Encounter with a fresh Adonis Blue (M).

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Testudo Man

Encounter with a fresh Adonis Blue (M).

Post by Testudo Man »

Back in May this year, i had a great encounter with a "fresh" Male Adonis Blue.
Checking my records, it was on the 26/5/18...and past 7.00pm!
I had 3 cameras with me, and shot some nice images that evening.
These first 6 images are all uncropped. As usual, just down sized. My basic "editing" of my images was utilized.
As you can see, the images are "natural", an taken whilst the butterfly was on his chosen "roosting perch".

Location - Darland Banks, Gillingham, Kent.

The "encounter" in pictures then, cheers Paul.
26th-May-2018-to-600k.jpg
26th-May-2018-to-600p.jpg
26th-May-2018-to-600o.jpg
26th-May-2018-to-600L.jpg
26th-May-2018-to-600m.jpg
26th-May-2018-to-600n.jpg
Testudo Man

Re: Encounter with a fresh Adonis Blue (M).

Post by Testudo Man »

3 more images of the same butterfly.
The first 2 images are uncropped, but the last image was cropped some.
The reason for the last image to be cropped, is the nature of the camera/lens/set up.
For the last image, i used a Nikon V1/FT1 adapter/Sigma 150mm macro lens.
With this set up, by using the FT1 adapter, you lose the ability to adjust/change your focus point,
which means you can only focus centrally!

All the other images were shot using a Panasonic FZ150, coupled to a Polaroid 500D close up filter.
I do like to try to compare images, by using different cameras/setups, an i think the last 2 images show this.

Cheers Paul.
26th-May-2018-to-600q.jpg
26th-May-2018-to-600a.jpg
26th-May-2018-to-600b.jpg
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Good set of photos, Paul.
My go-to fail-safe camera is the FZ150.
Keep up the good work.
Chris.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Chris Jackson wrote:Good set of photos, Paul.
My go-to fail-safe camera is the FZ150.
Keep up the good work.
Chris.
Thanks Chris. This Adonis Blue did behave for me on the day!
Yes, the FZ150 is my Butterfly/Dragonfly go-to camera. Ive been using it for several years now. Ive had to experiment with trying to get the right in-camera settings(that work for me) but now feel its set up just right. The added Polaroid 500D close up filter works very well too.
The FZ150 is lightweight, fast to focus, quick and easy to use...and has a nice macro setting in the menu, which i use 99% of the time.
As long as the light is ok, an i always opt for ISO 100, then im pretty sure to get some half decent images.

Unfortunately, on that day, i must have picked up some dust, because i have a "Dust Bunny" showing on my images now.
I know how this happened(It was my fault) :oops: When swapping over cameras, i kept laying the FZ150 down(in all the deep grasses) before the lens returned back into the body, when switching off the camera. I was in such a hurry to capture shots of this cracking male, i should have waited a couple of seconds, for the lens barrel to return. So im guessing when the lens was returning, it sucked all manor of dust/debris back into the camera...Oh well, we live an learn :roll:
Cheers Paul.

Return to “Photography”