Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

There is some truly sensational news from Sussex, about to break.
Either this evening or in the next day or so.
I was invited along, and was completely blown away.
I will post images after the announcement has been made.

I imagine the Sussex BC sightings page is something to keep an eye on.

Today's more mundane sightings...........
Attachments
P1160987.JPG
Mating Large Skippers.
Mating Large Skippers.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Real nice shot of the mating pair Trevor - didn't have time to wait to see if my ones would get there :D

PS. BTW, you're such a tease :wink: :lol:

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

C'mon Trevor, news is out :D Where's the shots?

trevor

Post by trevor »

Neil has said it all in his excellent piece.
But my story began last evening with a phone call from Dave Cook.
He asked me if I had any plans for today ( Monday ).I had nothing special on.
' Meet you at Ditchling common car park at 10.00 ', what for I asked?, ' you'll see ' he said.
This left me wondering what could be so special. A rare migrant was my first thought,
but surely it would have flown by morning.

I duly met Dave, and a little later Badger Bob. As we walked with Dave leading, a small
Butterfly was observed flying into a Hawthorn tree,' thats what we have come to see '
remarked Dave, the Black Hairstreak. Yes here in Sussex !!!.

I was ill prepared for this, a species always associated with locations off the M40 here in Sussex !.
When we began to search, or rather they appeared while we were searching, posing beautifully
on the Bracken fronds.

Only the images from a truely fantastic, thoroughly enjoyable, morning, can do justice to today.

More of the story later.
Attachments
P1160978.JPG
P1170010.JPG
P1170022.JPG
P1160972.JPG
P1160925.JPG
P1160993.JPG
P1170004.JPG
P1160949.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Astonishing stuff, Trevor and some brilliant images as well. :) Obviously the Sussex version hasn't heard about staying high up and causing neck ache like their M40 relatives... :)

Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Nice one Trevor, you didn't bank on that when the season started did You! I wonder how many other colonies are tucked away in the wilds of Sussex?

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Dave & Paul. One thing I've learned in life is you can never say never !.

What better way to celebrate page 100 of my diary, than with lots of Black Hairstreak images,
and a new species ticked off the list. It is also great to have a species that was hitherto
distant, now on my doorstep ( 24 miles ).

Ditchling common DAY 2.
Carrying on from yesterday, where the Black Hairstreaks almost found the visitors, today
was cloudy, cooler and breezier, consequently searching was slow going. About ten BHS
were eventually found, and all were in good condition and fairly easy going.

It was also a pleasure to meet so many familiar faces in one location and have a catch up.
Attachments
P1170077.JPG
P1170067.JPG
P1170069.JPG
P1170059.JPG
P1170048.JPG
P1170082.JPG
The orange spots on the upper side of the hind wing can just be made out.
The orange spots on the upper side of the hind wing can just be made out.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

What a stunning series of shots, Trevor, and they're posing brilliantly for you, and in Sussex :shock:

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots Trevor :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: But how did they get there?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

That's absolutely brilliant Trevor. :mrgreen: :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It's certainly great to hear that another species only found in one place for so long can now be found some where else at last, lovely shots Trevor :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Today was my third day at Ditchling common, but I originally intended to spend the morning at
Horseshoe plantation, near Birling Gap, in order to bag a few Marbled Whites and Dark Green Fritillaries.
I arrived early, and searched the whole site. It soon became clear that neither species had emerged
there yet, so what to do with the rest of the day, at just after 8.am.
Ditchling common beckoned for a third time. I arrived to an unusually full car park. The word was
well and truly out, and many more enthusiasts arrived as the day wore on. Photographers huddles
were witnessed all over the site. I kept well and truly out of the way so the Black Hairstreak virgins,
and there were many, could get their images.

Over the three days I met many UKB'ers, including Neil Hulme, Pauline, Katrina, Vince, Dave ( millerd ),
Martin ( Mr Spock ), Badgerbob, James ( B.Saurus ), and finally Mike ( Maximus ) for the first time.

Great to meet you all,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1170101.JPG
P1170103.JPG
P1170139.JPG
P1170134.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Marvellous shots Trevor, particularly the dreamy last one!.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Some good ones, there, Trevor. :) It was quite a party today down in Sussex, and great to see you and everyone else. :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great stuff Trevor :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Any chance you could persuade few of the Blackstreaks to start trekking to the Salisbury area :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

It was nice to finally meet you yesterday at Ditchling, Trevor :) your lovely images of Black Hairstreaks taken over the past few days inspired us to pay Ditchling a visit.

Mike

David M

Post by David M »

Who needs a winter social when you can all meet up like this!!!

Seriously, this has been a wonderful and surprising development and I just hope that now the colony has been found, efforts can be made to conserve it so that the species can consolidate at this location, which is far removed from its historic range in the UK.

trevor

Post by trevor »

A taste of things to come.....................
Attachments
P1170256.JPG

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Off to Norfolk, Trevor? Good hunting! :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a cracking shot Trevor - but is it an ab? It seems to have very pronounced black markings and doesn't seem to have the 'eyes'? or the blue markings :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”