millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

Thursday September 27th. Once again, a beautiful warm and sunny day. I set off at a leisurely pace down to Denbies, as much as anything because there had been reports of Clouded Yellows here as well, and seeing one inland would make a change. Compared to Mill Hill, there really wasn't much flying here at all - a few Meadow Browns, slightly more numerous Small Heaths and a handful of the very last Adonis females were pretty much it.
MB1 270918.JPG
AB2 270918.JPG
AB1 270918.JPG
One or two other flypasts (Speckled Wood, Small Copper, Red Admiral, Brimstone, Small White) before the target species appeared in the distance. As evver, it came tantalisingly close before heading off past me. Denbies is a large hillside, and any regular circuits a Clouded Yellow makes take a considerable time, and they tend to get distracted off the route as well. Nevertheless, I saw the same butterfly at least six times (or six individuals once, or perhaps any permutation in between that maths allows...). It did stop a few times, but never near enough for more than shots providing evidence of its existence and the fact that it seemed to be a male.
CY1 270918.JPG
CY2 270918.JPG
With the customary strong breeze blowing despite almost calm conditions everywhere else, and bright sun, in the end I restricted myself to a shot or two of the view.
view 270918.JPG
I popped into the vineyard afterwards, where the harvest was underway already, and took a few views here as well.
Box Hill in the background
Box Hill in the background
Looking up the hill towards Ranmore
Looking up the hill towards Ranmore
Ripe and ready
Ripe and ready
Returning home, it was worth a look on my local patch as at this time of year there can often be more to see!

Dave

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Great to see you on Wednesday - I enjoyed it so much I went back again today!

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Good to see you too, Katrina! :) There is some more decent weather forecast for the middle of the coming week so I may well have to pop down again too. :wink: :)

Back home again on 27th September, and as predicted a different set of things to see. Things kicked off with a Holly Blue, something that has been absent for nearly three weeks now. It skulked in the shade unfortunately, but at least it stayed put.
HB1 270918.JPG
Next to be seen was another long absent species: a Peacock high on some buddleia (last seen around here on 14th July). Possibly a second brood butterfly like those at Mill Hill.
Peacock1 270918.JPG
Commonest species today was the Common Blue - entirely missing from Denbies now, where the third brood hasn't happened at all as far as I can see. However, the habitat here on my local patch has so many thistles they all quickly acquire rips and tears.
CB1 270918.JPG
CB2 270918.JPG
CB3 270918.JPG
This was also true of the two Small Coppers I saw today.
SC2 270918.JPG
Large and Small Whites, plus several Speckled Woods, completed the list.
SpW1 270918.JPG
Dave
Last edited by millerd on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

With those vineyards and a Clouded Yellow in great nick that could be somewhere continental Dave :shock: :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Is that where Denbies grow there grapes, Dave?

millerd

Post by millerd »

True, Wurzel, not a traditionally English scene. Denbies is a massive vineyard - I believe at one time it was the largest vineyard in single ownership in Europe (most continental vineyards were actually owned by lots of individuals who pooled their shares: this may still be the case). The wine is pretty good, especially the various types of fizz - in common with many English vineyards. And, as I've mentioned before, there is the Surrey Hills Brewery round the back. :)

The butterfly hillside is further on to the west , David, but yes, this is where Denbies English Wine is grown.

Friday 28th September. Still mostly sunny today, but distinctly cooler as promised. First off, I decided to revisit Bedfont Lakes Country Park. Since retiring last year, I am not on the doorstep as I used to be at work, so I neglect this patch. Today wasn't especially thrilling, with two third brood Common Blues and two Small Whites seen.
CB1 280918.JPG
CB2 280918.JPG
CB3 280918.JPG
SW1 280918.JPG
Clouded Yellows do turn up here, but not today.

For the afternoon, it had to be my local patch again. Nine species seen (there were seven yesterday):
Speckled Wood 5
Small White 5
Common Blue 4
Red Admiral 2
Holly Blue 2
Brown Argus 2
Small Heath 1
Small Copper 1
Peacock 1
The Peacock was probably the same one as I saw yesterday, but this time I had some better views.
Peacock1 280918.JPG
Peacock2 280918.JPG
The Small Copper looked familiar too, and I cannot resist the poses these characterful butterflies strike at every opportunity.
SC2 280918.JPG
SC3 280918.JPG
There may not be as many pebbles as there are at Dungeness, but something in their make-up causes them to seek out stones to perch on.
SC1 280918.JPG
Unfortunately the two very worn female Brown Argus wouldn't keep still in their investigation of the ground litter for minuscule cranesbill plants, and the two Holly Blues were flying high - they looked by their bright colour to be fresh males. I did manage shots of two of the other species seen, however.
SpW1 280918.JPG
CB1 280918.JPG
Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It's great you've seen a Peacock Dave, I used to have loads in my Garden and I've not had one this year, a fact that makes me wonder if their on the endangered list for local Butterflies Here :( Goldie :)

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Goldie - the last one I saw here was way back in early July so it was a pleasant surprise. :)

Saturday 29th September: another sunny and warm day. By chance, I had been invited to afternoon tea celebrating a friend's 50th birthday down in Eastbourne. With the morning to take advantage of, I set off early enough to have an hour or two at High & Over which after all is not by any means very far from my later rendezvous.

On arriving at the car park I found it full of large vehicles housing parascending enthusiasts, who were busy jumping off the top of the ridge and riding the thermals the sunshine was generating. However, I spotted a space big enough for my normal-sized car but clearly too small for the assorted wide/high/long monstrosities parked along the verges. As I walked down the path through the trees, I was surrounded by an assortment of Speckled Woods charging about in the strong sunshine, and looking pretty fresh too. I watched a couple gyrate in the air for a while, when one of them plummeted into the undergrowth. Peering through the leaves, I watched the "playing dead" act performed by the female spurning a would-be suitor. He hung around briefly and then gave up. However, she stayed immobile for a bit longer, just in case, allowing me a couple of quick shots through the shade into the pool of bright sunshine where she was lying.
SpW1 290918.JPG
Clearly she didn't see me as any kind of threat as she then quickly sat up and flew off.

Out of the trees and down the steps, where there were two Walls arguing strenuously over the territory. The (temporary) victor paused to take stock.
Wall1 290918.JPG
There were perhaps half a dozen male Walls in the area, mostly on the northern side of the hedge today, and a couple of females were spotted as well but were camera-shy and ranging out across the open spaces. One male in particular had developed an obsession about one of the few remaining ragwort plants, returning time and time again to nectar and offering unusually good photo opportunities for this notoriously skittish species.
Wall13 290918.JPG
Wall15 290918.JPG
Wall16 290918.JPG
It posed elsewhere as well, as did one or two others.
Wall4 290918.JPG
Wall5 290918.JPG
Wall9 290928.JPG
Wall10 290918.JPG
Wall11 290918.JPG
Wall17 290918.JPG
Well worth the slight detour before the main event of the day!
Wall6 290928.JPG
Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Good set of Walls there Dave. They're having a fabulous end of year party!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Pleased you had a great morning with the squabbling Walls,
And plenty of great shots. The last one in your sequence looks pretty fresh.

Hope they last a while longer,
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of Walls Dave - it must be great seeing more than a solitary one :D :mrgreen:
I got a bit of a shock as I read your post - "parascending enthusiasts", "a couple gyrating in the air" plummeted into the undergrowth" and "dead" was what my extremely tired brain took in :shock: " Hold on this isn't anything like Dave's usual posts, it's all gone very, very dark! :shock: "
It made a lot more sense and was much more cheerful when I reread it :oops: :roll: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great reports Dave, I like the Coppers, Cloudies and Walls. I too have enjoyed the Hemp Agrimony corner at Mill Hill recently. :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, everyone - High & Over is the place to go for Walls, as Trevor will tell you. :wink: :)

Sunday 30th September: Big Ship Day in our family... :) I was watching my son play rugby again this morning, but the wildflower bed next to the playing fields no longer had any Common Blues. It did, however, have a moth: I was even able to identify it as a Box Tree moth following the recents postings here.
Box Tree Moth 300918.JPG
They really are spreading.

Monday 1st October: Three-quarters of the year gone - how did that happen? :shock: I had another stroll around my local patch on a day that was cooler than of late and a bit breezy, but sunny enough to bring out a few things. I found a Comma, unusually down on the ground, and a look at the photos shows that it was sucking up moisture from the leaf litter.
Comma1 011018.JPG
Comma2 011018.JPG
The ragged Common Blues of a few days ago had now been replaced by a selection of new and unscathed male butterflies:
CB3 011018.JPG
CB5 011018.JPG
CB6 011018.JPG
CB9 011018.JPG
CB10 011018.JPG
CB1 011018.JPG
There was a single female, seeking suitable plants to lay on.
CB12 011018.JPG
A nearby leaf appeared to already have an egg attached.
CB egg 011018.JPG
I spotted the Small Copper I had seen a couple of times previously:
SC1 011018.JPG
It appeared to have adopted a particular pebble as a perch, and kept returning to it.
SC2 011018.JPG
However, all was not to remain calm, as a newcomer appeared.
SC3 011018.JPG
SC4 011018.JPG
The second Copper made a daring approach...
SCx2 2 011018.JPG
...with inevitable consequences.
SCx2 3 011018.JPG
The two spent ages locked in tight dogfights, zooming across the ground and then settling next to one another.
SCx2 1 011018.JPG
SCx2 4 011018.JPG
You would almost think in the end that a truce had been declared.
SCx2 5 011018.JPG
Finally, a single Small Heath flew past, confusing the Coppers no end, and settled somewhat precariously.
SH1 011018.JPG
Not that many butterflies seen in total today (only 12), but plenty of interest - the Coppers were most entertaining. :)

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for confirmation regarding the vineyard, Dave. Looks a decent spot in all honesty.

You're still doing marvellously well with your species range. Nine in a day is great for late September. Good too that there are Wall Browns to be seen near you. Is this species beginning a recovery or is this year just a one-off?

millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, the vineyard and environs are a very attractive location, David, especially in the sunshine! :)

To be honest, the Walls at High & Over are not really that close - neary a two-hour drive if the traffic is in its habitual clogged-up state. Mill Hill is nearer (about 65 miles), but both are definitely worth the effort. :)

Tuesday 2nd October: noticeably warmer today, but a visit to the dentist and a bit of cloud impeded any longer trip out. A very brief look locally late in the afternoon produced very few butterflies, though these did include a Comma and a Red Admiral.
Comma1 021018.JPG
RA1 021018.JPG
Wednesday 3rd October: today started sunny, became completely overcast for an hour or so, then became very sunny and warm too for the afternoon. I started off with another look down at Banks Common (Bookham). Very few flowers are now left here, but in one area where ragwort remains in bloom, I found the customary Small Copper.
SC1 031018.JPG
Moving to the main meadow area, it appeared that the edge of the field along the hedgerow was in the process of being cut. The trim was not especially short, but the process was mangling the edge of the hedge rather badly and may well have affected some of the Brown Hairstreak eggs laid along here.
tractor 031018.JPG
The other knock-on effect was the removal of the last scabious flowers the Coppers had been using. I didnt stay long enough to see whether the whole field was to be cut - to be honest that would probably do little damage beyond truncating a few bits of suckering blackthorn around the edges. All the butterfly eggs and caterpillars on the BFT, cranesbill and sorrel would be largely untouched by a coarse cut like this.Along the newly cut hedgeline, one Small Copper remained, the only butterfly here.
SC3 031018.JPG
As the sun began to reappear I walked back to the car, finding that several Speckled Woods were now out and about.
SpW2 031018.JPG
SpW3 031018.JPG
SpW4 031018.JPG
Last of all was one more Small Copper.
SC9 031018.JPG
With what looked like a sunny afternoon ahead, I continued down to Denbies again. A very good decision as it turned out... :)

Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

They really have strimmed it back :shock:. Still we have mused on more than one occasion as to the benefits of giving that field a decent annual hair cut :). we might see a mini explosion of activity there next year, perhaps more Dingy Skippers.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Small Heath 'tease' shot Dave in amongst the other brill shots Dave :D Really like the first Comma shot - the Deep Purple colour is gorgeous and the 'Comma' is almost a full circle, almost, so it looks a little like a capital G if you side it with your head tilted :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

You're right, Buggy - it'll be interesting to see what next spring brings. Only six months to go till the first week of April.. :)

Cheers, Wurzel. Yes, that Comma had a very bold marking - it often looks to me like an arm flexing a bicep, though in this case it is almost exactly a "G" shape: g-album perhaps? :)

3rd October: part two, and another visit to Denbies. Perhaps the most surprising thing about the hillside today was the number of Small Heaths that appeared when the sun shone - at least fifteen in various places, with no particular concentrations.
SH1 031018.JPG
SH2 031018.JPG
The next curiosity was that there appeared to be a plague of ladybirds. They were everywhere, settling in my hair, on my clothes and disappearing inside my shirt. Quite bizarre for the time of year.
ladybirds1 031018.JPG
ladybirds2 031018.JPG
ladybirds3 031018.JPG
As for other butterflies, there were still some very ragged Adonis females seeking out the horeshoe vetch, but I did also see a single Common Blue female firstly nectaring and then looking for trefoil.
CB1 031018.JPG
CB2 031018.JPG
Similarly, a Small Copper was searching hard for sorrel.
SC3 031018.JPG
However, today's stars were the Clouded Yellows. I think there were four or five, but it could have been more. I certainly had three in view at one time. There were at least two freshly emerged females, which obligingly hopped from flower to flower, building up energy to set about laying, and allowing for some reasonable shots for a change. The males on the other hand rarely stopped in their wide-ranging patrols of the slopes.
CY3 031018.JPG
CY4 031018.JPG
CY8 031018.JPG
CY9 031018.JPG
CY10 031018.JPG
CY12 031018.JPG
With their relatively lazy flight, I tried to get some shots of a female on the wing, just to see if I could capture an upperside view.
CY2 031018.JPG
CY1 031018.JPG
My best effort yet - more practice required, though...

Another shot of the view, over towards Dorking this time.
view1 031018.JPG
A great afternoon once again! :)

Dave
Last edited by millerd on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Superb Cloudie shots, Dave. Including one of my favourite types of image,
light and shadow, great stuff.

Trevor.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Just catching up again Dave, I thought I was reading Hoggers PD for a minute a few posts back with those Small Coppers :lol:

Great Clouded Yellow shots :mrgreen: :D. Good to see there are plenty of butterflies about down there still, things are definitely coming to an end up here although I hear there were good numbers of Clouded Yellows about earlier in the week at Sywell Country Park in Northamptonshire so they are not all down south :wink:

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”