Butterflysaurus rex

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Wurzel »

What a stand out Wall Rex :shock: Brilliant Pearls and Small Pearls too :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Got your PM reply on the way tomorrow :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Once again, James, lovely images. That's a very striking Wall Brown indeed :D

Mike

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Such a joy to be briefly transported back to spring, James.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you encountered during the warm, dry summer now.

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

bugboy wrote:My, that is a very striking looking male Wall! Great images as always James :)
Thanks Paul, it’s great to see you’ve had a really good year, I don’t have much time to comment on PD’s these days but I’ve been following and enjoying your diary.
trevor wrote:Nice Wall Brown specimen, James. Hopefully a third brood along with
the Clouded Yellows will extend the season again this year.

Best wishes,
Trevor.
Hello Trevor, yes it was a bit unusual with the double eye spots. The third brood Wall seem to be coming along well. And I’ve seen Clouded Yellows laying eggs so hopefully.....
Wurzel wrote:What a stand out Wall Rex :shock: Brilliant Pearls and Small Pearls too :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Got your PM reply on the way tomorrow :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Cheers Wurzel, I didn’t get many PBF photos this year but I was quite pleased with that one. Thanks for the reply hopefully you received mine ok.
Maximus wrote:Once again, James, lovely images. That's a very striking Wall Brown indeed :D

Mike
So kind of you Mike :D, Wall Browns are so difficult to photograph that I was pleased to get a decent shot of this ‘particularly nice’ example.
David M wrote:Such a joy to be briefly transported back to spring, James.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you encountered during the warm, dry summer now.
Hi David, yes I love looking at photos of spring butterflies during the winter in anticipation of what the new year will bring. Hopefully next spring will be a productive one. I missed Orange Tips this year, a very poor showing locally. A resurgence would be most welcome next year.

Thanks everyone your comments are most appreciated,

Best wishes,

James

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some stunning images in your look backs to spring James. Hard to pick any favourites but the Grizzled Skipper trio and Wall Browns stand out for me :D

Great stuff,

Neil.

Butterflysaurus rex

Neil Freeman wrote:Some stunning images in your look backs to spring James. Hard to pick any favourites but the Grizzled Skipper trio and Wall Browns stand out for me :D

Great stuff,

Neil.
Many thanks Neil, very kind of you :D I believe it’s the only time I’ve ever seen three Grizzled Skippers together in that way. You don’t see Wall Browns sit on a perch like that very often either so I was very relieved when I managed to get a few shots before they flew. It made me feel better for missing the Orange Tips and Dukes this year.

Summer 2018 part 1

Thanks for looking,

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Absolutely cracking images Rex and whilst the Blackstreak is a stunner that Meadow Brown just goes above and beyond :shock: - amazing 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great BlackHS Rex, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've yet to see one Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Whoa! That first image was unexpected, James!

Beautiful Black Hairstreak (and the others are pretty good too).

Roll on your next instalment.

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Hi, James. Its great to revisit summertime butterflies when you are getting into autumn. Its like reliving the season all over again. The Black Hairstreak shot is rather special though. That's not one I was able to get to see this year.

Ernie F
Butterflysaurus rex

Wurzel wrote:Absolutely cracking images Rex and whilst the Blackstreak is a stunner that Meadow Brown just goes above and beyond :shock: - amazing 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thank you Wurzel :D the Meadow Brown in question has to be the most well behaved one I’ve ever seen! In all my years of trying (and failing) with Meadow Browns that one takes the biscuit!!
Goldie M wrote:Great BlackHS Rex, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've yet to see one Goldie :D
Hello Goldie, I didn’t expect to see one myself this year but life is full of surprises :D I hope you catch up with one of these lovely insects at some point in the near future.
David M wrote:Whoa! That first image was unexpected, James!

Beautiful Black Hairstreak (and the others are pretty good too).

Roll on your next instalment.
Hi David, I was delighted to see such a lovely specimen of a Black Hairstreak. Like all of our Hairstreaks they are so smart when they are fresh out of the box.
ernie f wrote:Hi, James. Its great to revisit summertime butterflies when you are getting into autumn. Its like reliving the season all over again. The Black Hairstreak shot is rather special though. That's not one I was able to get to see this year.
Hello Ernie, yes indeed - the hot Weather we had this summer already seems like a distant memory, at least that’s how I feel now that it’s getting a bit autumnal. Thank you, I was very lucky to find a Black Hairstreak in such great condition, hopefully you’ll manage to see some Black Hairstreaks next year.

Once again, thanks all for your very kind and generous comments.

Best wishes,

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David M

Post by David M »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:..I was delighted to see such a lovely specimen of a Black Hairstreak. Like all of our Hairstreaks they are so smart when they are fresh out of the box.
Absolutely right, James....but in addition they are extremely RARE and elusive which makes them even more precious.

I haven't had a proper audience with this species for three years now so I automatically get envious when I see encounters such as these. :mrgreen:

Butterflysaurus rex

Summer 2018 part 2

Thanks for looking,

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Wonderful male Purple Hairstreak, James.
It's been a brilliant year for them, I found them down low on 8 out of 11
early morning visits to Abbots Wood, but not as fresh as yours.
I also like your Dark Green Fritillary, great pose.

Keep well,
Trevor.

Butterflysaurus rex

trevor wrote:Wonderful male Purple Hairstreak, James.
It's been a brilliant year for them, I found them down low on 8 out of 11
early morning visits to Abbots Wood, but not as fresh as yours.
I also like your Dark Green Fritillary, great pose.

Keep well,
Trevor.
Many thanks Trevor, yes seeing Purple Hairstreaks down low is always a real treat. I didn’t do quite as well with them as I did last year though.
A few other things made up for it thankfully :D.

Best wishes,

James.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Even more stunning shots James and that Purple Hairstreak is a real stand out image - it's an immaculate shot :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Absolutely glorious, James. What a great selection. Much as I love all the butterflies it’s that image of the Bee Orchid that stands out. More please!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! James , my favourite shot's have got to be the second shot of the DGF and the Purple HS shot :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Beautiful sights and shots James. :mrgreen: :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

More beautiful images James :D

I love the two Dark Green Fritillary photos, both equal favourites in different ways :D

Superb stuff,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”