Do Large Blues fly in the afternoon?

Discussion forum for sightings.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Do Large Blues fly in the afternoon?

Post by Wurzel »

Alright there? I've got some time tomorrow afternoon and so was planning a flying visit to Daneways. However some of the books suggest that they're a morning species and so finding them in the afternoon could be difficult. Does anyone know if this is true as I'd rather not use up my Brownie points if so?
Cheers in advance :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Mark Tutton

Re: Do Large Blues fly in the afternoon?

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Wurzel
I was their last week and they were still flying well at 4pm - great site and good numbers too - finished with a pint of Rare Find in the Daneway Inn. Saw an unfortunate individual taken by a Downland Robberfly which is a rare beast in itself!
Daneway Banks
Daneway Banks
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

Well I hope somebody got a photo of that Robberfly, so that it can be brought to justice! :lol:
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

The only time I can logistically visit that site unaided is on a Saturday afternoon, past two years = plenty of pictures. All depends on the weather!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Here is the sadly deceased lady - I deprived the predator of its tea but sadly she didn’t survive - although I ha watched her lay at least half a dozen eggs so hopefully her progeny will come through!
Robberfly victim!
Robberfly victim!
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

PS the Robberfly only got a six month suspended sentence :D :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the information Mark and Bugboy :D Looks like I'll be cashing in the Brownie points tomorrow then, fingers crossed still :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That's a very duskily marked female, Mark. Was she the only one like that you saw? I wonder if this warm spell might have had an effect on the appearance of the emergees?
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Is there anyway of getting here by public transport?
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

aeshna5 wrote:Is there anyway of getting here by public transport?
Depends where you're coming from but I get the train to Stroud and you can catch a bus, the 54a, to Sapperton (The Glebe stop) from where it's a short walk to the pub and site. Check the bus times though as you don't want to miss the last one, you really are in the middle of nowhere!

One the subject of do they fly in the afternoon, not if it's roasting hot like recently it would seem....... :oops:
John W

Post by John W »

Taken at 16.07 and 17.11 on Monday 25th June at Daneway. QED :D
25-Jun-2018 - 1.jpg
25-Jun-2018 - 3.jpg
Cheers John W
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers all for your help...I did manage to get a few yesterday from 4-5:30 despite the temperature reaching 28. It was hard work and I did spend most of my time watching and waiting for them to settle but I was able to get a couple of shots. :D I'll have them sorted and ready post possibly as early as August :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Wurzel wrote:Cheers all for your help...I did manage to get a few yesterday from 4-5:30 despite the temperature reaching 28. It was hard work and I did spend most of my time watching and waiting for them to settle but I was able to get a couple of shots. :D I'll have them sorted and ready post possibly as early as August :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
I must have missed you by mere minutes. Think I was sat in the pub waiting for things to cool down a tad while you were braving the heat. Should have stayed on the bank so you could help me find some :?
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

bugboy wrote:
aeshna5 wrote:Is there anyway of getting here by public transport?
Depends where you're coming from but I get the train to Stroud and you can catch a bus, the 54a, to Sapperton (The Glebe stop) from where it's a short walk to the pub and site. Check the bus times though as you don't want to miss the last one, you really are in the middle of nowhere!

One the subject of do they fly in the afternoon, not if it's roasting hot like recently it would seem....... :oops:
Thanks, bugboy.

Return to “Sightings”