Unusual behaviour of P.E.'s at Chiddingfold

P.J.Underwood

Unusual behaviour of P.E.'s at Chiddingfold

Post by P.J.Underwood »

This year has been unprecedented in the woods at Chiddingfold.Most of the rides have had a new aggregate rolled in and this is obviously rich in minerals.As things have become very hot,the P.E.'s have appeared in large numbers and started attacking the surface and even the stones with their probosci.They have in the majority avoided baited areas or dog poo's.It is probably a longer job to extract the mineral as some have remained with closed wings for up to an hour.
I think that as the surface-like scalpings or railway aggregate-has heated up,it has started giving off a "vapour" that has attracted P.E.'s from a wider area than usual.I even saw them with the proboscis searching a stone.
What do you think?
P.J.U.
millerd

Re: Unusual behaviour of P.E.'s at Chiddingfold

Post by millerd »

There was definitely something there that interested them. However, as the stones heat up more than the bare earth, they were frequently taking to the shade to suck up whatever it is. I also noticed that before the Emperors were out, the White Admirals were also down on the gravel, as were a few Silver-washed Fritillaries on Tuesday.

Dave

Return to “Purple Emperor”