Site recommendations - Devon/Somerset/Dorset region

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
CallumMac

Site recommendations - Devon/Somerset/Dorset region

Post by CallumMac »

Hi all,

I'm going to be making a trip down to Devon/Dorset in the w/c Saturday 30th June, probably staying a couple of nights around Exeter and a couple around Weymouth, and then flexible thereafter (i.e. anywhere with a nice YHA!). It's for family reasons and is likely to very difficult and not at all enjoyable, so I've factored in a couple of days free to decompress and take my mind off things. Plenty of countryside and (weather permitting) butterflies, before I have to travel back home and go back to work.

It would be great, therefore, to get some site recommendations for this part of the world from UKBers. Given the time of year and the location, I have earmarked High Brown Fritillary and Silver-studded Blue as two possible target species. I have also never seen Large Blue but I guess they'll be mostly over by then - or might the Cotswold population still be flying? And I'll probably go for Purple Emperor and White Admiral en route either there or back. Any suggestions for these species, or other recommendations, would be most gratefully received!

If any forum members are based in the area and would like to meet and guide me round some local butterfly hotspots, that would be even better, but perhaps a bit too much to ask!
bugboy

Re: Site recommendations - Devon/Somerset/Dorset region

Post by bugboy »

Can't go wrong with Durlston country park near Swanage. Beautiful scenery, good range of butterflies, including Lulworth Skipper by the truckload, and Corfe castle is within easy reach, again with Lulworths.

I'm sure Wurzel, being a yokal of the shires will be able to add plenty more suggestions.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

You may have to travel a bit for High Brown Fritillary, Callum. Traditionally, the Heddon Valley has seen the best returns. However, they will certainly be about during your visit. The first one at the Welsh site was seen last week so I expect numbers to peak between 27 and 30 June.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Alright there Callum?

In terms of Dorset Bugboy is quite right that Durlston is a great site (as well as Lulworths you might get Clouded Yellow and early Grayling). Nearby to this is Arne RSPB reserve where there are lots of Silver studs - also Godlingston Heath where there is a late brood of Small Pearls. Nearer to Weymouth you've got Lulworth itself with Bindon Hill and Portland where there are Silver-studs at Tout Quarry I believe? Most of these places have visitor centres and/or webpages so you can check out how to get there and what's about and when you get there ask someone and they'll point you in the right direction. The best thing to do is check the Local Butterfly Conservation branches sightings page and also the sites section on this website itslef...
Here's Dorset for you;

https://www.dorsetbutterflies.com/sight ... htings.php

As for Large Blue, I visited Daneways this weekend and they've only been out a short while so you might pick up some of the late emergers?

Hope this helps!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

Thanks all - this is most helpful.

The Heddon Valley might be quite interesting as I've never been up to Exmoor before - we have tended to visit Dartmoor instead, being closer to Exeter.

My grandma in Weymouth also suggested the Portland quarries - either Tout or Broadcroft both sound quite interesting, and have SSB according to their listings on here.

Lulworth Skipper is slightly lower down my list of priorities, having seen it at Bindon Hill last year in the course of my fieldwork. That's not to say I wouldn't be delighted to see it again, but there are others I'd seek out first!
DSCN3778.JPG
That's encouraging to hear about the Large Blues at Daneway - I'll plan a pitstop there on my way down if the weather looks vaguely suitable.
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

If I were to travel back up the Southampton-Oxford-Northampton corridor route, where would people recommend to see His Majesty? I always used to go to Fermyn Woods, but I'm sure there must be other sites that would be less of a detour. I keep hearing good things about Bentley Wood?
David M

Post by David M »

I've been to Bentley a couple of times looking for Emperors, but my experience is that they don't descend as frequently as those at Fermyn. The car park is usually 'baited' but I've yet to see one there; mine have always been on the other tracks or flying around the canopies by the path prior to the car park.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Hi Callum - Large Blues might still be around at Collard Hill and there is a convenient Youth Hostel right next to the car park at Ivythorn Hill. Collard is not far from the A303 (turn off at Ilchester and then A372 and B3151) and also doable from the M5 and then A39 towards Glastonbury (turn right off the A39 immediately after the junction with the A361). I'd also endorse Durlston (I saw Lulworths there yesterday in far from ideal conditions). I believe there are supposed to be SSB near Budleigh Salterton, which isn't very far from Exeter.

Dave
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

Thanks for the tips, David & Dave. My plans have been forced to change so I'll now be travelling down tomorrow - not ideal in general terms but of course makes seeing a Large Blue much more likely! I think I'll try Daneway Banks tomorrow on my way down, and Collard Hill on Monday as it's slightly nearer Exeter.

Cheers, Callum
David M

Post by David M »

CallumMac wrote:..I think I'll try Daneway Banks tomorrow on my way down..
I'd say that would guarantee you Large Blue sightings, Callum. This site is a little later than Collard Hill but I suspect there'll be quite a few on the wing there tomorrow.

Return to “Sites”