Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Andrew for your post and I'm sorry it's taken so long to reply but I've been at sixes and sevens this last week so I'm just catching up.

We've not had the best of weather until Thursday when we went to Fleetwood and even then the wind was so strong it took the car door right out of my hand and blew it open, luckily no one was near. :D
Yesterday we decided to Visit Brockholes NR at Preston, I was looking to see if the WLH was out there, the Sun was really hot, the breeze at first on the cool side but in the afternoon it soon warned up.
We didn't see any HS's and other people thought may be it was too soon for them although they had been seen in the Elm tree's in Preston town centre of all places :D I'll have to go back again later in the week, the forecast is good for the rest of the week.
I did how ever get shots of my first of this year's Small Skipper's , Meadow Brown's and Ringlet, so it wasn't too bad.
I also saw this Small White Moth, again I don't know it's name :oops: also loads of Burnett Moths, the Sun making them shine and stand out colour wise,It was quite a lovely day. Goldie :D
Attachments
Moth 22nd June 2018.jpg
fullsizeoutput_96ac.jpeg
Sea Front Fleetwood Thursday
Sea Front Fleetwood Thursday
fullsizeoutput_96b1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_96ad.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_96ae.jpeg

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

That's a lovely shot of the Ringlet, Goldie - and I see your Meadow Brown has a double eye spot. :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

As Janet says a lovely shot of the Ringlet and double eyed Meadow Brown :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Janet and Wurzel, this new lens is terrific , the stabiliser has made a big difference , although I've had my other lens repaired I'm sticking with this one at present :D
I was lucky with the double eyed MB, most of them were very hard to find hiding in the Grass most of the time, in fact I came back with just two or three decent shots :D Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

We made a bad choice yesterday, we decided to go to Southport Dunes instead of the Lakes, thinking, really, with the Weather forecast so good for the rest of the week it was a good choice and we could go to the Lakes another day. :roll:
Dark Green Fritillaries had been seen at Ainsdale Dunes, 30 at one point, what we didn't know was that Traveller's had taken over the Car Parks :evil: The Rangers were there in force has were the Police!! Car's or not encouraged to park on the roads around the Dunes, so that was that.
We went back into Southport and went round Jubilee Walk instead, the heat was getting to us in the end, I did get shot's of a Small Skipper, Meadow Brown's mating ( I'd to follow them about bit :D) and a Small Heath just landing which kept it's wings open momentarily, (not such a good shot) :oops: but that was it, still the weather was great and there's always anther day. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_1699.jpg
fullsizeoutput_96ea.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_96e5.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_96e6.jpeg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small Heath can be teases can't they Goldie :roll: :wink: Nice set of shots particularly the mating pair :D I've used to see the Travelers every year around the Solstice and they were always friendly and pointed out Small and Adonis Blue but I think they were more hippy's than the other type of traveler :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Once again Wurzel ,thanks for your post, the Travellers we've seen so far have had the police there, so it's best to keep out of their way and today made up for that day :D

Glad you liked the Meadow Brown's :D

We decided on Brockholes today because at last White Letter Hair Streaks had been seen there, with the weather being so hot it fitted into our plans good.
We set off about 3pm because last year it was 4pm when we saw them. The air was hazy and you couldn't see the hills properly because of the haze caused by the smoke from the fire on the Moors which was being put out.
On arrival we went straight to the entrance to the Woods and sure enough there they were feasting on the Briers :D Also on the Briers was a Comma , Small White, Meadow Brown, and Skipper's, it turned out to be quite a good evening, Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_1756.jpg
fullsizeoutput_9730.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9737.jpeg
IMG_1739.jpg
fullsizeoutput_9734.jpeg
IMG_1771.jpg
Small White 27th June 2018 (1).jpg
Comma 27th June 2018.jpg

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Gorgeous photos of the WLHs Goldie - surely made up for the travellers! :D
It looks like you found a Small Skipper too - I haven't seen any of those yet. I'll have to get up to Brockholes!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brill Whitters Goldie :D It's great when a species keeps to the program and turn up when and where it's expected too :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You must be thrilled with those shots of the WLH Goldie, especially the last couple, but my personal favourite is the GVW - fabulous :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I'm currently wading through a weeks worth of posts on here after a week of long distance butterflying. You got some great shots, that new lens is certainly paying dividends :D

Some addictions are good for the soul!
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Goldie - Your WLH shots are the ones I am trying and failing to get. You should be chuffed. :D

Ernie F
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Janet, thanks very much :D If you go to Brockholes take Five pounds in change with you, you used to be able to use your card
to pay now it's change only, you can pay in the cafe, but that closes at 5pm so not very convenient if you go like we did late in the day :roll: It's worth the money though!!!! :lol:
Many thanks Wurzel, they were a treat to see but boy was it hot :lol: They were even on the part of the Brier's that were just out of the Sun :D I don't know about you but I find that most of the Butterflies I've seen and photographed have nearly all had their wings closed because of the heat.
Hi! pauline, glad you like the shots :D It was worth fighting the heat to get them :lol: the Hair Streaks never stopped long on any flower, they were in competition with Bee's, MB, all sorts of flys :roll: I got bitten by one, stung by Nettles, but it was worth it :D
Hi! Bugboy, thanks for your post, the new lens is great, the stabiliser has made all the difference to my shots although I did keep changing it and putting my other lens back on for the longer shots ( mu Husband was on stand by :lol: ) It's great he just enjoys being out in the country :D
Just got your posts ernie, :D I really am chuffed like you say, I hope you meet up with the WHS and get your shots soon.Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Some great WLH photos there, Goldie. Though they can be very approachable, when it's very sunny they seem to always be at the wrong angle to get good shots, but your second-to-last one is just spot-on. :)

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Dave, I've never seen so many in one go, last year there was just one and I was lucky to catch it , this year they weren't stopping very long, they were on the part that was partly in the shade as well :lol: I don't blame them it was still very hot even in the evening. :D Goldie :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great WLH's Goldie, glad that worked out for you. :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Andrew, lets hope the weather keeps up and the Butterflies :D Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Just seen your WLH photos Goldie, great stuff :D That is one species that I seriously lack decent photos of.

Cheers,

Neil.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Neil, I'm not surprised, they dodge about so much :lol:

It's been so hot ( as it as every where) but we're not used to 30c here :D We've had hardly any Butterflies in the Garden, when I've seen them it's been a case of in-and -out quickly, today however I spotted this Small White on the Bouls Mauve, so I just had to post it , others I saw and didn't get shots of were, Comma, Large White, Small Skipper and (Meadow Brown, which is a real surprise, I've not seen one in the Garden before.) Hope fully off to the lakes this week-end :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_1785.jpg
IMG_1784.jpg
IMG_1782.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely, crumpled Small White Goldie :D Looks how I feel, a bit disheveled by all this heat :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”