Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Lulworth Cove 24-06-2018

Things were going well with my weekend of catching up. I was on two out of three target species so far; DGFs in the bag, Silver-studs done and dusted with the added bonus on another addition to my in-cop collection and now could I make it ‘three for three’ with my favourite species?

The sun shone strongly and so we packed up and hit the road before 9 to hopefully arrive before all the grockles. The only concern I had was that should I find any Lulworths they’d be solar turbo charged? On the walk down to the Cove a DGF briefly landed on a small patch of scrub on the way down and it seemed to confirm my fears as it was practically bombing along. When we got down to the beach we headed to the left instead of the usual right-hand side, wandered about 100m along and then set up the new parasol. While the girls sorted themselves out ready to paddle I did my little magic trick and poured myself a coffee. I had barely put the cup down before a tiny, olive skipper flew by, landed briefly and then carried on along the beach. A Lulworth, job done, three for three and all thanks to the ‘pour a coffee and they will come’ trick.
Once everyone was set to doing their appropriate beach activities I set mine and set off to the other end of the beach noting a Small Skipper taking salts down at the tideline and a Marbled Whites looking very out of place as it flew over the briny. During the walk I kept stopping each time I found a source of nectar and the butterflies seemed to home in on these little oases in the desert of stones and sea. Along the way I found a few more Lulworths with a smattering of other species.
DSC_0947 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0951 - Copy.JPG
A cliff slip further on was better and here there was a blue amongst the browns which started a couple of Meadow Browns off. There were also 5-6 Marbled Whites and 7-8 Ringlet amongst the many, many Skippers; mainly the much smaller, slower flying Lulworths. I reached the end of the beach and headed up the stairs, well more a ladder laid almost flat then what I would think of as a staircase. At the top of the stairs I found a courting couple of Lulworths but the female was having none of it! So I’d got my hat-trick but not the ‘in-cop’ shots that would fit nicely into my collection. As I carried on up the path narrowed and every now and again it would open out with views over the cliff and there were flat grassed areas behind you. I checked out two of these and the Lulworths were proving difficult so I worked back and at the first one I tried again. I had much better luck here as I watched a male fly towards a female, they did a little buzz around and I thought I would see a failed courtship but no after about 10 seconds they were joined together at the top of a grass blade – ace another one for the book! A dog disturbed them slightly and so they moved slightly further away and slightly lower down. I headed back stopping at the slipped cliff and noting at least three DGFs or possibly four which just served as the icing on the cake.
DSC_0983 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0990 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1013 - Copy-001.JPG
DSC_1025 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1029 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1038 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1058 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1060 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1112 - Copy.JPG
I got back to the rest of the family and discovered that I needn’t have gone a searching for Lulworths as there was one in the shade of our parasol; joining us for lunch!
DSC_1116 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some enviable images of the Lulworth Wurzel especially the mating pair :mrgreen: The last time I was there was 2014 when the best I managed was the failed courtship :(

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Looks like I should have gone much earliervtha I did this year. My trip down that part of the world was decidedly tired looking, those Lulworths all look fresh as a daisy! And a :mrgreen: for the in-cop pair!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

A couple of mrgreens for the mating Lulworths, and one for those Dark Greens !. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: & :mrgreen: .
One is a species I've never seen, and the other I missed out on this year.

Try and get to St. Peters church ASAP. The Walls are quite advanced now.

All the best,
Trevor.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, looks like late June is good for quite a few species at Lulworth, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've never seen a Lulworth Skipper so hope fully (next Year) :D Great shot of the mating pair :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Pauline :D I was most pleased with the in cop as that completes my 'Skippers I've seen' section of my 'in cop' collection :D
Cheers Bugboy :D Even on my visit there were some that looked to be on their last legs :shock: I think that they 'age' very quickly possibly due to be so exposed? :?
Cheers Trevor :D You may have missed out on DGFs but Black Hairstreaks balance that out :wink: :mrgreen:
Cheers Goldie :D Good luck next year Goldie. If you're on the Isle of Purbeck then the Corfe Castle car park is often where they first emerge, then Lulworth and they seem to arrive later at Durlston Country Park (this has it's own website with daily updates) so depending on when you come you should be able to tick this species :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great shots of the SSBs Wurzel :mrgreen: :D , curiously, as with Graylings which I mentioned in Bugboys PD, I have to travel to see these and have usually caught up with them in different habitats to a lot of others on here, e.g. the dunes of north Cornwall, the quarries of Portland or even the endemic ssp. on the Great Orme. Apart from one visit to Prees Heath a few years ago I have not seen them on Heathland. Makes me realise how different some of our experiences and expectations are with some species.

Great report and shots from Lulworth Cove too :mrgreen: :D. It has been a while since I have been there earlier in the year, my visit in recent years usually been late August/early September...hmm! maybe next year :)

Cheers,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Great to see a Lulworth pairing, Wurzel - like Pauline I've only ever seen them get quite close (but no cigar, so to speak... :) ).

Cheers,

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Neil :D Definitely get your Visa sorted ready for a trip to Dorset next season Neil :wink: :lol: Next year I need to get down to Portland to broaden my horizons when it comes to Silver-studs :D
Cheers Dave :D Doesn't the cigar come after... :wink: :oops:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lulworth Cont'd

Suitably refreshed and more coffee drunk I headed out a second time but this time I made my way the other way round the beach and tried out my ‘old’ hotspot. Despite my successes on the other side here it was quite quiet with only a couple of pairs of Lulworths, a Smessex and two Common Blue, the female of which had some interesting spots on the underside. I even got round as far as Stair Hole adding only a couple more Lulworths and a Large Skipper.
DSC_0030 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0040 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0057 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0065 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0077 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0084 - Copy.JPG
I was able to take a third trip out and number three was back along the first path. In amongst the Lulworths on the way I added more of the same species also noting a few taking salts on the wet clay where the spring springs or down on some of the ridges of exposed chalk in the tideline. I also risked climbing up the cliff slip in search of DGFs which off course liked to feed on the nectar from the plants that hung over the edge of the cliff! No slips or falls later and I walked up the cliff path again and this time I got as far as the third little ‘clearing’. A medium sized brownish-orangish butterfly caught my eye – my first Hedge Brown of 2018! Chuffed I made my way back stopping on the way for another courting couple. I wished the male well but despite sitting patiently and then making the smallest of gestures the female wasn’t interested in the slightest, poor chap.
DSC_0109 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0113 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0142 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0151 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0153 - Copy.JPG
Once everyone was sun soaked and salt entrusted we decided to head for home. We walked back up the original hotspot cliff and round past Stair Hole before heading home hot and happy! The girls because they’d had a fun packed or relaxing day at the beach and me because I’d done the treble and bagged my third ‘in-cop’ shot. To top it off when I got back and anxiously checked the scores England had put 6 past Panama!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, more fantastic shots :mrgreen: :mrgreen: many thanks for the info, I'm definately on for next year for Lulworth :D
Love your fifth shot down :D Goldie :D

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Crumbs, what a lot of fine Lulworth Skips you got there - particularly the close-up of a mating pair and love the one lunching with you under your parasol. It doesn't get better than that.

Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D If you PM before you come I can pass on even more detailed information :D
Cheers Ernie :D It was almost perfect Ernie, the only thing missing was an ice cold beer while I was photographing a la Padfield :wink: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Laverstock 25-06-2018
DSC_0166 - Copy.JPG
So having almost caught up (Large Blues –aahhhh) it was back to the usual business of a Monday afternoon so Tutor time for Little L and away up Laverstock Down for me. I took the usual route along the track and to the main path up towards the Down but it was surprisingly hot still, who’d have thought that we could get more than a few days good weather in the UK? Still I saw all the usual suspects on the way up to the Down with all four of the Browns represented in double digits and a single solitary Specklie at the break in the hedge which the cows enter and exit the reserve.
Once up on the first little bit of Down I saw a few Common Blues and a couple of Adonis to boot but the surprise came in what I at first took to be a Brown Argus. It was small and brown and lacked the cell spot which would make it a BA. However the spots where massive in comparison with those you’d expect to find on a BA. I took a few shots and watched it for a while and then realised that I’d seen this species only two days previously. I became convinced that it was a female Silver-studded Blue :shock: . But as I was out on the exposed Down in the glaring sun checking back the images on the camera proved to be next to impossible and I couldn’t try and find a shaded nook to have a confirmatory look as I didn’t want to lose sight of it in case it was a Silver-stud. It carried on walking round amongst the grasses occasionally ovi-posturing but then as quickly as it had appeared it was gone again.
DSC_0168 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0171 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0174 - Copy.JPG
I carried on round and found my way to the lower path that follows the foot of the Down round to the gully. The path and its Bramble and Hawthorn thickets acted like service stations for butterflies which were moving through the endless sea of grass. Here I found a couple of Large Whites, a Comma, Large Skippers and a definite Small amongst the Smessex and at thicket number 2 the second surprise of the afternoon. Up high on a Hawthorn was a butterfly with a familiar looking profile. It thought it was up high but I found that by climbing up the slope it more readily appeared in view. It was a late Greenstreak and possibly the last of the season.
DSC_0177 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0189 - Copy.JPG
I needed to get back to pick up Little L but also to check the possible Silver-stud images and so wished the Greenstreak well and then slinging my camera over my shoulder I set to racing back. I was stopped momentarily though by a what I initially thought was a Small Heath with open wings but three surprises in one day would have been too much and the look of open winged-ness was actually because it had lost most of its hind wing leaving the inside lower surface of the fore wing exposed…if you get my meaning.
DSC_0192 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0194 - Copy.JPG
Once back in the cool shade of the tutor’s I looked through the shots of the possible Silver-stud. I don’t know why I doubted myself as the spotting pattern was spot on for Silver-studs but to make it even more evident there, towards the rear of the wing was a definite blue spot, the Silver-stud. What it was doing here I don’t know? The nearest colonies are in the New Forest, in fact Landford is the only Wiltshire site and that is a fair way away for a butterfly not known for making a large journey and one which might be considered almost sedentary. That’s butterflies for you, they’re always doing he unexpected! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

That's most definitely a female Silver-studded Blue, Wurzel. The glimpse of the upperside with the zig-zag marginal markings, as well as all the other things make that certain in my book. Where on earth did she come from? As you mentioned she can't have flown far, as they aren't really capable of it. She must have hitched a lift from somewhere! :)

What a great find, though... :) :mrgreen:

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D I think the problems I was having with the ID is that it shouldn't have been there, it just wouldn't register :shock: :roll:

Westmill Wind Farm and Daneways 26-06-2018

Another week and another trip co-run with the Geography Department. This time we were heading north with all of year 10 to the Westmill Co-operative Windfarm. It was scorching when we arrived at 10 in the morning and having gotten into groups we set off along the stone tracks to complete various activities. A Small Tort brightened up what was therwise a drab field where we considering soil type and the under laying geology of the site. A little further on we all looked at the biodiversity using bug catchers and Pooters. There were Ringlets, Marbled Whites, Meadow Browns and Hedge Brown as well as a smattering of whites.
DSC_0201 - Copy.JPG
After lunch we moved on to look at the Turbines and take wind speed measurements. There was a surprising difference in the wind speed even over two metres, a point which I’ll bear in mind on future butterfly visits. After this we quickly checked out the solar panel field and in between the panels were grassed areas jam packed with butterflies including a lovely fresh looking Red Admiral.
DSC_0204 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0207 - Copy.JPG
Once back at work and with the pupils queuing for their respective buses I nipped off and got changed into my butterfly trousers and boots and then I was away. It felt quite strange to be heading North and I had to fight my instincts and follow my usual route home. Instead I was off to Daneways for a few hours as I was over half way there from my home already. I made good time missing the main rush hour traffic and before I knew it I was already heading down the narrow roads and trying to work out where to park. I thought I’d risk it and carry on to see if there were any spaces in the little pull-in/car park opposite the main gate. Shock horror there were and so I didn’t have the uphill hike to face. Things were looking good. Out of the car the bubble was slightly deflated as the heat hit me full on in the face. It was like stepping into an oven. I hoped that the butterflies would still be flying but reckoned that open wing shots would be off the cards. Through the gate and staring at the banks a medium grey blue butterfly flew, landed and started taking nectar. Job done!
DSC_0211 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0213 - Copy.JPG
I then set out to see if I could find any more and so started slowing traversing the banks following the tiny animal tracks. I didn’t turn up any more Large Blues. There were a few butterflies still flying but nowhere near the number I was hoping for and I guessed that they were all hiding in the shade. I twigged that finding more of my quarry was going to be hard graft and so decided to remain focused on Large Blues. If it wasn’t a Large Blue I’d note it but not follow nor try to photograph it. As I moved across the site I wondered if this was a good move as there still no more Large Blues but then I hit a little hotspot as the track climbed up and carried on towards the little wood to the top field. Here a couple of Blues flew very occasionally stooping to take nectar of investigate pockets of Thyme.
DSC_0230 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0242 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0244 - Copy.JPG
After this all this walking back and forth and following Large Blues up and down the site I sought some shade to cool down and so wandered ever so slowly up the wooded path to the top field. Slightly cooler I stepped back in the swelter and worked my way across the top field. It was so quiet here that I broke my ‘only a Large Blue’ rule and spent a few moments with a large Dragonfly, a Broad-bodied Chaser. Now I was at the top of the site I needed to get back down and so I walked to the other end of the field and started the vertiginous descent back to the base of the hill. Here, where it was obviously most difficult to follow them, were a couple of Large Blues and after much slipping and sliding, near fatal falls and ankle wrenching chases I reached the bottom with a meagre supply of additional photos. Walking back round to the hotspot I spied a few more Blues and so spent a little more time here just making sure that I had at least a few shots to show for my exertions and troubles.
DSC_0254 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0262 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0283 - Copy-001.JPG
DSC_0289 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0298 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0304 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0314 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0321 - Copy.JPG
After this I decided to head for home and a nice, ice cold beer little knowing that a certain someone was sitting in the pub below contemplating the very same search operation that I had just completed. The after work trip had paid off, just but I reckon next year I’ll try when the weather isn’t too hot and isn’t too wet.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Wurzel wrote:I took a few shots and watched it for a while and then realised that I’d seen this species only two days previously. I became convinced that it was a female Silver-studded Blue
I recall there was a similarly unusual sighting of an S-s Blue at Lough Down, Streatley, a year or so back. I went to have a look for myself but didn't find it. Either someone is spreading these around or the species has some talents of which we are unaware :)

Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

I spotted a fresh male Silver-studded at a Bournemouth cliff-top site by Boscombe Chine on 1st July, well away from any known colonies. i gather there have been several sightings in West Dorset this summer outside its normal range.

M.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I remember that day very well Wurzel, the heat was insane. Even early evening it was ridiculous so you did really well to get anything. We must have literally missed each other by minutes. I definitely needed those few hours in the cool Inn though!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Your trip to the wind turbines could almost have been contrived !.
If your pupils were educated, and you got your Butterflies, then it was win win !.
Well done chasing Large Blues on a steep hillside in blistering heat, great hard won images.
Paul had the right idea, patronising the local licensed hostelry.

Entertaining report,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”