Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Old Wolf, I know what you mean about Gifs :)

7th August, Normality resumes… Bookham

I still had two days left before having to be back at work so I made the time to go and get back to chase some Brown Hairstreaks again. It looked set to be another overly warm day so I didn’t plan to be out the whole day, just the morning and hope I’d find some breakfasting. Sadly it wasn’t to be, not a sign was seen, and what was around was mostly hiding from the heat or regulating with closed with poses. Nevertheless I did get some images I’m quite pleased with. Brown Argus continued to populate the site in increasing numbers and I found another very sandy coloured Small Heath.
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
You can’t really tell from the photo but this Small Copper was tiny, about the size of a Small Blue.
IMG_0045.JPG
A Green-veined White was skulking in the shadows but what I thought was just going to be a a record shot turned out rather well :) .
IMG_0051.JPG
To get a bit of respite from the heat I spent a bit of time in the shade myself, searching for early stages. On the Oak by the car park where I’d found two Purple Hairstreak eggs a third had now been added.
IMG_0034.JPG
I also had a look for White Admirals but much of the Honeysuckle seems to have been a victim of the drought. I found several remains of White Admiral feeding damage but I only discovered one larvae.
IMG_0041.JPG
I left not long after noon, I could feel myself withering in the heat leaving the score at Hairstreaks 3, me 2. One of the Argus's bidding me farewell, unusually perched up high.
IMG_0055.JPG

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great reports from your trip Bugboy. Those are some superb shots of the HBHM, well done. :mrgreen: Like the gifs as well. :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Andrew :)

8th August, Graylings

Just the one day left before returning to work and it looked set to be decidedly cooler than the previous days, making it ideal for a warm open site like Chobham Common and another attempt at finding an egg laying female.

I may have been a little early again though since all I saw were attempts at making babies rather than the production of them. There was an awful lot of chasing going on, females running the gauntlet as they tried and failed to avoid males territories. I did however finally manage something that has escaped me for some time, some half decent upperside shots as one persistent male pestered a rather nice female. It is rather comical watching a male slowly circling a female whilst she makes sure she is always facing him :)
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
and some more standard shots...
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Scotchies Bugboy, I have to echo Trevor's :mrgreen: quota as this is a species I'd love to see :D And then you go and add in NBA as well :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Well done with the Graylings, especially the first five images.
Great to see them with forewing up, and a glimpse of open wing.
Would like to see one of those images cropped a little closer ?.

Yet another mrgreen :mrgreen: ,
Trevor.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Your diary moves along at a speedy pace, Bugboy. Great reports from your adventures up north. Nice shots of the ‘English’ Scotch Argus from Smardale. Good job they’re doing well there as reading the reports on this site they appear to be struggling at Arnside. Then you made the long drive further north hoping to find the proper Northern Brown Argus (ssp. Artaxerxes) without even knowing if they were still about, great stuff and great shots :D Just seen your open wing Grayling shots :D

Mike

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

I'm glad you managed another trip up north, Bugboy. Those Scotchies are worth the journey! And I love the hummingbird hawk moth gifs - watched them for ages :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, I suspect when you get round to posting your recent overseas pictures (around xmas one presumes :wink:) I'll be equally as :mrgreen: :)
Thanks Trevor but those images are already rather well cropped (40 - 50%). Any more and they'll start to pixilate quite badly. I couldn't get closer without disturbing them and didn't think I'd have time to swap lenses, maybe next time :) .
Thanks Maximus, I'm still playing catchup (Wurzel style) with my diary so it may look busier than in reality, but I think I've still managed to cram a lot in once again :shock: :lol:
Thanks Janet, yes they are definitely worth the trip and my chauffeur also thought so :D

11th August, Brown Hairstreaks, take 5

My weekend off arrived with just one free morning spare and Brown Hairstreaks were top of my agenda. Sightings seemed to be coming thick and fast in the more southerly sites now so I hoped things would be similar at Bookham and I would gain some ground in my annual battle with them. I only had the morning to play with so it was an early start to make the most of things.

A warm, and relatively fresh morning greeted me, thankfully lacking the resent muggyness. I found the usual suspects in varying numbers, Speckled Woods seem to be enjoying the recent rain and have had what seems to be a mass emergence with many fresh insects flying around.
IMG_0009.JPG
Gatekeepers on the other hand seem to have virtually vanished, but I did find a tiny male, not much bigger than your average Small Copper.
IMG_0016.JPG
A few Meadow Browns were still hanging on and Common Blues, Brown Argus and Small Coppers were once again present but Brown Hairstreak were obvious in their absence despite much careful searching and close examining of every dead, orange leaf. I did however find a rather decrepit female Purple Hairstreak, quite remarkable that they are still going when most other single brooded species seem to have vanished in a blink of an eye!
IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
At the master tree I saw some Hairstreaks, a mixture of smaller silvery Purples and the occasional larger darker one. I managed a record shot of one of these so at least it wasn't going to end with another win for them!

About an hour and half after arriving. whilst checking out the Purple Hairstreak eggs on the Oak near the car park, I heard a familiar voice call out to me, Millerd who had slept in to late to go to Shipton Bellinger had plumped for the closer site of Bookham. We joined forces to go hunting again.

Now things had warmed up there was significantly more about, particularly the Blues and Argus’s. One female blue was particularly attractive. After several years of increasing numbers of blue females, this year they really do seem to be in the minority. Indeed several of the Common Blue females today could easily be taken for a Brown Argus.
IMG_0094.JPG
IMG_0138.JPG
Common Blues above, Brown Argus below
Common Blues above, Brown Argus below
Also around were a few Small Heath and I found another one of the sandy ones which seem to be popping up here and there. Here I've put it alongside a more normal coloured one also taken today.
Small Heath.JPG
It was fast approaching noon and time for me to make a move. I was just on the verge of bidding Dave farewell when he noticed something in the undergrowth, BINGO a lovely pristine female :D ! I’d walked right past her. She fluttered out and sat in the sun for a bit, making things difficult for us by not sitting conveniently at the edge of the undergrowth. Dave fought his way through whilst I stood back and cracked out the long lens.
IMG_0173.JPG
IMG_0180.JPG
IMG_0190.JPG
She stayed for a few minutes before vanishing over the hedge. Well, mission accomplished so I made to move off when again Dave noticed something I’d walked past, another one, this time gorging itself on Blackberries.
IMG_0198.JPG
Whilst watching her the first one reappeared and sat high up on the hedge to bask as a cloud blocked out the sun.
IMG_0204.JPG
With this sudden flurry of activity I 'forced' myself to stay a little longer, finding a Purple Hairstreak also indulging in the Blackberries and re-finding the tailless one again, lurking under a leaf.
IMG_0209.JPG
IMG_0218.JPG
Finally though it was time to get going, stopping only to get a shot of a particularly lush female Specklie.
IMG_0220.JPG
Hairstreaks 3, Bugboy 4 :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

It's great seeing the same butterflies from a completely different angle, Buggy. Great shots :) And so far, that is still the best day I've had with them this year despite visits to other renowned hotspots! :)

I also like the comparison between the sandy heatwave Small Heath and the "normal" version. I haven't been imagining it... :)

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

That's something I've never seen before, BB. Brown Hairstreaks taking fluids from blackberries.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Just caught up with your trip up North Bugboy, Glad to see you saw good numbers of Scotch Argus at Smardale Gill. I have checked the local sightings a few times for Arnside since I returned from there to see if numbers had improved but they have seemed consistently low this year.

I have driven past the Lakeland Wildlife Oasis quite a few times over the years but never yet stopped off for a look.

A great way to round of your trip with that 'proper' :wink: NBA as well.

Cheers,

Neil.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I have a feeling that's no longer the case Dave :wink: bloody sods law!
I suspect it's simply the lack of choice thats lead them to Blackberry supping. It seems the Bookham lot turn their cute little noses up at Fleabane, of which there are masses!
Thanks Neil . It's a shame Arnside has deteriorated so much recently, hopefully its not too late to improve things before they vanish from yet another English site! Hopefully next year I'll get to see an Artaxerxes in mint condition :)

11th August, Bookham... for a change

So yes, buoyed by the weekend visit of two females, I hoped things would be a little bit easier from now on, the females now plenty old enough to be in egg laying mode. It would seem though I scored an own goal, it was warm but the sun just didn’t appear much at all :roll: . I left later than normal since the forecast had promised the sun would appear around lunchtime, giving me a nice lay in. But it stayed resolutely cloudy for much of the afternoon and only really brightened up as 3pm was approaching.

Butterfly wise it was the usual suspects, lots of fresh Speckled Woods not caring about the lack of sun,
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG
Small Coppers trying to absorb some sun in the few tiny breaks in the cloud cover
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0058.JPG
Plus a smattering of Brown Argus and Common Blues.
IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0085.JPG
I may not have seen any adults but they have been busy, here’s the first couple of eggs of the season :)
IMG_0074.JPG
A few other inhabitants caught my eye as I wandered around, a nice fat female Speckled Bush Cricket, a particularly well camouflaged crab spider lurking on the Fleabane and a small gang of Tachnid flies, I think Tachina fera, a species that is a parasitoid on caterpillars.
IMG_0064.JPG
IMG_0082.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG
It’s a tight match this season, Hairstreaks 4, Bugboy 4 :shock:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of Brostreak shots from the previous report Bugboy :D I reckon you could get the win so long as you adopt Fergie Time :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Gorgeous, fresh-looking Brown Argus, BB. I reckon I’ve seen fewer than a dozen all year so it’s nice to know they’re still about elsewhere.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Just catching up with your posts Bugboy, some fantastic shots in your posts, I particularly like the Grayling with the open wings, they're really hard to get shots of like that. :D Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I reckon an injury time flurry of decrepit females in mid September might just get the win for me Wurzel :wink:
Thanks David, they're doing really well down here this year, turning up in new places too :)
Thanks Goldie, I've waited several years to find a courting couple to get the chance for some upper side Grayling shots :D

22nd August, Steyning for a change

Still in Brown Hairstreak hunting mode, I'd been eyeing up the reports from Steyning with growing envy. But with only normal rostered days off from work and it being a bit of a pain for me to get to, I try and avoid buses as much as possible, I thought I was going to miss out on the Brown Hairstreak bonanza going on there this year, until Millerd offered a lift. Wednesday was forecast to be the last warm day before unsettled weather took over and all week it had been promised to have a sunny afternoon.

I awoke to a rather overcast, almost leaden skied morning, but the cheerful weather lady on the breakfast news was adamant it would break and provide the promised bright, Hairstreak friendly weather..... hmm :? .

I met Dave at Dorking station, both of us wondering on the likelihood of forecast coming to fruition, it still looked unlikely. It was however still early so there was plenty of time for things to improve, in the meantime we decided to go to mill hill and see if the Adonis were up and about.
Indeed they were and it only took a barely noticeable increase in light levels for them to become surprisingly active. Although not good for Hairstreaks this light was perfect for capturing the electric blue of an Adonis, even aged ones look like they've been plugged into the mains.
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0066.JPG
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0170.JPG
Among them were the occasional Common Blue and Small Heath and some larger relatives of the well-known Mint Moth, Pyrausta purpuralis.
IMG_0189.JPG
IMG_0202.JPG
Meadow Browns were also relatively numerous, mostly very fresh and mostly on the small side. You’d be forgiven for mistaking them for Gatekeepers based on their size alone, the larvae of these later emerging insects clearly being affected by the drought and resulting poor plant growth.
IMG_0161.JPG
Amongst all these normal looking ones though, Dave found a rather eye-catching individual with a fair amount of bleaching on all wings, giving it a very distinctive look. After a bit of chasing he settled and posed well for us.
IMG_0118.JPG
MB ab.JPG
We stayed here for some time, noting how the Adonis reacted to even the slightest brightening in light levels. By midday their pale cousin also began to appear in small numbers, some of them still looking in reasonable nick.
IMG_0214.JPG
We dragged ourselves away after a couple of hours, the sky having barely changed from first thing. My weather app on my phone was convinced that cloudless skies were just around the corner, perhaps an hour away.... hmmm :? :? . On the way back to the bottom car park we were surprised to find significant numbers of Adonis in the long grass near the road.
IMG_0241.JPG
To kill a bit more time while we waited for the promised sun we decided to visit Anchor Bottom just down the road, a site neither of us had visited before. We found a very picturesque hillside, but much more exposed and consequently somewhat cooler and breezier. At the top I found some nice chalk downland flora, but little in the way of butterflies.
IMG_0250-tile.JPG
Through a mixture of educated guesswork and luck though we stumbled on a hotspot that was teeming with them, all activated during brighter spells of cloud cover just like at Mill Hill.
IMG_0262.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG
IMG_0302.JPG
IMG_0326.JPG
IMG_0342.JPG
The magic hours of early afternoon were now upon us, but sadly the promised blue sky wasn't. My phone app was still insisting it was just an hour away though ... hmmmm :? :? :? .

Under thick cloud we arrived at our final destination, still hoping for a glimpse of blue sky. As we walked along the path to the main site, just past the bowling green, Dave noticed what was almost certainly our target fluttering around a bramble bush in a horse field. It never settled in sight though so we continued onto the main site. Here we spent an hour ambling around in distinctly un-hairstreak friendly weather with my phone app still stubbornly insisting things were just about to improve :evil: . Dave did briefly spot another Hairstreak flutter up into an Ash but only a few Hairstreak eggs, Speckled Woods and a lone Great Spotted Woodpecker were photographed.
IMG_0359.JPG
IMG_0349.JPG
Despite all this, that one distant sighting made this my most successful Brown Hairstreak hunting trip to Steyning, my previous two a couple of years ago both drawing blanks!

I got home at about 7, my phone app still insisting I’d see the sun before it set, needless to say the sun remained hidden behind thick cloud.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those Adonis fairly leap out of the screen Bugboy :shock: :D :mrgreen: Nice Meadow Browns too - they are smaller this side of the season aren't they? Yet in France they were the usual size but the Hedge Browns were huge :shock: You describe perfectly the wonder of weather apps, I still don't get how they can be so wrong still even an hour ahead :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the colour of the Adonis Bugboy, like Wurzel says they jump out at you :D
Glad you got the Bros Streaks, I was the same this year at Gait Barrow, I went up there and saw nothing so hope fully like you maybe I'll get them another year :D Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Beautiful Adonis Blues Bugboy, the light certainly brought out the best of their electric blue colour.

Cheers,

Neil.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks guys, I always feel the need to point out Adonis Blue images haven't been 'enhanced' in post processing when I capture them in that light, they're just stupidly bright :shock: :). These Meadow Browns were abnormally small Wurzel, the drought must have stunted their food when they were young.

25th August, back to Bookham part 1

After the failure of Steyning a few days previously it was back to more familiar territory for possibly my last Brown Hairstreak hunt of the season for me, (The following day was set to be a washout and my next day off wasn’t looking too good either, if you were to believe the forecast :lol: :lol: :lol: haha). Today's forecast seemed pretty accurate though, a cloudless sky greeting me as I got off the train which was supposed to disappear shortly after noon. Despite the welcome sun, and the warmth in the sheltered areas, things took a fair old time to get going. More fresh Specklies littered the place and I found a particularly dark Small Heath but other than the occasional worn Meadow Brown I saw nothing else.
SpW.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
I made a point again of spending a bit of time carefully patrolling all the spots where eggs and larvae had been observed, always hoping I’d be lucky enough to spot a freshly emerged Hairstreak, not today though.

Whilst walking around I did feel a bit like a bug airport at times with several species stopping off just to rest/sunbath on me! Here we have a Forest fly Hippobosca equina, whome I removed just incase it felt like a change from its preferred equine/bovine/cervid blood, and a less bitey Robber fly.
IMG_0041-tile.JPG
At Banks Common the occasional aged Meadow Brown were joined by a single Brown Argus and a few Small Copper, including one very fresh female.
IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0078.JPG
The familiar figure of Millerd joined me mid-morning as I was taking pictures of a rather handsome Wasp Spider.
IMG_0104.JPG
A few Common Blue were now starting to become active, too active for pictures but the Hairstreaks remained absent so we split up to improve our chances of finding some. Clouds were starting to bubble up now but it certainly felt warm enough on the south east facing side of the hedge, completely sheltered from the brisk northerly breeze. Still by noon none had been seen and it was looking like another win for them :(
IMG_0130.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”