Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Trevor

Post by millerd »

You did amazingly well, Trevor, considering how windy it's been. That hedge is well placed, providing shelter in one direction or another for the Walls. No wonder they like it up there. Well done on getting that female at last too! :)

Hopefully they will make it through the unpleasant weather forecast this weekend and still be around next week.

Cheers,

Dave

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Wall shots Trevor and the female is the best of the bunch, what a little beauty :D :mrgreen: You've done better than we have weather wise over the last few days - it's been pretty awful over here :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Neil, Dave and Wurzel.

That female Wall was hard won, and fortunately very fresh,
and possibly only hours old.
My particular pleasure from Butterflying is the thrill of the hunt,
each new session is full of anticipation, which is fully satisfied when
a Butterfly that has proved elusive is finally tracked down.

I couldn't resist another image of that beauty,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1220227.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

If you want to see lovely Wall shots your posts must be the best Trevor to look at :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Definitely worth filling yer boots with shots of that female Wall Trevor, a right little beauty :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

They sure are attractive when fresh like that, Trevor. I guess they'll still be around for a week or two so keep searching.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks, Goldie, and some more Walls for you.
I filled my boots again today, Wurzel !.
There's still life in the Wall Browns yet, David.

Once again it was off to High and Over this morning.
This time three more female Wall Browns were seen, one being chased by two males,
and another which was totally uncooperative , then a third which did settle nicely for some shots.
Most males were worn but I did find one fresh specimen. It was also a relief to find a fresh Red Admiral
and a Comma which I carelessly disturbed, thus no image.

Another sighting of ' non Butterfly ' interest was the paddle steamer ' Waverley ' cruising near to shore,
about four miles from High and Over.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1220295.JPG
P1220278.JPG
P1220268.JPG
P1220305.JPG
P1220301.JPG
P1220289.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great Wall shots Trevor especially the final closed wing shot, cracking stuff :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The Waverley looks a little out of place; it used to sail from Weymouth :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel, The Waverley occasionally visits Eastbourne, I'm not sure if
it can berth at the end of the pier or not.

At High and Over this morning, the mainly worn male Wall Browns were
patrolling as usual but I did happen to notice one fresh male among them.
Responding to a glint in the grass, I found a single Small Copper basking.
Among the Speckled Woods battling away in the shade, was a stunning,
fresh female Red Admiral, frequently flying in short hops, after many duff shots,
I managed one reasonable image, and that was the icing on the cake today !.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1220324.JPG
P1220314.JPG
P1220311.JPG
P1220309.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

I've seen Waverley at Dover many years ago, and also in the Bristol Channel. A very nostalgic sight, the maritime equivalent of a steam train! Good to see the Red Admirals, Trevor, and hopefully the Walls will hang on a bit longer in case I can make it down there again. :)

Dave

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Trevor - I just love all those shots of The Wall. I only have one pic in my collection so I admit to being a bit envious.

Your pic of the Waverley brings back memories. A few years ago, my wife and I had a trip on this very boat. It was great. of course you have to go and see the engines while its steamed-up and moving. Quite an experience.

Ernie F
trevor

Post by trevor »

After weeks of photographing ' Brown ' Butterflies, it was great to among the brightly coloured
spectaculars for a change, and indeed a rare treat for this season.
I arranged to meet Dave Cook at Mill Hill this morning, also it was pleasure to meet Kirsty Gibb,
who had beaten us to the large patch of fresh Hemp Agrimony, on which some very fresh Red Admirals,
Peacocks and Painted Ladies were busy nectaring.
I was also shown the now famous Peacock pupae, on the way to the pupae a pure white Helice
Clouded Yellow flew past us, what a sight !.
As the morning wore on a small UKB contingent turned up to enjoy the spectacle, including,
Katrina ( great to see you again ), Dave ( millerd ) and bugboy ( Paul ).
I know for a fact that everyone had a great time, on a very fine day.

Good to see you all again, :D
Trevor.
Attachments
P1220390.JPG
P1220435.JPG
P1220343.JPG
P1220364.JPG
P1220410.JPG
P1220441.JPG
P1220470.JPG
P1220472.JPG
The famous Peacock pupae.
The famous Peacock pupae.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots Trevor, I really envy your Peacock shot :mrgreen: I'm still waiting to see one in my Garden this year :roll: Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic images Trevor :D Though I have to save the :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for the Helice as I've still not seen one :shock: :roll: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Those butterflies all look very familiar :). Good to catch up with you again and I hope the cloudies behave themselves today for you!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

I had a very bad start to my journey today. I joined the end of a queue of traffic
at Selmeston, on the A27, only to discover that the problem, an accident, was seven miles up the road !.
Consequently when I arrived at Shoreham Harbour the Clouded Yellows were supercharged.
In all three, all seen in the air together, as well as a possible fourth were found.
We then carried on to Lancing Ring, for my first ever visit to this site.
This site has recently played host to a large number of third brood Wall Browns,
we found quite a few, but again they were supercharged.
Later a mating pair was located, unfortunately right down in the long grass, but
certainally made the trip worthwhile.

Trevor.

PS. The cloudies were almost non stop today, Bugboy.
Attachments
P1220522.JPG
P1220529.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

That stretch of the Sussex coast is doing really well for both those species this autumn, Trevor. It's particularly good to see the Walls in such numbers. On a day like today they really aren't going to stop! :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Cloudy shots Trevor :D But I had to do a double take of the Walls before I read through your report :shock: :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

WoW! Trevor, it's hard enough for me to get shots of a Wall Brown so that mating pair is fantastic :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Trevor - A little while back I posted on your PD my enviousness about your Wall Butterfly pics as I have only ever seen one in my life and only got one pic.

Now you give us a pic of a mating pair!!! :D

You are so lucky.

Ernie F

Return to “Personal Diaries”