Vercors browns

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Part timer

Vercors browns

Post by Part timer »

Hi all

A few images from June 2017 in the Vercors area of France (between 800m and 1600m or so, that I'd appreciate opinions on.

The first is clearly either female Wall or Large Wall - I am tending towards the latter - form Adastra perhaps?

The others are various erebia, to which I have had very little previous exposure. There were plenty of almond-eyed and Piedmont ringlets around, that I was fairly confident with; plus the odd Arran brown, but I'm less sure about these three, which aren't in the best of condition. My guesses are that the first two are common brassy ringlet; and the third may be the same or may be bright-eyed ringlet.

Grateful for any thoughts.

Rupert
Attachments
DSC_1883.JPG
DSC_2010.JPG
IMG_0686.JPG
IMG_0693.JPG
bugboy

Re: Vercors browns

Post by bugboy »

The first does indeed look like a Large Wall, the rest are Erebia sp. of which I have zero experience with outside of the UK so I wouldn't know where to begin!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Hi part-timer. I think you've got your IDs correct, although I believe your second erebia is a Bright-Eyed Ringlet, along with the third.

With you for Common Brassy as #1.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

David is right for the Erebia. The second one is a male oeme and the third a female of the same species.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Part timer

Post by Part timer »

Thank you all. I'm pleased that I got the species right, if not all the individual photographs.

The last set of ID challenges from my Vercors trip last year are a number of pyrgus species (which I know you all like :D ) - I will try and post these soon.

Regards, Rupert
David M

Post by David M »

I love a pyrgus challenge, Rupert. Bring it on.

Return to “Identification”