ernie f

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
ernie f

Re: ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel - I'm glad I've given you something to do during the winter. :lol:

Trevor - I was lucky to get the pic of the Short-eared Owl in flight. I knew they were at Farlington but never thought I'd get that lucky. I have seen them a few times in my life - particularly on a holiday in Orkney some years ago. But I have never, ever heard one call like you have. Maybe they only do it at night - for maximum spookiness! :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

The Last Post - 30th Sep 2018

Today is my last planned diary entry of my first year on UK butterflies. Its been great to read about the things that other people have seen and I have learnt a lot from you all.

I thought I’d take this opportunity to recap the best moments that I remember from other people’s posts. I have not looked them up again so I cannot refer to them by whom, where and when they were posted so I’ll merely list them - they are not in any priority order but I have only selected those that I remember which were specific to butterflies and moths in the UK.

• The image of a mating pair of Purple Emperors on the ground.
• The 4-wing Purple Emperor pic from underneath.
• The image of a White Letter Hairstreak from above showing how the tails splay out to mimic antennae.
• The image of a Brown Hairstreak ditto with not only its tails splayed but also bulges on the hindwings imitating a head when seen from above.
• The image and the text on how the image was obtained of a mating pair of Peacock butterflies.
• The announcement of the Black Hairstreak population at Ditchling Common in Sussex.
• My realisation for the first time of the true size and potential for European significance of the Small Copper community at Dungeness.
• The incredible numbers of Purple Emperor counted at Knepp Woods.
• The site near Steyning in Sussex where there were so many Adonis Blues that someone posted they could see many mating all at the same time.
• The ab White Admiral that was completely black.
• Animated GIFs of butterflies such as Green Hairstreak and Small Blue wing-rolling and thanks to Bugboy for animating my own efforts.
• A group of whites “mud puddling” in Britain.
• The knowledge of the unusual courtship behaviours of the Grayling.
• The knowledge that there is a limestone-based Grayling community at Portland.
• The picture of two male Grayling mating with the same female at the same time (OK it wasn’t posted originally in this year but it was referred to me this year).
• The charming photo of a Small Tortoiseshell using a set of dandelion blooms as a “Stairway to Heaven”.
• The close-up of the Orange Tip which showed how the wing-pattern was made-up.
• The Common Blue with one hindwing miniaturised.
• The pair of Lulworth Skippers in-cop.
• Large Blue egglaying.
• Adonis Blue male wing-rolling while in-cop.
• The series of Gifs of the Humingbird Hawkmoth in-flight and feeding.
• The picture of three Grizzled Skippers on the same plant but separated, each to its own flowerbud.
• An almost black female Adonis with a speckling of blue scales.
• The mating Small Heath “Odd Couple”. One mini ab and the other with an odd varient of spotting on its wing.
• Pic of Purple Emperor with purple hindwings but black forewings.
• The knowledge that late-flying Small Coppers seem to be able to get sustainance from ripe blackberries or the dew from the surface of unripe ones when there are no flowers around to nectar from.
• The picture of a pair of Wall butterflies in-cop.
• Bugboys mission completed.

I know there were many, many others which I liked at the time but I cannot now remember their specifics. Age is getting the better of me I am afraid.

Non-butterfly snapshot of the day

I was exploring a part of the Alice Holt woodland which was wild and secretive when I came across a marvellously rare thing. I have seen books and TV shows about this creature but I never thought I would be lucky enough to see one for real, let alone get a photograph of it.

I only caught a glimpse as it went by.

I do not think it saw me as it seemed to be in deep conversation with a small mouse.
Gruffalo adult 2 (1).JPG
Best Wishes to you all.

I won’t be going away completely. I shall be dipping in to read your PDs and to add replies from time to time and I may even add to my PD if something really good comes up. But this is the last of my (almost) daily PD posts.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great reading about the highlights Ernie and a great first year with your PD :) Hopefully you'll be able to make it to the winter Social :D And didn't you know there's no such thing as the thing you got a photo of? :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Bye, Bye, for a little while ernie, :D Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Ernie - it's been fascinating reading your posts and seeing your photos. It's great getting different slants on things! As Wurzel says come along to the social, it really isn't far from you. And by the way, he's having you on - I saw one of those a few years ago in a deep dark wood somewhere... :wink:

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

It'll be a shame to lose you, ernie (albeit temporarily). Your list of highlights is pretty impressive, particularly the mating Emperors, which is something even Neil Hulme only gets to see occasionally!

Please drop back in occasionally, even if it means updating us with your non-butterfly stuff, which is worthy in itself.

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Thank you all. I'll see if I can make it to that social.

I think I have ID'd the beast in the wood as Grufallus silvestrii. I have also heard that the even rarer Hominis stickus has been seen there too. I'll let you know if I see him. :D

By the way - I looked it up. It was Neil Hulme who took those wonderful pics of Purple Emperors mating on the ground. Well remembered, Dave.

Ernie F
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

What a lovely post to finish your year's entries, Ernie. There is always so much going on in the PDs, and so many amazing photographs, that it's wonderful to recognise a couple of my own posts in your list - what a lovely warm feeling for a Monday morning! :D

As someone else who started posted on UKB this year, I also echo your sentiments about learning a lot from everybody!

David M

Post by David M »

ernie f wrote:...It was Neil Hulme who took those wonderful pics of Purple Emperors mating on the ground. Well remembered, Dave.
I thought a few others had been present during this episode, ernie? I hope Neil didn't bag it all for himself.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I made it onto your highlights :D .

You're welcome to come to the winter social btw, to put faces to some of the regular users :)

https://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB/v ... f=3&t=9917

Some addictions are good for the soul!
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Broxhead - 9th October 2018

In my last post I said I would add to my PD on occasion if I found something of note.

Today at Broxhead I found a Brown Argus still flying - but only just as it was very frayed by now. This is the latest in any year I have ever seen a Brown Argus in flight! I recognised him too as I had seen him before. I remember the first defect he suffered, a straight slice cut out of his left hindwing and it was still vaguely discernable today among the remaining ragged edges. An old friend.
P1030186.JPG
And there are still 8 Small Coppers flying about here too. Two males were in pursuit of females doing Turkey Trots.

One landed on a ripe acorn on the ground.
P1030177.JPG
Another landed on a small leaf which the breeze blew away with him still on it, but it turned him upside-down as he clung on for dear life!
P1030174.JPG
Non-butterfly Snapshot of the day.

On my doorstep. This is a Western Conifer Seed Bug, one of the Squash Bugs. I read up on it. Apparently it was introduced from the USA into Europe in 1999 (by design or by accident I don’t know) and has from 2008 made its home over here. It likes to hibernate in buildings and seeks out suitable sites in Autumn which I suppose is why it was on my doorstep. He's a pretty smart-looking fellow.
Western Conifer Seed Bug.JPG

Ernie F
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Love the Short-eared Owls Ernie, well done. :D Your fungi selections have helped me identify some that I have seen so thanks for that. :D

Cheers

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Ernie :D Thanks for the Squash Bug ID, I saw one a couple of days ago and wondered what the hell it was :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Ernie
Great first year :D . I am already looking forward to the next one. I am sure at some point we will bump into each other. I have learned quite a bit from your in depth analysis on various topics and your 'non-butterfly shots of the day' :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Ernie, You have posted some really interesting stuff in your diary during your first year. I usually keep mine ticking over through the winter with various stuff, usually birds or moths from my garden.

I have had a few of those bugs in my moth trap recently and was going to try and ID them so thanks for posting that photo :D

Cheers,

Neil.

David M

Post by David M »

It's always satisfying when you see an individual butterfly that you recognise from several days previously, ernie.....especially when it's a Brown Argus in October! :mrgreen:

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

David M – Yes I was amazed a Brown Argus was still flying so late in the year. I now wonder if I shall see a Small Copper in the fourth week of October – not something I have ever seen before. But maybe after the storm we just had, that is asking too much.

Neil – That’s the first time I’ve seen that squash bug. If our climate warms up more (as it will) I think we can look forward to a few more newcomers to our shores. Unfortunately we shall lose some too.

Wurzel – It looks like those bugs are getting to be quite common over here now.

Paul – Thanks for your comments. No doubt we will meet up at some point. I am already starting to make it a habit of asking people I meet at my local nature reserves if they know about the UK butterflies website. If I don’t I could easily talk to someone who posts here and I’d never know it.

Andrew – I’m glad to help with your fungi id-ing. I am no expert though and so I am constantly surprised by the variety of any given species, especially as they age. Even the more common ones can sometimes be difficult because of that.

Bugboy – You was always going to be on my end-of-year list as soon as you met your mission target – and what a way to do it too!

Callum – It was a pleasure to include stuff from your year on my end-of-year list.

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Today I came across one of the fungi I have been wanting to see ever since I bought a book on fungi years ago and saw it in there. And there was a dozen or so of them along the roadside verge at Kingsley.

It is the Magpie Inkcap.

One of them was about 8 inches tall! Another had a cap that was flipping up at the edges and another was melting (common stages for the Inkcaps to pass through). There were ones with a black ground colour while others were brown. If you are lucky sometimes the white flecks lift off and stick out. None of the ones I saw today were doing that though. My book says it is a mushroom of Southern Britain, only rarely being found in the north but I have to say – I have had an interest in fungi for a great many years and have always lived in the south and this is the first time I have come across them so they can’t be that common down here either really.
Coprinus picaceus - Magpie Inkcap (10).JPG
Coprinus picaceus - Magpie Inkcap (3).JPG
Coprinus picaceus - Magpie Inkcap (5).JPG

Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's a really interesting looking fungus Ernie :D I'd say that I'd keep my eye out for some but if they're as scarce as you say then perhaps the best way would be to just stumble upon them :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

After delighting us with a diverse range of fungi this year, ernie, it's only fair that you stumbled upon your holy grail!

That's a fascinating looking work of nature and, according to the information I've looked up, quite scarce too!

Return to “Personal Diaries”