Blood Moon

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Blood Moon

Post by Padfield »

I'll kick off!

The colour is true - it was an awesome sight.

And with Mars:

Shadow leaving:

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Blood Moon

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Very nice Guy, you lucky person... Not sure you are going to get many takers in the UK. After waiting almost 2 months for any rain in Cambridge, the thunderclouds duly arrived a few hours ago and there was no chance of spotting the moon at all. My best shot was from a couple of years ago - Moonrise over Ely Cathedral (taken from way out across the flat fenland landscape with a long lens)...
Attachments
Ely Cathedral moon.jpg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Very nice photos, Guy. I especially like the bright red Mars with the duller red moon! As Trev wrote, we were not so fortunate here - solid cloud, although we avoided the thunderstorms, locally.

Mike
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

From another forum.
.....lunar eclipse which is of no real astronomical importance
My physics teacher (a keen amateur astronomer) said exactly that when there was a convenient lunar eclipse during after-school “science club”.

I would agree up to a point. However, the layman can easily notice two things, neither of them being mentioned in the recent media hype. The Earth’s shadow on the Moon shows that the Earth is round. (to which someone said: "tell Trump that"). The shadow also illustrates the relative sizes of Earth and Moon (for practical purposes, it can be assumed that the sun is at an infinite distance with respect to the Earth/Moon system).

Jack

Return to “General”