Andrew555

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Andrew555

Post by David M »

Is it just me or does that Large White have an abnormally large unf spot?

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks a lot Bugboy, Wurzel and David. :D

Cheers Ernie, I basically mashed the shutter and hoped one shot would come out ok. :D

Cheers Neil. :D
David M wrote:Is it just me or does that Large White have an abnormally large unf spot?
I'm not sure David, it looks broadly similar to some others I've compared it to.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Your diary is definitely one to watch Andrew! The shots of the Chalkhills are great and I certainly admire the Hummingbird Hawk moth. A difficult subject if ever there was one as I have recently found!

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks a lot Pauline. :D Yes they seem to always move just as your about to press the shutter!

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

While I was in Dorset one of my goals was to see some more Silver-washed Fritillary, with the hope of a valesina sighting. My chosen site, Butterfly Conservation's Alners Gorse reserve where a conversation with a helpful local led me to the best area's, which were indeed heaving with SWF's.

I love the dusky female.
1.jpg
2.jpg
Female underside, the green washed away (no pun intended!) by sunlight.
3.jpg
4.jpg
And praise the butterflying Gods, there was a valesina! After a short chase I got a quick shot before it flew away up and over some trees.
5.jpg
But the best was yet to come. In one particular area of Brambles I saw another, then another, and yet another. In fact myself and a fellow enthusiast counted at one point five valesina before us, pretty ridiculous! :shock:
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
There were other species about but really I was totally absorbed by the SWF's. Two abs here, a Hedge Brown and a Purple Hairstreak.
13.jpg
The Hairstreak opened up, not much colour though.
14.jpg
A trip to remember, I'm already thinking about next year. :D

Cheers
Last edited by Andrew555 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Great Valesinas, Andrew. Wish I'd been there !. :mrgreen:
Especially as I've only ever seen one.

All the best,
Trevor.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely valesinas, Andrew :mrgreen: one I've yet to see. What a fantastic first shot showing the underside :D

Mike

millerd

Post by millerd »

What an amazing visit that must have been, Andrew. Five valesina SWF is astonishing and you came away with some terrific shots as well. :)

Cheers,

Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Wow, the butterfly Gods really were having a party for your benefit weren't they! One question though, you state you saw one point five valesina, suggesting you saw a male :?:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

A great experience for you and beautifully captured, for us to enjoy it as well :)

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Cheers Trevor, maybe next year ? I'll definitely be going back. :D

Thanks a lot Mike. :D

It was Dave, I had to pinch myself, several times! :D Cheers

A taste of butterflying heaven Bugboy. No, probably a grammar fail on my part! :D

Thank you Mike. :D

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

What a stunning set of photos Andrew. I've only ever seen one or two valesina - five at once is ridiculous!

Best wishes,
Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful valezina images, Andrew. It's lovely to be reminded of them when they were fresh. That's all behind us for another year now, but they'll be back in 2019 although that seems a long way away right now. :(

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks Lee, it did feel pretty surreal! :D

Cheers David. It does, and that visit also seems a distant memory to me now! :D

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Beautiful shots. I particularly like the first valezina picture. I wasn't aware that the underside was so different from the normal form.

Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

I agree with everyone else Andrew, what beautiful pictures you have taken and a SWF in the same shot as a PHS :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Old Wolf.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Hi Nick, thanks a lot. :D

Cheers Old Wolf, yes that was pretty lucky! :D Alners Gorse has all the Hairstreaks except Black.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Absolutely cracking Valesina shots Andrew :D :mrgreen: - they are a stunning form of butterfly with an interesting genetic story behind them 8) To see so many in one sitting :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

I'm sorry you missed out on the Brown Hairstreaks at Steyning, Andrew.
There is one vital ingredient for them to show, there has to be some Sun.
I went on a bright, very warm day with no wind or Sun and saw nothing.

They may be fickle, but they are worth the effort.
Trevor.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I have just seen your SWF photos from Alners Gorse Andrew, some great shots and that first valesina underside image is especially good :mrgreen: :D

Great stuff,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”