September 2018

Discussion forum for sightings.
Rivoldini

Re: September 2018

Post by Rivoldini »

Comma has now made friends with a Speckled Wood, Gateshead this morning.
Attachments
b.jpg
jenks

Post by jenks »

Hi all,

I`ve just read on the Portland Bird Obs website that there is a Monarch butterfly in their garden at the moment. The message was posted about 58 minutes ago, together with photo. So if there are any UKB members in the area you may wish to check it out.

Jenks
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I have been off line for nearly three weeks with some unknown access problem. Pete did his best to diagnose but without success. Suddenly for no obvious reason, it's working again today.

So back to the Tortoiseshell in my car.
Hmmmmmmmmm...looks like air/heat venting for a Volvo? :roll:
I have only ever seen a Volvo from the outside :P I have a very ordinary Skoda (aka VW Up!)

Jack
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Another flying, after work visit to a site beside the local footie ground ,which generally holds a few Small Coppers, very overgrown now,
I haven,t been back since the Grizzles finished there back in Mid-June ,but was pleased to find 9 Fresh Coppers ,6 females and 3 Males, Ithink perhaps an earlier visit at the weekend may be in order !
Regards Allan.W.
P1360116.JPG
P1360136.JPG
P1360170.JPG
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

A glorious day on the Sussex coast at Lancing produced a predictably high number of Small Whites, but the next most numerous species was Clouded Yellow, with 6 seen including a mating pair.
Clouded Yellow pair - Lancing, Sussex 25-Sept-2018
Clouded Yellow pair - Lancing, Sussex 25-Sept-2018
There is some superb habitat on either side of the long promenade, including Widewater Lagoon.
Widewater Lagoon, Lancing
Widewater Lagoon, Lancing
Other sightings were singletons of Small Copper and Common Blue.

Vince
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

A trip to Shingle Street, on the Suffolk Coast, to see if any clouded yellows had blown in. When I discovered my usual clover field had been reclaimed by the plough I held out little hope, but I found a single, rather sorry male nevertheless:

He was on the shingle and had perhaps just come in from the sea. After that one photo he headed south along the coast.

Also about on the coast were small whites, common blues and small coppers.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Another afternoon visit to a site near Ashford (Kent) and had a very respectable count of 31 Small Coppers ,including two egg-laying
females ,at this site the females seem to outnumber the males by about 3-1 , the site also has a large Common Lizard population ,and one of the female Coppers had a very lizard like chomp out of its hindwings,the only other butterfly I saw here was a single male Common Blue .
Later at the local footie ground I found 5 Coppers ,all males ,would probably have been more ,but for the wind.
Regards Allan.W.
P1360220.JPG
P1360263.JPG
P1360281.JPG
P1360276.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

I don't think I've ever known Small Coppers to be so plentiful in the UK!

It's been an absolute conundrum these last few weeks and I'd love someone more learned than I to postulate a theory on it.
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

A fresh looking Brimstone (one of three), numerous Speckled Woods, Peacocks, Red Admirals and Whites. A solitary Copper, a Brown Argus a Hummingbird Hawkmoth and many tantalising glimpses of a pair of Clouded Yellows that won't sit still.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Westbury Beacon & Stoke Camp BC reserves, Somerset. Small Coppers (around 20, many fresh, a few a little faded, a couple very small), Common Blue (2 worn females, 2 fresh females, perhaps third-generation), Peacock, Wall (2 relatively fresh males, 1 worn female), Small White (freshly emerged female), Speckled Wood, Small Tortoiseshell (pristine), Brimstone (pristine male). A good species list for the time of the year, but the surprise is the number of apparently freshly-emerged insects, particularly the ones that should overwinter. Could they have emerged late or been aestivating?
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

At Dungeness today counted 32 Small Coppers ,most past there best but still a few in fresh condition ,also saw 6 Common Blues ,all males ,actually I haven't seen a single female in this brood ! fair numbers of large and small Whites ,3 Clouded Yellows ,3 Meadow Browns
14 Small Heath ,a Painted Lady ,2 Peacocks ,lots of plants starting to flower again.
Regards Allan.W.
P1360317.JPG
P1360306.JPG
P1360337.JPG
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

12 species today at Reculver ,Kent. as follows 12 Common Blues (inc 1 female ,my first 3rd brood. ) ,8 Small Coppers ,numerous
Small and Large whites , 4 Peacocks ,4 (min) Clouded Yellows, 2 Green-veins , 4 Peacocks, 2 Wall,and singles of Red Admiral, Brown Argus ,Painted Lady , Small Heath. Amongst the Small Coppers was this individual.
Regards Allan.W.
P1360375.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Thursday 27th - Ten butterflies seen in just less than two hours at West Williamston in Pembrokeshire:

Small Copper 4
Speckled Wood 2
Small White 1
Red Admiral 1
Peacock 1
Brown Hairstreak 1
1.BHups(1).jpg
1.SC(1).jpg
1.Peacock(1).jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Challenge for you David (or anyone else for that matter) - October Brown Hairstreak.

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:Challenge for you David (or anyone else for that matter) - October Brown Hairstreak.
..oh, I'm sure they're still about, Jack. In fact, the latest date I've seen one is 5th October back in 2013 and I believe the all-time record at the Pembroke site is 14th Oct:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4876&start=100
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

An update on the Peacock pupa found at Mill Hill, Sussex as reported here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4065&start=3240#p137057

I finally managed to get to Mill Hill on Saturday 29th September and readily located the Peacock pupa thanks to the detailed directions provided by David Cook. As suspected, the pupa has been parasitised (as evidenced by a large hole in the left side), but it is a very rare find nevertheless.
Peacock pupa (right side) 29-Sept-2018
Peacock pupa (right side) 29-Sept-2018
Peacock pupa (left side) 29-Sept-2018
Peacock pupa (left side) 29-Sept-2018
Vince
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

This afternoon at Dungeness and Dengemarsh still reasonable numbers of butterflies on the wing ,the third brood Coppers are now past their best ,but still managed 14 at Dungeness and 1 at Dengemarsh ,all well worn except the one pictured ,also 11 Common Blues (9 males ,2 females )
2 Brown args; (1 fresh ,1 worn ) around 20 Small Heath ,1 Red Admiral , a few Small Whites ,1 Large White ,2 Clouded Yellow (both Dengemarsh )
and surprisingly a fresh female Meadow Brown.
Regards Allan.W. The plant ,is the scarce, Red Hemp nettle.
P1360424.JPG
P1360422.JPG
P1360435.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

That's a stunning Brown Argus, Allan, one of the best marked I've ever seen in the UK.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Sorry folks ,posted the above in wrong month ! She was a beauty ,thanks David ,she hung around for just two shots before disappearing ! Regards Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

Allan.W. wrote:She was a beauty ,thanks David ,she hung around for just two shots before disappearing !
Indeed she is, Allan. In fact, she looks more like the ones you see on the continent with those much bolder than usual orange lunules.

Return to “Sightings”