essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: essex buzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Wurzel, yes they are in pretty good nick. I had to be patient though-I didn’t really get any Chalkhill images until after 7PM!

Thanks David, it just shows the difference from one side of the country to the other, never mind north to south. The Graylings here are very special. Not only are they a little inland, but the colony exists on chalk, and I think they are the last in SE England. Of course, they also occur on chalk on the south coast-they are common around Lulworth Cove for example. Here is a grab shot of the eye-spots, after a couple of seconds the fore wings are lowered out of sight.
E692A431-864E-495E-8025-684B7E5A1677.jpeg
Common Blues and Small Coppers were seen here, at the bottom of the slope.
2D532C8E-2400-4213-9F99-3517039D06A0.jpeg
Here is a female Common Blue, of the brown form. Very similar to the Brown Argus.
12754AC7-411B-47F1-856A-B7677134C743.jpeg
Lastly here is a habitat shot. Again, not quite up to Guys standard!
8479DDDA-0CEA-482F-912E-6B7F5132B5D7.jpeg

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Like the two Blue species shot Essex :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for the commentary on the Graylings, Mark. It really is a species I need to pay closer attention to. Most years I see them in small numbers whilst looking for other things. That's not good enough!

I also like your final image, which gives an indication of just how dry Britain has been over the last few weeks, :(

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

essexbuzzard wrote:...it just shows the difference from one side of the country to the other, never mind north to south...
It does indeed, being in the midlands I tend to go north nearly as often as I head south and see many differences in flight times, broods and behaviours.
essexbuzzard wrote: ...The Graylings here are very special. Not only are they a little inland, but the colony exists on chalk, and I think they are the last in SE England. Of course, they also occur on chalk on the south coast-they are common around Lulworth Cove for example...
As well as around Lulworth Cove, I have also seen good numbers on the slopes above Durdle Door and going west above the chalk cliffs towards Bats Head.

Seeing various comments about the Graylings at Windover Hill being the last chalk based population had me wondering if it meant the last in Sussex or if they were somehow different to those on chalk in Dorset.

Cheers,

Neil.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

That’s my point, Neil. Chalk Graylings are common on many parts of the Dorset coast, but perhaps these are genetically different to those in Sussex. Certainly, the ones in Sussex are very important, as they now occur in small numbers at this isolated SE England site, having been fairly widespread there as recently as the 1990’s.

David M

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote:That’s my point, Neil. Chalk Graylings are common on many parts of the Dorset coast, but perhaps these are genetically different to those in Sussex. Certainly, the ones in Sussex are very important, as they now occur in small numbers at this isolated SE England site, having been fairly widespread there as recently as the 1990’s.
This is a much overlooked demise, Mark. Neil H has very kindly posted his views as to why the species has declined so markedly in this habitat, but perhaps it's time we all paid attention to it, because amidst all the moves to improve things for a myriad of species, the humble Grayling seems to get ignored.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Yes, this one seems to have gone relatively unnoticed, until now. But we have Neil H on the case, so there’s hope.

The Chalkhill Blue is the classic butterfly of the Downs in High summer, and I love it. However, the heatwave has made photography more difficult than usual, restricting opportunities to a short period in early mornings and late evenings. Devils Dyke, near Newmarket, is my local site, and our conservation work has seen a big increase in numbers in recent years. Here are a couple of evening shots.
7675C1D1-F143-4177-8E2C-0E2E1ECD432A.jpeg
722A791C-3F8F-480B-9330-A0B84706DC49.jpeg
Even these were difficult to get, so I decided to try a morning. However, even at 7AM they were very active, even those in the shade when the sun hadn’t yet reached, flew off when approached. But there were plenty of them, making a splendid sight, and this one showed well.
17A23EEB-1125-4281-A025-7673D0F1C32B.jpeg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Chalkhills Essex :D I know what you mean about the frenetic way butterflies are behaving at teh moment Essex :roll: Things are set to freshen up/cool down next week so hopefully the butterflies will slow down a bit :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote:..However, the heatwave has made photography more difficult than usual, restricting opportunities to a short period in early mornings and late evenings.
Indeed, Mark. Things are never straightforward, are they? Even at 9am yesterday Hedge Browns were 'closing up'. It's best if you can get around 40% cloud cover to give the butterflies some relief.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

With things now running well ahead of schedule, it was time to visit Aston Rowant. Another hot day, it was essential to get there early, which I did. A handy bit of patchy cloud slowed things down a little, giving me valuable extra minutes. Here are some Chalkhill Blues.
679D9736-7C88-4532-BBA6-36DBA3A0122B.jpeg
8498C98E-F114-4C75-8EB3-7068BCED0463.jpeg
Then m attention turned to the Silver Spotted Skippers. I saw a few early on, but as the day warmed up, more and more of these little beauties appeared. Some were already showing their age, remarkable for the third week in July. But most were excellent, and will probably peak next week.
DD2C5A2B-9B85-4021-AD38-76220AF74B32.jpeg
78DA113E-E590-482C-8FF9-5C76AF6FF6F6.jpeg

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

All the usual butterflies were seen, including Common and Holly Blues, Brown Argus and Dark Green and Silver-washed Fritillaries. Overall, numbers of butterflies were probably higher on the northern (motorway) end of the site rather than the quieter southern section. Here is a freshly emerged SSS, which showed nicely.
8EBA5D46-749A-45B2-9D00-DB2B46C2881F.jpeg
By lunchtime, at was getting hot, and was time to finish. So I’ll sign off with a couple more SSS pictures.
1ACD4A12-9F4A-4CFF-8E21-862BB0FA1792.jpeg
7A211365-D1F7-4D12-96D9-8C134CD11AF0.jpeg

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Essex B, all three pics of SSS's in your last post were SSStunners!

I have never seen such a white marking on the sex brand as you captured in your last pic. Is this an ab, or have I just not been observant enough in the past?

Ernie F
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Some lovely shots of the Chalkhills and SSS's there Mark. :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant Sivler-spots Essex :D That last one is a real cracker :D :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

That last SSS image is quite intriguing, Mark. The sex brands of the male appear very pronounced with a 'waxy' sheen. Is it just the angle from which you've taken it?

millerd

Post by millerd »

Very nice Silver-spots, Essex, especially that last extremely new one. :) Time for another visit up there I think - there may even be some Adonis out by now, and hopefully even a Clouded Yellow...

Dave

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks everyone for your comments. The last SSS was freshly emerged, and it was also quite early in the day, so I think that’s why the sex-brand is more pronounced than usual. Dave (millerd), you need to be quick, as the SSS were in full flight a couple of weeks ago! Good luck!

Just back from a week in Spain, to the Montes Universalles, sort of south-east of Madrid. As you can imagine, it was hot, and in many places very dry by late summer. Yet the butterflies here were remarkable, bot in variety and number, and having never visited this are before, I had many firsts, lifers.

Much more to come on that, but for now I’ll finish with some Silver Spotted Skippers, which were putting on a good show during a short visit to Lydden Temple Ewell on Sunday afternoon. The first new late-summer brood Adonis were also on the wing. :D
Attachments
F90E7278-1164-4544-934D-E27B6F2CF59F.jpeg
74C80343-89A4-41E2-AB70-6412195425DB.jpeg
399C2C73-A6B1-4CDB-8AE0-DAD105868917.jpeg
4DC29DFF-4EA5-4B74-9F80-F99D1BF46DB2.jpeg

millerd

Post by millerd »

I hope to get to East Kent too before the end of the month, Mark... It's looking good. I have been to Aston Rowant again (on 5th), and as you say the hillside was teeming with Silver-spots. :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More cracking Silver-spots Essex :D :mrgreen: Looking forward to the Spanish butterflies :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Nice to see the Adonis is out round your way, Mark. They have yet to appear near me.

Ernie F

Return to “Personal Diaries”