If you go out in the woods today... Yellowstone etc

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Kip

If you go out in the woods today... Yellowstone etc

Post by Kip »

I have just been lucky enough to spend two weeks touring Utah, Wyoming, South Dakota, Montana and Idaho in the US, centered on the Black Hills, Bighorn Mountains and Greater Yellowstone.
I knew there was a big list of potential species to be seen, and on final count I think I saw between thirty and forty... some of which I will share here if anyone is interested... watch this space :D
Not without true hazards btw...
IMG_7616.jpg
180605 Snake near Franklin_4974.jpg
Last edited by Kip on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More pics on http://ptkbutterflies.wixsite.com/photo-art - should you wish to look, I hope you like the site..
Kip

Re: If you go out in the woods today... Yellowstone etc

Post by Kip »

Firstly, Papilionids...
Very strong flying, never settling for long, hence not ideal views and not many photos. Western Tiger proved impossible despite it's frequent appearance!
180607e Papilio multicaudata_Devil's Tower WY_5707.jpg
Two-tailed Swallowtail
180612 Papilio zelicaon_ West Yellowstone 44.696959, -111.265412_6855.jpg
Anise Swallowtail

I was pleased to see Rocky mountain Parnassian ( ID credit to Guy)...on upland thin Sagebrush flats, on rocky substrate with intermittent larval food-plant saxifrages, visible in the photos. The female shows her sphragis well...
180616 Parnassius phoebus_ Jackson Hole WY_8058.jpg
180616 Parnassius phoebus_ Jackson Hole WY_8046.jpg
Last edited by Kip on Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
More pics on http://ptkbutterflies.wixsite.com/photo-art - should you wish to look, I hope you like the site..
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

thanks Kip ! lovely to see some Stateside butterflies

Charles
Kip

Post by Kip »

Thanks Charles... many more to come...
180605c Western White_ Devil's Gate Viewpoint WY_5035.jpg
Western White
About as easy to photograph as Peak White!! :roll:
180614  Euchloe ausonides_MO_7413a.jpg
180614 Euchloe ausonides_MO_7431.jpg
Large Marble

180613 Anthocharis sara_ West Yellowstone 44.696959, -111.265412_7273.jpg
Sara Orange Tip

Another restless customer, hence no males, just this single co-operative female
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Kip. Brilliant, as ever, to see the species you discover on your wanderings! I know at least two other people who will never forget your tragic attempts to photograph peak white in a car park in the Alps. :D Actually, I can't remember if you got it in the end ...

So far as I understand it, your Parnassian is P. smintheus, which is no longer considered a subspecies of P. phoebus, which is no longer the name for what we all call P. phoebus anyway, which is now called P. corybas, which is represented in the Alps by P. sacerdos ... (see https://www.zobodat.at/pdf/NEVA_31_0071-0084.pdf). Leraut still calls the Alpine species P. corybas but either way, you still get a new species!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Lovely to see the butterflies you saw in the US. I spent three months touring the States in 1995 and I remember seeing a number of butterflies at the time. Sadly, I wasn't quite to obsessed with butterflies in those days, so didn't identify any and I didn't have a camera suitable for photographing them. I now think of it, and other trips, as lost opportunities!!
David M

Post by David M »

You sure get to some interesting places, Paul!

I love the Sara Orange Tip. Gorgeous little butterfly.

Not so sure about the bear though!! At least butterflying in western Europe doesn't contain a risk of being pursued as a potential meal!
Kip

Post by Kip »

Thanks all!
Guy - You made my day giving me a new species but threw me into confusion at the same time!!! :D Sure did LOOK like Small Apollo, but I'm happy it's not... Intuitively, none of these very widely separated species should be identical after eons apart! :? btw, no I never did get the photo, that year at least :lol:

Tony - it's fun having digital cameras nowadays - has made my life far more interesting! I don't know if you agree, but US species sometimes feel thin on the ground as you walk through seemingly great habitat.... but then a couple of sites I stumbled upon this time were simply heaving with different species, much to my delight. :D

David - Truly, bears and snakes are dangerous customers, which did cause me constant concern, as there are many many warnings around and about, and my newest book buy "Death in Yellowstone" didn't half scare me.... missing people being found scattered over several acres having met a "grizzly" fate :( I fear I all too often forgot in the heat of a new butterfly encounter, but made it through unscathed - hopefully more by judgement than luck :lol:

Anyway.... Satyrids are not over represented.... here are the few I saw and achieved some sort of image of....

Firstly, the familiar Large Heath, or as the US calls it "Common Ringlet"... it was a fairly frequent find.
180606 Coenonympha tullia_ Custer_5611.jpg
180616 Coenonympha tullia_ Jackson Hole WY_8396.jpg
Secondly their Common Alpine, the only erebia I saw... E. epipsodea... took me back to the Alps :D
180607f Erebia epipsodea_ Mosier Gulch Buffalo WY_5839.jpg
180607f Erebia epipsodea_ Mosier Gulch Buffalo_5951.jpg
180614 Erebia epipsodea_MO_7487.jpg
A surprise find on a hot Montana Sagebrush scrub hillside... Uhler's Arctic.... same family as Alpine Grayling, and a devil to get within 6 feet of in the gale that was blowing ( a frequent obstacle during the trip)!!
180614 Oeneis uhleri_ 45.062942, -111.172260 MO_7351.jpg
Lastly, found in open sagebrush scrub on my second last day... Hayden's Ringlet, with a restricted range of the "Greater Yellowstone area".... ironically seen outside the park when I didn't even hope for it.
180616 Coenonympha haydenii_ Jackson Hole WY_8288.jpg
180616 Coenonympha haydenii_ Jackson Hole WY_7943.jpg

More to come yet!!!!
David M

Post by David M »

Some fascinating satyrids there, Paul, especially the Large Heath (or Common Ringlet) which is quite unlike the European ones.
Kip

Post by Kip »

I suppose the tullia are more like the scotica form we have... they seem more active than ours!

Nymphalids were not over-represented either, in my finds, but here are those I photographed...

The Sagebrush Checkerspot....
180605b Chlosyne acastus_ North Platte River WY_5157.jpg
180605b Chlosyne acastus_ North Platte River WY_5347.jpg
The Field Crescent....
180616 Phyciodes campestris_ Jackson Hole WY_7861.jpg
Edith's Checkerspot....
180616 Euphydryas editha_ Jackson Hole WY_7728.jpg
and the only larger Fritillary I saw, the Callippe Fritillary...
180616 Speyeria callippe_ Jackson Hole WY_7715.jpg
I saw several Commas, this is the Hoary Comma, which I rather assume the others were too ( I will never know... hard work to get to, and quite worn generally)....
180608j Polygonia gracilis_ 44.903921, -110.117442 WY_6131.jpg
180608j Polygonia gracilis_  44.903921, -110.117442 WY_6166.jpg
Finally, and on the last day, the large and simply gorgeous Weidermeyer's Admiral....
180617 Limenitis weidermeyerii_ Meuller Park SLC UT_8595.jpg
I did see and photograph a single very worn Milbert's Tortoiseshell, record shot only, not worthy of a place here. :( More to come, Blues and Hairstreaks really did show well!! :D
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Wow Kip - that Weidermeyer's Admiral is just out of this world! Fabulous shot and what a gorgeous creature!
I am always intrigued by the similarities between many US species and their European relatives, and what it means in terms of evolutionary timescales and continental drift - would love to visit the US one day on a butterfly expedition...
Looking forward to your next posts.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

petesmith wrote:Wow Kip - that Weidermeyer's Admiral is just out of this world! Fabulous shot and what a gorgeous creature!
I am always intrigued by the similarities between many US species and their European relatives, and what it means in terms of evolutionary timescales and continental drift - would love to visit the US one day on a butterfly expedition...
Looking forward to your next posts.
I agree - it's absolutely fascinating and Kip's posts from the New World really illustrate it well. A lot of the shared Holarctic groups must have made the passage (one way or the other) by the northern route during one of the last two interglacials. When the ice retreats the butterflies follow it north - and the distances between East and West at high latitudes are of course not nearly so big as they look on standard map projections of the world. Then the ice heads south again, pushing the butterflies down, where they remain genetically isolated until the next interglacial warm period. That can't be the case for the tropical groups, though, like Eurema, which occur throughout all the tropical regions. Something else must be going on there.

Every time I see Kip's posts I want to go on a trip to the US too ...

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Kip

Post by Kip »

Thanks chaps... every time I go, I marvel at the species similarities, and differences! I hadn't thought of warm enough polar regions and merely assumed stem species must have existed x million years ago on Gondwanaland, the Northern theory is more sensible :lol:
btw, if Guy, you ever want to put that trip into action, I would love to be there too!!- As I think we discussed when I last saw you, I'm going to Alta in 2 weeks, yay!! :D
David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous continuation, Paul. I absolutely love the Field Crescent, which looks like a Marshie treated with a heat lamp and a freezer during pupation!

Even better is the Weidermeyer's Admiral, which I'd never even heard of until you posted the image, so many thanks for that.

Yes, the US has some really interesting species and is well worth a trip to see a selection of them.
Kip

Post by Kip »

Thanks David, I love the description!!
I didn't see as many Hairstreaks or Coppers as I had hoped for, these are what did present themselves, not a bad, if small, selection...
Firstly, the Lustrous Copper....
180608k Lycaena cupreus_ Beryl Spring WY_6194.jpg
Then the lovely and intricate Western Pine Elfin...
180613 Western Pine Elfin_ West Yellowstone 44.696959, -111.265412_7175.jpg
The one I got most excited about, I hadn't even noticed it was in the book, but it was cracking!!... it's upperside, not ever shown at rest, is a shade of blue!, easily visible in flight - the Thicket ( or Blue Mistletoe)Hairstreak...
180612 Callophrys spinetorum_ West Yellowstone 44.696959, -111.265412_6953.jpg
Lastly, the first US Green Hairstreak I have seen... I think Sheridan's, rather than Bramble....
180616 Callophrys sheridanii_ Jackson Hole WY_7785.jpg
Just a few Skippers, then a Lycaenid finale, and all will be done :D
Last edited by Kip on Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

Another wonderful and intriguing assortment, Kip. So many of these US species are very similar to ones seen in Europe, but clearly geographical separation has seen them evolve into other forms. A fascinating issue and I look forward to your final instalment.
Kip

Post by Kip »

lastly then, the Blues, and skippers...
Melissa Blue,Plebejus melissa , in Sagebrush ultra-dry scrub with buckwheats and Lupines, SSB sized...
2018a Plebejus melissa_6025.jpg
2018a Plebejus melissa_6046.jpg
2018a Plebejus melissa_6060.jpg
The similar but slightly larger Acmon Blue,Plebejus acmon, found in more flower and Lupine rich scrubby grasslands...
2018b Plebejus acmon_8098.jpg
2018b Plebejus acmon_8382.jpg
2018b Plebejus acmon_7673.jpg
The similar but tiny Ancilla Spotted Blue, Euphilotes enoptes ancilla, found with the Acmon Blues,...
2018g Euphilotes enoptes ancilla_8035.jpg
Boisduval's Blue, Plebejus icarioides, found in almost every suitable looking flowery place, Common Blue sized, as were the following three species,....
2018c Plebejus icarioides_5798.jpg
2018c Plebejus icarioides_7622.jpg
2018c Plebejus icarioides_5407.jpg
Another Plebejus species, but seems much closer to Glaucopsyche in appearance, to me, the Greenish Blue, Plebejus saepiolus.This was the least frequently encountered, but a noticably different shade of shining blue in flight..
2018e Plebejus saepiolus_8173.jpg
2018e Plebejus saepiolus_8145.jpg
and to illustrate that... the Silvery Blue, Glaucopsyche lygdamus, almost as frequent as Boisduval's ...
2018d Glaucopsyche lygdamus_5927.jpg
2018d Glaucopsyche lygdamus_5750.jpg
2018d Glaucopsyche lygdamus_6468.jpg
My most favourite butterfly of the trip, Arrowhead Blue, Glaucopsyche piasus, found in dry sagebrush mainly, seen on three occasions ...
2018f Glaucopsyche piasus_7970.jpg
2018f Glaucopsyche piasus_7987.jpg
Lastly, a couple of worn singletons seen, both from small well watered, openly forested gulches....
Spring Azure, Celestrina ladon, which was Small Blue sized...
2018h Celestrina ladon_5978.jpg
and presumably Western Tailed Blue, Everes amyntula, Short-tailed Blue sized,...
2018i Everes amyntula_7210.jpg
Of the few Skippers, relatively, here are...
Persius Duskywing, Erynnis persius...
2018j Erynnis persius_4986.jpg
Rocky Mounain Duskywing Erynnis telemachus, (according to distribution)...
2018m Erynnis telemachus_8525.jpg
A worn Two-banded Checkered Skipper, Pyrgus ruralis..
2018l Pyrgus ruralis_7244.jpg
and finally Clouded Skipper, Thorybes pylades...
2018k Thorybes pylades_5738.jpg
2018k Thorybes pylades_5731.jpg
That's all folks!
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Fabulous, Kip! Love the Acmon Blue and Boisduval's Blue, and that Arrowhead Blue is absolutely divine.
Again, you can see many similarities with certain European counterparts, and yet divergence also.
Absolutely fascinating stuff - thanks for sharing these.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for this delightful sequence, Kip. I can see why you loved both the Acmon and the Arrowhead Blues...stunning butterflies.

The Boisduval's looks like some sort of hybrid between Green Underside and Alpine Blue! Fascinating.

Return to “Overseas”