Northern Brown Argus - Scotland

markhows

Northern Brown Argus - Scotland

Post by markhows »

I will be going to Scotland very shortly and hope someone can help me with a few good sites.

I will be going all over so area not important, ease of seeing is.

Thanks

Mark
Tony Moore

Re: Northern Brown Argus - Scotland

Post by Tony Moore »

Hi Mark,

How ever you get on in Scotland, consider visiting Bishop Middleham Quarry near Sedgefield on the way back down. You may be a little late; I went there on 8th June and they were all over the place. Both salamacis and the white spot artaxerxes were seen. It's a really beautiful little site and well worth a visit.

Antonym.
IAC

Post by IAC »

Hi Mark,
I am based in South East Scotland, and this year has been excellent for NBA, saw one today in vg condition, best sites here are coastal, St Abbs Head..NBA (Artaxerxes), Grayling (Scota), DGV, etc. Also Burnmouth, just of the A1, Coastal cliff site , visited this year... numbering 20-25....consider that was 4th July, its peak season now , very high numbers reported.
You are probably travelling far from these sites, however, good luck........and have a great time in gods own country. :D

Cheers IAC.
markhows

Post by markhows »

Thanks, I am going / returning via the A1 so those sites are ideal

Mark
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Mark,
If you are calling in at Bishop Middleham don't forget the Dark Red Helleborines(assuming you like Orchids). They are out at the moment and in good numbers on the quarry floor. Probably Britain's best site for them. Not sure if the NBA will still be out, I struggeld to find any last year and I was a few days earlier. Found two in the end on the quarry floor.

I struggeld to find the species this year in the Speyside area due to the weather conditions (June 14th-28th). The previous reliable site at Grantown failed this year on the days we visited. Tomintoul produced just one on the 18th June.
Therefore its nice to see IAC reporting good numbers further south and a little later. Seems like they were just waiting for the sun (just like me).

dave
markhows

Post by markhows »

Thanks for the tip off I will make a stop there and hope I get both

Mark
George

Post by George »

Hi Mark,

I know this is not Scotland but if you go up or back on the M6 you could do worse than calling at Arnside Knott - just back from there and there were quite a few NBA there.

Cheers
George
IAC

Post by IAC »

Hi Mark,
I can confirm that NBA was first seen at the Burnmouth-Partanhall site as early as June 18th...usually, mid July is peak. If you do visit look out for Grayling also, sub (Scota)..a tip here the Red Valerian on the bare slopes are a good place to start looking...and further downhill where the Gorse cover thickens. Also keep an eye to the sky for Peregrine...this is a favoured spot for them. I include a rough map...... the green line, indicates the coastal route. The blue line the main NBA site.....you will see them anywhere here!(Partanhall Loop).
Also including photo..taken recently of the scree slope and track , note the Red Valerian, roundabouts here, and fingers crossed your laughing. :D
Cheers Mark, if you need any more help ,just ask. IAC.
Attachments
IMG_0001_5.jpg
IMG_0001_5.jpg (231.9 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
burnmouth-PARTANHALL.JPG
burnmouth-PARTANHALL.JPG (105.53 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
markhows

Post by markhows »

Thanks

All I need now is the weather

Mark
markhows

Post by markhows »

I visited there yesterday on my way home and saw several NBA and also Grayling, many thanks for the info.

Also stoped in at Bishops Middleton Quarry and managed a couple more of the black spot variety.

Mark

Return to “General”