Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Katrina

Scotch Argus

Post by Katrina »

I have been up in Scotland recently. Here are some of the highlights. One roosting Scotch Argus one found on top of a grass another a third of the way down but later a lot appeared from thin air.
Grayling - thanks to the couple who pointed us in the right direction in Findhorn.
Peacock ab diopthalmica
Attachments
DSC04196.JPG
DSC04428.JPG
DSC04541.JPG
DSC04648 (1).jpg
DSC04790.jpg
DSC04804 (1).jpg
DSC04832 (1).jpg
DSC04925.JPG
grayling habitat
grayling habitat
Peacock ab diopthalmica Logie Steading.jpg

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Re: Katrina

Post by trevor »

More lovely shots, especially the second image.
I really must catch up with the Scotch Argus one day.

Trevor.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of the Grayling but those Scotch Argus are to die for! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful Scotch Arguses, Katrina. They look in good nick for an 'early' year too.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Trevor and Wurzel.
Thanks David , a lot of the ones we found had wear and tear.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Good to see someone else going up there to see them, some lovely shots. I've always found the ocelli leap out the screen with these butterflies :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Lovely shots of the Scotch Argus Katrina - they look in such good condition. Nice to see some which are actually Scottish! The ones I saw last year were decidedly battered having been caught, marked and recaptured several times.
I like the shot of the Grayling habitat - they've obviously gone up the property ladder! :lol:

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Katrina - great pics of the Scotch Argus and Grayling. I found the Grayling habitat pic funny - its looks like they might be on holiday and using those beach-huts!

Ernie F
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks bugboy, Janet and Ernie. Although we didn't have time to explore the whole dunes it was odd the place we found one was behind the beach huts.

Katrina

Bonus photos from holiday

Post by Katrina »

During my search for Scotch Argus we happened upon Ed from the RSPB who kindly showed us a Dark Bordered Beauty which was in his moth trap. Thank you Ed!

A second bonus photo of a dragonfly, Black Darter I think
Attachments
Dark Bordered Beauty 2.jpg
DSC04420.JPG

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Katrina. Wow, the Dark Bordered Beauty sure lives up to its name. It has a dark border and its a beauty.

Ernie F
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

DSC04936.jpg
DSC04936.jpg (27.68 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
Those beach huts at Findhorn were controversial when erected in early 2016 (I am a ‘local’).
True, they don’t impact on the Grayling (and DG Frit, Common Blue, Small Copper, Meadow Brown, Small Heath, etc) habitat but they are an eyesore on a previously unspoiled stretch of coast.

A signboard includes the “architect’s name”. I am surprised that an architect would wish to put his/her name to what are no more Wendy Houses painted in fancy colours – presumably available from B&Q or Home Base.

To the best of my knowledge, not one has been sold (£25,000 per shed).

A decent winter storm coinciding with high tides will rid the coast of these eyesores.

Jack

David M

Post by David M »

That's a beautiful moth, Katrina, and one I had never hitherto heard of.

Not so sure about the beach huts. Like Jack, they're a bit incongruous in that otherwise lovely landscape.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Hi Jack and David.
I quite liked the beach huts but of course didn’t see what it was like before them to compare, and interesting the only Grayling we found was right behind one so perhaps was getting shelter from it.
Also seen were common blues and small coppers but not particularly near the huts.

Katrina

Mill Hill

Post by Katrina »

I went to Mill Hill this morning I saw Wall Browns, Meadow Browns, Small Heaths and Common Blues. On the way out I bumped into Dave Cook who stopped me. He was getting instructions about where a pupating Peacock caterpillar was seen. Shortly after he located the chrysalis the first Peacock one I have seen . Many thanks to Dave Cook! Shortly afterwards he found a pristine Red Admiral . We walked along a bit and saw a Painted lady, Clouded Yellow and some more Wall browns.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2504.jpeg
DSC05154.jpg
fullsizeoutput_2506.jpeg

trevor

Post by trevor »

A female Wall Brown image is high on my list, so well done with yours.
Mill Hill was hard work yesterday !.

Trevor.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Very nice new Red Admiral, Katrina. :) This time last year I was tripping over them, but not so this year. That Wall is lovely and fresh, and a wild Peacock chrysalis is a great thing to see. :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a great Wall shot and the Red Admiral fairly jumps out of the screen Katrina :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Love the Wall Brown pic, Katrina. I have only ever seen and photographed this butterfly once in my life. It seems I never live in places near where they are; except that one time when I lived in the New Forest and Keyhaven was not far away which is where I saw my single Wall Butterfly. At the time I was a birder and only a birder so it didn't make an impact on me until much later.

Ernie F
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Trevor, I must admit it seemed like hard work yesterday until I bumped into Dave Cook and it all started happening.
Thanks Dave, I was really pleased to see the Chrysalis, just in the right place at the right time to share the fruits of Dave Cooks hard work. I agree there hasn’t been many Red Admirals this year.
Thanks Wurzel the red admiral again was a Dave Cook find.
Thanks Ernie, I am quite lucky they are not too far away from me.

Return to “Personal Diaries”