary - 15 August, West Williamston, Pembrokeshire
38. Brown Hairstreak - 15 August, West Williamston, Pembrokeshire
39. Clouded Yellow - 14 September, Port Eynon, Gower, Swansea

Last UK butterfly sighting - Red Admiral - 10th November, Port Eynon, Gower, Swansea

UK butterflies seen on the continent in 2019 but NOT seen in the UK:

40. Lulworth Skipper
41. Chequered Skipper
42. Silver Spotted Skipper
43. Adonis Blue
44. Silver Studded Blue
45. Swallowtail
46. Wood White
47. Purple Hairstreak
48. Black Hairstreak
49. Mountain (Northern Brown) Argus
50. Large Blue
51. White Admiral
52. Heath Fritillary
53. Glanville Fritillary
54. Mountain Ringlet

UK species not seen: Purple Emperor, Cryptic Wood White, Scotch Argus, Large Heath & Chalkhill Blue.

NON UK species seen in 2019:

French Pyrenees:

55. Apollo
56. Clouded Apollo
57. Spanish Festoon
58. Iberian Scarce Swallowtail
59. Provence Orange Tip
60. Black Veined White
61. Berger's Clouded Yellow
62. Cleopatra
63. Southern Small White
64. Bath White
65. Tufted Marbled Skipper
66. Oberthur's Grizzled Skipper
67. Large Grizzled Skipper
68. Safflower Skipper
69. Olive Skipper
70. Red Underwing Skipper
71. Nettle Tree Butterfly
72. Map
73. Southern White Admiral
74. Camberwell Beauty
75. DePrunner's Ringlet
76. Bright Eyed Ringlet
77. Provençal Fritillary
78. Weaver's Fritillary
79. Queen of Spain Fritillary
80. False Heath Fritillary
81. Spotted Fritillary
82. Meadow Fritillary
83. Knapweed Fritillary
84. Pearly Heath
85. Large Wall
86. Spanish Gatekeeper
87. Western Marbled White
88. Geranium Bronze
89. Provençal Short Tailed Blue
90. Osiris Blue
91. Mazarine Blue
92. Green Underside Blue
93. Amanda's Blue
94. Turquoise Blue
95. Chapman's Blue
96. Chequered Blue
97. Violet Copper
98. Purple-Shot Copper
99. Purple-Edged Copper
100. Sooty Copper

Italy, Piedmont Alps:

101. Niobe Fritillary
102. Marbled Fritillary
103. Titania's Fritillary
104. Scarce Fritillary
105. Lesser Spotted Fritillary
106. Nickerl's Fritillary
107. Poplar Admiral
108. Almond Eyed Ringlet
109. Piedmont Ringlet
110. Northern Wall Brown
111. Great Banded Grayling
112. Mountain Green Veined White
113. Mountain Clouded Yellow
114. Scarce Swallowtail
115. Scarce Copper
116. Sloe Hairstreak
117. Blue Spot Hairstreak
118. Lang's Short Tailed Blue
119. Baton Blue
120. Alcon Blue
121. Reverdin's Blue
122. Geranium Argus
123. Mountain Argus
124. Escher's Blue
125. Meleager's Blue
126. Mallow Skipper
127. Marbled Skipper
128. Foulquier's Grizzled Skipper

French Alps:

129. Silvery Argus
130. Mountain Alcon Blue
131. Glandon Blue
132. Idas Blue
133. Alpine Blue
134. Damon Blue
135. Eros Blue
136. Long Tailed Blue
137. Ilex Hairstreak
138. False Ilex Hairstreak
139. Small Apollo
140. Dusky Grizzled Skipper
141. Alpine Grizzled Skipper
142. Mountain Dappled White
143. Peak White
144. Large Tortoiseshell
145. Southern Comma
146. Mountain Fritillary
147. Shepherd's Fritillary
148. Lesser Marbled Fritillary
149. Balkan Fritillary
150. Cynthia's Fritillary
151. Grison's Fritillary
152. Dusky Heath
153. Darwin's Heath
154. Alpine Heath
155. Chestnut Heath
156. False Mnestra Ringlet
157. Common Brassy Ringlet
158. Large Ringlet
159. Blind Ringlet
160. Dewy Ringlet
161. Woodland Grayling
162. Great Sooty Satyr

Spain, Montes Universales:

163. Zapater's Ringlet
164. Cardinal
165. Twin-Spot Fritillary
166. Southern Gatekeeper
167. Dusky Meadow Brown
168. Oriental Meadow Brown
169. Esper's Marbled White
170. Iberian Marbled White
171. Black Satyr
172. Rock Grayling
173. Tree Grayling
174. Striped Grayling
175. False Grayling
176. Hermit
177. Southern Hermit
178. Southern Marbled Skipper
179. Sage Skipper
180. Cinquefoil Skipper
181. Rosy Grizzled Skipper
182. Mother of Pearl Blue
183. Azure Chalkhill Blue
184. Spanish Chalkhill Blue
185. Oberthur's Anomalous Blue
186. Panoptes Blue
187. Spanish Argus

Total species seen in 2019 - 187
Last edited by David M on Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 38 times in total.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Good job with the Small Tortoiseshell David. :D I was in Dorset last week, didn't see any butterflies but I did see a bee.
David M

Post by David M »

Friday 15th February 2019 - Too warm for February...

A second consecutive gloriously mild and sunny mid February day saw me take an hour at lunch time to see if I could succeed where I failed yesterday afternoon. Clearly, two days of 12/13c and wall to wall sunshine was enough to generate some activity - I saw at least 3 different male Brimstones, although the area where I reliably find early Small Tortoiseshells had precious few flowering celandines, so I suspect I'll have to wait until the next mild day (which could be mid March given the vagaries of the Welsh weather!)

Sadly, none of the Brimstones was in any mood to alight, even briefly. That meant I had to rely on good fortune with a few 'air shots':
1Brimstone(1).jpg
In frustration, I eventually resorted to filming one on my mobile phone as it flew around the vegetation beside the stream that runs through this site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ziz0c4LYGM[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ziz0c4LYGM

Although south Wales is forecast cloudy over the weekend, the SE of England looks as though it may enjoy a couple more 'balmy' days, so I hope those living there can make the most of these unseasonal conditions.
David M

Post by David M »

Sunday 17th February 2019 – Extraordinary…….

By noon the early mist and drizzle had cleared, and with temperatures again hovering around 12c, I decided to get out for an hour or so.

With the wind being quite fresh, I opted for Oystermouth Cemetery in Mumbles, which is extremely well protected from the elements.
Oystermouth(1).jpg
I’d done a complete circuit and seen no butterflies (although bumble bees, nuthatches, green woodpeckers, jays and wrens provided company).

I passed one more time by the upper slope and thought I saw a butterfly, but reckoned it was more likely a falling leaf as the colour was nowhere near dark enough for a Comma or Tortoiseshell. A few seconds later, however, it took to the air, so I approached it. It was the only butterfly I saw, but it was a good one:
3PL(1).jpg
2PL(1).jpg
1PL1(1).jpg
Three years ago, I saw a Painted Lady on 28th February in Swansea, so clearly they can get here early in the year when conditions are favourable. No doubt the prolonged spell of southerly winds has helped.

The recent mild weather has also helped my spring bulbs. This time last week they were only just beginning to show. Look at them now:
1Hyacinths(1).jpg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Looks in good nick as well, David. No doubt an early immigrant, like the ones reported from Cornwall.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Nice one with the Painted Lady David :D

There has been a bit of moth migrant activity reported over the weekend so I guess it probably came in with those.

Cheer,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”