Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Katrina

Post by millerd »

Some nice evening-lit butterflies there Katrina. It's been about the only comfortable time of day recently too... :) Nice Purple Hairstreaks too. :mrgreen:

Dave

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Trevor, I got a bit lucky there!
Thanks Andrew, it was an opportunistic find I had been looking for Chalkhills. It was good to see you at Chiddingfold and see your photos!
Thanks Essex and David, Andrew555 and I had spotted some flying on the previous visit, so my sister and I went looking a bit earlier and I have her to thank for spotting them.
Thanks Ernie, the Small Copper was still and trying to roost but eventually decided I got too close and flew off.
Thanks millerd , I am normally more a morning person but I read somewhere they don't like people at Friston Gallops until the afternoon as they do actually exercise horses there.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Such lovely images recently Katrina that I'm struggling to pick a favourite but it has to be that last Small Copper. I love that effect you have managed to create which makes for a really interesting composition :mrgreen:

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Pauline, I was pleased with that one!

Katrina

Saturday morning

Post by Katrina »

On Saturday morning I went up to Windover Hill . I saw many Chalkhills waking up, Dark Green Fritillaries (mainly worn), Meadow Browns , Gatekeepers and a Small Copper. I didn't find any Graylings but others did a bit later on.
Attachments
DSC03680.JPG
DSC03667.JPG
fullsizeoutput_2486.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2479.jpeg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Beautiful open winged Chalkhills Katrina :D :mrgreen: Looks like you've got an ab.obscura there as well :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous stuff, Katrina. Clearly, early mornings or mid-evenings are opportune periods for photographing lycaenids. I only wish I had them on my doorstep so I could do likewise.

trevor

Post by trevor »

I love your last image, it has commercial qualities.
Enlarged, it could comfortably hang on the wall of a trendy apartment.

Great stuff,
Trevor.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I couldn't agree more Trevor! Katrina, you are producing some wonderfully artistic and creative images - that last one is a stunner :D

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you for identifying the ab Wurzel :D
Thanks David , not quite on my doorstep but at least a short drive.
Thanks Trevor and Pauline, you are too kind as ever.

Katrina

Castle Hill

Post by Katrina »

Today I arranged to go with 2 friends and their son to Castle Hill. The only time that worked for both of us was in the middle of the day. I was hoping both to catch up with them and give then a window into the butterfly hobby experience and hopefully share some of my enthusiasm. I think I at least had a modicum of success in my mission with my friend getting very good at spotting Gatekeepers. We were beaten back by the heat early though.
Seen today were Small Whites, Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns, Common Blues, Chalkhill Blues, Brown Argus, Marbled Whites, Dark Green Fritillaries, a single Dingy Skipper, a single Small Blue, some skippers, a Speckled Wood and some Burnet moths - six-spotted I think.
Attachments
Common Blue Female I think
Common Blue Female I think

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I agree with the others, those Chalkhill Blue shots are wonderful. I’m guessing that was about 6 in the morning!

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks essex, not that early, between 7.30 and 8 am.

millerd

Post by millerd »

That is a great Chalkhill photo, Katrina. One of these days I must get up that bit earlier... :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great photo of the Blue Katrina and I reckon you're spot on with the ID - a female common :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Bit of an ambiguous one with that last image, Katrina. There isn't a great deal of separation between the first two spots at the hindwing edge, although I'd favour Common Blue over Brown Argus given what you've shown us.

Do you have any upperside image?

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Wurzel and David, didn't manage any upperside shots too active!

Katrina

Chantry

Post by Katrina »

Yesterday I went to Chantry Hill. Highlights were silver-spotted skippers and small coppers.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_24c8.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_24c9.jpeg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Love that Small Copper shot Katrina, just lush that is :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely SSS, Katrina. I'm sure there'll be plenty more over the next week or three!

Return to “Personal Diaries”