Wasps vs Large White

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Alanp

Wasps vs Large White

Post by Alanp »

Large Whites have been particularly active laying eggs in our cabbage patch but this year the patch has been patrolled day after day by wasps who actively chase/harass the butterflies. I haven't seen the wasps near the eggs but they definitely do approach the adult butterflies.
Has anyone else witnessed this behaviour?

P.S. If I knew how to add photos I would add a few not very good quality ones of wasps near to butterflies.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Wasps vs Large White

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Alan,

I have not seen wasps harassing adult butterflies, but have seen them taking larvae from the food plant, particularly Large White caterpillars. I have found that Small White caterpillars tend to survive predation form wasps more successfully, probably because they are solitary and better camouflaged. There are also lots of smaller parasitic wasps about which are seeking to lay their eggs into those of the butterfly or its larvae.

For guidance on how to add images to a post, check this link.
http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/howtovideos.php and go to "How to post on the forums".
The process has changes slightly since the video was produced, so you need to click on "Attachments" and then "Add files".

Vince
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I've seen a Hornet, our largest wasp, take a Gatekeeper in mid air and the other week I watched one trying to catch Skippers (it settled for a honeybee in the end) but I've never witnessed the smaller Vespula hunting larger butterflies.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

I have seen wasps attempting to land on Peacocks and Green-veined Whites in the past. I have never been clear about what they were trying to achieve. The butterflies have always been feeding and it looks as though the wasps have deliberately flown at the butterfly as if they saw it as prey. However, I am really not sure what they were trying to achieve, or why they were attracted to the butterflies.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Alan

Wasps do sometimes make opportunistic kills of even large adult butterflies, usually when they are at their most vulnerable, either while feeding or egg-laying.

In 2007 I watched a wasp kill and devour a (released) female Black-veined White at Stockbridge Down, while she was part-way through laying an egg batch.

BWs, Neil
Alanp

Post by Alanp »

Thank you all for those interesting and helpful contributions. I think perhaps vulnerability while laying eggs might be an important factor.

I'm not sure if these quite poor photos (although it isn't easy to capture butterflies and wasps interacting in flight) contribute much to the discussion but here goes
Attachments
Butterflies_2018_006.jpg
Butterflies_2018_005.jpg
Butterflies_2018_003.jpg
Butterflies_2018_002.jpg
Butterflies_2018_001.jpg
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I was videoing false ilex hairstreak in 2004 when a wasp zoomed in and flew off with the butterfly. This is a frame from the video:

Roger G will remember the day.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
millerd

Post by millerd »

I have watched a wasp attack a Peacock butterfly: the wasp first stung the butterfly then proceded to dismember it, cutting off the wings and head. It appeared quite brutal, and to no real purpose as the wasp then did nothing with the corpse and just flew off.

Dave
Alanp

Post by Alanp »

Nature_2016_003.jpg
Thanks for the really interesting photo. Here are a couple of photos I took in 2016 of a wasp feeding on a larva (unidentified).
Attachments
Nature_2016_001.jpg

Return to “General”