Southampton Area

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
JIMCOBB49

Southampton Area

Post by JIMCOBB49 »

Hello All
I am travelling down from Scotland to Southampton for a few days from the 14 th. August.Can anyone suggest good sites to see non-Scottish butterflies there using public transport as I will not have a car?Thanks in advance Jim
Mark Tutton

Re: Southampton Area

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Jim
probabaly the best reserve to visit would be Magdalen Hill Down its 15miles from Southampton near Winchester but good train service to Winchester and there is bus stop right outside the reserve. Chalk Downland managed by Hants BC so should be perfect for non-scottish species - Chalk Hill Blue in abundance and possibility of Adonis.
Good Luck
Mark
http://www.hantsiow-butterflies.org.uk/ ... erve%20Map
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
JIMCOBB49

Post by JIMCOBB49 »

Thanks Mark,will try that Jim
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Youre also not too far from Lulworth Skipper territory (i reckon that qualifies as non scottish!) If you can get to Swanage, buses from Poole and Bournemouth, breezer 40 and 50 respectively, try Durlston Country park. Route 40 also goes through Corfe Castle, where they are found too.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
jonhd

Post by jonhd »

If in Soton itself, via local bus:
- Rownhams Wood (Silver-Washed Frit, tail-end of White Admiral & His Majesty season)
- The Lakes area between Bakers Drove & Cromarty Road (Purple Hairstreak [apparently!])
- Peartree Common, Woolston (White-Letter Hairstreak)
- Top end of Southampton Common (Smessex skipper; HB; Marbled White)

If you're still in the area, PM me if you want more precise map locations!

AND, the New Forest is a 15-minute train ride (Beaulieu Road station for heathland species, inc. Silver-Studded Blue & Grayling; Brockenhurst for woodland species).

Jon
JIMCOBB49

Post by JIMCOBB49 »

Thanks Bugboy & Jon,will try to do as much as possible from your suggestions Jim

Return to “Sites”