Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Trevor

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:A taste of things to come.....................
That's quite a Swallowtail, Trevor. I hope you have a few more images of this?

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Janet, Wurzel & David.

Wurzel, I'm afraid that Swallowtail is not an ab., it has some wing loss.

Strumpshaw Fen.

We left Eastbourne at 6am for the four hour journey to Strumpshaw Fen. At just after 10am
we were in the RSPB building asking for directions to the best spots for Swallowtails.
The information gained was a little vague, it was suggested that we took the next road on the
left to the doctors garden. We passed a track but carried on for some distance looking for a road !.
Time wasted, we eventually found the doctors garden and the Sweet Williams, but no Swallowtails.

We ventured on to a large area of low growing Sallow and wild flowers. By now it was hot, so I sat
down under an Oak , and waited for Doug to catch up.
Behind the Oak I noticed a steep drop down to a low, very green area. By chance I saw a Swallowtail
flying in this low lying meadow. Further investigation revealed another Swallowtail had found the first
one and a chase was in progress. When they broke off, one Swallowtail landed on the tip of a Ragwort
for the first of many shots. Throughout the morning three Swallowtails were found, and all three
landed in a perfect position for photography and gave us several hours of pure entertainment.
Unfortunately all three had sustained some wear and damage, never the less it was great to be
among them for the first time.
The rest of the long weekend was a write off owing to extensive cloud cover.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1170222.JPG
P1170253.JPG
P1170292.JPG
P1170224.JPG
P1170251.JPG
P1170199.JPG

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Trevor :D I see the damage now - it's like someone has given it a trim slicing the eyes off :shock: Still they're cracking looking butterflies even when in less than perfect condition :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel, even damaged they were worth the trip.

June gap, what June gap !. This month has been manic. Two lifetime firsts and today
two new species for the year !. And that's without His Majesty, who has kindly bestowed
an early appearance upon us this year in Sussex.
Today it was the White Admiral and the Ringlet that kept me on my toes.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1170412.JPG
P1170403.JPG
P1170410.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great stuff Trevor :D :mrgreen: I know what you mean as everything seems to be happening at once :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Love the Swallowtails Trevor, :mrgreen: I'm definitely going next year! :D

Nice shots of the WA and Ringlet.

Cheers

trevor

Post by trevor »

This morning I thought I might risk a trip to Knepp. I left home under grey skies,
and arrived under grey skies. A real treat awaited me in one of the meadows,
an absolutely fresh Marbled White in a near perfect pose, and gave me the best image
I've ever obtained of this species. A little later a female Meadow Brown was found basking.

About lunch time, the Sun began to break through, as it did Neil Hulme arrived, followed
by a Purple Emperor flying low, and obviously searching for something nasty. It found what it
was looking for under a large leaved plant, and was almost hidden away. Neils request for
two sticks to move the Butterfly to a more photogenic position, almost suceeded but
failed at the last moment. This particular specimen, did however, fly onto foliage for some
distant shots, and later spent nearly an hour on the most disgusting Cow pat, laced Neils
patent liquid attractant.
Later Simon, from Southsea, who was also visiting, found another grounded Emperor
further along. This one was indulging on a Cow pat located in a ditch.
In between all this excitement, it was great to watch the Emperors flying among the Oaks.
I was fortunate to witness three in a chase.

I must thank Neil and Simon for a fabulous afternoon.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1170502.JPG
P1170504.JPG
P1170490.JPG
P1170479.JPG
P1170441.JPG
P1170456.JPG
P1170460.JPG
P1170425.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

How did Tesco's finest compare to Hulme's Special Sauce Trevor? :wink: Very jealous of your early Emperor :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

At last, Trevor! The Emperor action has begun.

I feel there are going to be plenty more images over the forthcoming few days! :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel & David.

It was an unfair competition as far as bait was concerned. The Knepp Emperors
seem to have developed a taste for Cow pats, rather than a sophisticated brew.
I hope to obtain many more, and better images when I have an Emperor all to myself.

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Hooray. Purple Pics. Love them all Trevor but the one I like the most is the distance shot of him perched high up scanning the horizon.

Ernie F
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Ernie, much more purple to come, hopefully !.

Today's local expedition was to search for White Admirals, in all I found three.
The first one was very flighty, and later was involved in a chase with a Red Admiral.
My second WA was very fresh, but had suffered severe wing loss. It was, however
capable of the elegant flight typical of the species.
A certain law, which worked in my favour, says that when it's time to call it a day,
and the camera is switched off, the best photo opportunity of the day presents itself.
Today it was a fresh WA that I happened to notice land on a bracken frond some distance away,
to my surprise this gorgeous butterfly stayed put for several shots.

The surprise of the morning was a tiny Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary, a male,
and in very good condition. For size comparison, see the image of the Small Pearl
nectaring on a bramble blossom.

An interesting morning.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1170562.JPG
P1170556.JPG
P1170514.JPG
P1170530.JPG
P1170557.JPG

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Good that you got to see some Swallowtails and get some nice images of them too, Trevor :D and it's great to see your shots of the Purple Emperor, I guess you're just warming up :wink: That's also a lovely looking White Admiral :D

Mike

David M

Post by David M »

That second White Admiral looks to have had an interesting life....I'd usually only expect that level of wing damage in mid-July!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Real nice shots of the Swallowtail back there Trevor and let's hope that PE is just the start of things to come :D See you at BB shortly!

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great to see you got your Swallowtails Trevor...and closely followed by Purple Emperor too :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.

trevor

Post by trevor »

A DAY WITH THE EMPEROR AND ADMIRAL.
Attachments
P1170591.JPG
P1170613.JPG
P1170597.JPG
P1170572.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

millerd

Post by millerd »

I recognise those butterflies, Trevor... :wink: :) Good to see the magic formula bearing dividends again. I saw another couple on my wander back to the car too. :)

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots Trevor of all your Butterflies, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Hope there still there when I come South in a fortnight :D
The Swallow tails are really outstanding photos Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Goldie & Dave. It was all go after 11.00 yesterday wasn't it Dave !.
Yes my bait was effective, but I couldn't help noticing the number of Emperors
which touched down briefly and kept doing so in a very unsettled manner.
Maybe they were moisture seeking on the parched ground. Next time I will
take a bottle of rain water to sprinkle on the ground as an experiment.

On the way home yesterday, I called in at Hollingbury park for the White Letter Hairstreak.
About eight were found, varying from very worn to fair condition, none were fresh.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1170622.JPG
P1170646.JPG
P1170628.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”