Rewell Wood

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Matsukaze

Rewell Wood

Post by Matsukaze »

I'll be in the area of Rewell Wood with time on my hands next week. Obviously I won't see any of the fritillaries that the wood is known for in September, but I'm interested in taking a look around - can anyone advise on where to park and directions from the car park?
Neil Hulme

Re: Rewell Wood

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Matsukaze

Take the concealed turning left (SU982072) off the eastbound A27 dual carriageway between the Fontwell Roundabout and Arundel. Look for a thick overhead cable which services the house on the corner. Both entry and exit are dangerous, with speeding drivers unaware of the turn-off, so go careful. There is a small parking bay for two cars about 70 metres down the track, on the right and marked by logs. Walk north up the track, past the metal gate and past the sawmill on your left. You will soon come to a T-junction, meeting a W-E track. Explore both west and east of this junction to see the habitat being created for PBF. There are other areas within the wood where PBF habitat has been created, but this is the easiest and best part to view via PRoWs.

If you're in the area next spring I would recommend a visit, as I suspect PBF numbers are about to rocket.

BWs, Neil
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Thanks Neil - that's a great help.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I first visited Rewell Wood 45 years ago. PB Fritillaries weren't especially local in Sussex in those days so it was no surprise to find good numbers in Rewell.

Thanks to the efforts of Neil (who would have been mere lad in 1973!) and many others (including landowner, Duke of Norfolk*), Rewell Wood remains in excellent condition.

As you say Matsukaze, no [significant/notable] butterflies at this time of year, but Rewell Wood is a classic, managed, broad leaf woodland and offers some excellent autumn photo opportunities. You could make an entire album of the wood stacks and the wispy smoke from the semi-permanent bonfire.

* The Duke of Norfolk is responsible for arranging the pageantry for the Queen's funeral.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-n ... l-12751264
However, given the Queen's health and longevity, it might be one the Duke's children or even grandchildren who eventually gets the job.

Jack
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I found the site all right, but there was large forestry machinery making use of the track, so I ended up going around the back to Fairmile Bottom instead. A lovely expanse of downland, and it was good to have my feet smelling of marjoram again - there are too few sites in Somerset where I can do that.

Most of the A27 is aligned to sunset at the equinoxes; I wonder what that tells us of the beliefs of its builders?

Return to “Sites”