ernie f

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
ernie f

Re: ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Alice Holt Woods - 15th June 2018

This afternoon found me strolling along the paths of Alice Holt looking for White Admirals. I had not seen any so far this year and today I saw three. One male just would not stop patrolling back and forth. Another was flitting about an oak tree. He would fly right over my head and glide so I could see clearly his white wing bands against the blue sky. Then another one came on the scene and they battled it out in a spiral sparring match for a while. The interloper flew off and my one decided (at last) to settle - but he settled a long way up the tree so this was the best shot I could get. It was like he was playing peek-a-boo with me around a leaf.
White Admiral playing peek-a-boo.JPG
As usual my first sighting of the year gives me the excuse to share a few of my past pics of this species.
White Admiral - sexes alike (1).JPG
White Admiral - sexes alike (5).jpg
White Admiral - underside (5).JPG
White Admiral - underside.JPG
Non-butterfly Snapshot of the day

In autumn as I have mentioned before, Alice Holt is great for fungi, so whenever I post about this location in future I shall probably add a fungus or two for good measure.
White Saddle - Helvella crispa
White Saddle - Helvella crispa
Black or Elfin Saddle - Helvella lacunosa
Black or Elfin Saddle - Helvella lacunosa

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Ernie F
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Lovely shots of the White Admirals Ernie :D I'm hoping to catch up with them next week when we're on holiday further south. Interesting fungus too - I especially like the first one.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Thanks Janet - I usually switch to fungi when the butterfly season is over. Some of them are just as colourful as many of our butterflies and can be just as interesting - and they don't move about quite as much when trying to get their picture. :lol:

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Another overcast day in Hampshire so its time for another of my posts on the results of my study to date on the Silver-studded Blues of Broxhead. Today it is all about...

Mating

Once connected they may stay together for about an hour. I saw one pair linked for 50 minutes but did not see them meet or part so their connection must have been longer than this. If you approach them when newly connected they easily spook and fly off together still connected, the male doing the flying while the female keeps her wings closed, effectively being towed along by the male. A strategy I have seen many other mating butterfly species use. However, if they have been mating for some while and are well-settled down I have found you can get very close indeed.
Silver Studded Blue - mating pair 7 (16).JPG
They like to perch back-to-back while mating like most UK butterflies do and they will walk along and around a stem together, usually the male forward and female backward until they are broadside to the direction of the sun (although I have seen the female lead and the male follow backward too). I tested their predilection for doing this. With the pair shown above I twisted the heather branch they were on through 90 degrees and indeed they moved around until they were side-on to the sun again. I repeatedly altered the angle, sometimes vertical, sometimes horizontal and at various angles in between and each and every time, they moved into their preferred position. They may do this to gain the energy they need for copulation although it must be said they are hardly energetic in this act as they will just stay there, otherwise motionless, until they have finished what they are doing.

On occasion they may not be completely back-to-back but some contorted variation on this theme; for example the extreme case in the picture below where one male has curved round completely to actually face the female. His back legs and one middle leg is standing on her body while one of his front legs and one of his middle legs is resting on the heather tip. The remaining front leg is resting on one of her forelegs. Her four front legs are standing on the heather tip but I cannot see her back legs. If she has no back legs, perhaps lost in a close call with a predator, this might be the reason for this awkward manoeuver.
Silver Studded Blue - mated pair shifted round to face each other (5).JPG
Mostly they will have their wings closed when copulating but I have seen males open their wings from time to time during coitus even when there are no other males about trying to muscle in.
Silver Studded Blue - mating pair 7 (15).JPG
And somehow in this next instance the male has managed to spin around and hangs down below the female. Most unusual.
Silver Studded Blue - mating pair 7 (31).JPG
On very rare occasions, even the female will open her wings during mating. This next pair were taking it in turns to open their wings. I think it had something to do with the fact that the whole morning had been overcast on this day and it only brightened up in the afternoon when I took this picture, so they were probably trying to combine mating with a spot of sun-bathing in order to store up energy that they were unable to obtain that morning. Of course to achieve this effectively they had to position themselves parallel to the direction of the suns rays (or nearly so) rather than broadside as mentioned in the previous examples. Butterfly behaviours never follow a simple rulebook – they are more complex creatures than we give them credit for sometimes. In this case I seem to have found that Silver-studded Blues orientate themselves in different ways dependent upon how much warmth is available to them.
Silver Studded Blue - mating with wings open (5).JPG
If you look closely and for a long while at a mated pair you may be lucky enough to witness the male repeatedly penetrating, withdrawing and re-penetrating the female. Here is a sequence of video stills of the action. The male has a tatty wing - I presume from a close call with a bird but this did not seem to worry the female unduly. (Please open text doc for pictures).
SSB mating detail.docx
(2.1 MiB) Downloaded 14 times
This sequence is then reversed to re-connect and then repeated. All the while neither butterfly moves anything other than its genitalia.

I presume this next pair are trying to disconnect and for some reason are having a bit of trouble. It looks like a painful tug-of-war going on!
Silver Studded Blue - pair mating 89 (7).JPG
Egg-laying

The females lay their eggs close to the ground on the food plant, usually a heather species at Broxhead and of course close to a black ant nest. The ants like the bare soil and close-cropped areas so the female butterfly chooses the young heathers close to bare or cropped ground. They are aware of the ants by the odorous trails they leave on the plants. The ants too are then aware of the butterfly's eggs before they have even hatched because the female has laid them on or close to their usual runs or even beside or actually on their nest! You may have to click to expand the next two pics.
Silver Studded Blue - female - laying eggs (11).JPG
The females land low down and then crawl down heather stalks and across and through fresh, un-blooming carpets of heather fronds to lay their eggs by curling their rear-end downward beneath them as is usual butterfly practice. They intersperse egg-laying sessions with nectaring and sun-bathing sessions.
Silver Studded Blue - female - laying eggs (9).JPG
That's it for this instalment of the Broxhead Blues. Next time: Roosting, Emergence & Decline.

Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Interesting information about the SSB Ernie particularly as I've not got any photos of this species in cop, to know that they join for such a long time is good to know, now I just need to find a pair :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel. Thanks. Yes finding a pair is the thing to do and now is probably the time to do it. :D

Just need a sunny day that's all.

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Two overcast days on the trot here - so here is my last instalment of the Broxhead Blue study to date.

Roosting preferences

At the Broxhead lek around 8.30 am one day in late June 2017, I counted 11 females of which 9 where roosting together on heather in the space of a 5 metre square; four of them on a single heather bush no more than one metre diameter. When the sun shone, they all opened their wings, and when a cloud came over they all closed them back and sat once again in the roosting position. The males roosted more or less at random spacings across the lek while this was going on - only the females were roosting communally but some of the males were already active and flying about. I wondered about this all-female roost because the books say nothing about single-gender roosting, so two days later I went back at 6 am just after sunrise with the idea that none would have moved from their night roosting positions at that time. The place where I saw 9 females all together, with 4 on one bush was precisely replicated. They were all there again, even the four on the same bush, but they were accompanied by one male this time. This suggests that roosts are “rooted” so to speak. The same individuals appear to go back to the same locations to slumber overnight it seems. I found another communal roost at the other end of the lek which had four males and two females and another just outside the lek which had four males and one female but there were a number of males dotted around not in communal roosts which must have been still in their night-time positions because I prodded one with my finger and he did not fly off. This shows that all the communal roosts were bi-gender after all but additionally it proved that not all individuals roost communally. I did not observe a female roosting singly though.

They roost pointing downwards to minimise the effect of predation of course. This explains why they often have bits missing from the edge of their wings. This is where it has had a close call with a bird. If they roosted face-up, a bird, usually approaching from above would get the head end first, more likely killing the butterfly. But roosting face down means the bird is more likely to peck at the rear and tips of the wings. A butterfly in this position can just drop from its perch and fly off and away from the bird's beak more effectively with only a tatty wing-edge to show for it. This was proven to me during the roost around 6.15 am when a predatory insect in the shape of a dragonfly approached one roosting male from above and he merely dropped from his perch down to a lower perching point, effectively evading the dragonfly entirely in this one simple, energy-conserving move. Incidentally it seems that the more insidious predators take their opportunities at night or around dawn. One morning I saw a poor male Silver-studded Blue that had succumbed to the ambush of a Misumena vatia crab spider which was sucking the juices from its victim where he rested, still in his roosting position; and I kept seeing harvestmen and hunting spiders on the move at this time.
4 males and 1 female roosting
4 males and 1 female roosting
Wing-rolling

A behaviour where the hind-wings are “rolled” over part of the forewings. This was the first species I saw do this. I don’t intend to go into this here as there is a discussion topic on UK Butterflies under the “General” theme, entitled:

“Wing-roll behaviour of some of the members of the Lycaenidae family”

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9738

Please feel free to add your own experiences and comments there. Thanks.

The only thing to re-iterate here is that SSB’s are capable of wing-rolling with their wings fully open and ajar as well as fully closed. When they do it with their wings open it reminds me of the Samba dance move!

Emergence and Decline

My book tells me that after the eggs have been layed, the larvae emerge in the following spring during March or early April and grow through four instars before they are ready to form a chrysalis. The ants either take or goad the caterpillar to their nest and the chrysalis forms within the nest. Three weeks later the butterfly emerges on a warm morning.

As a brood the Broxhead bunch begin their adult emergence in early June just around the time that the new blooms start to appear on the “pioneer” heather which the butterflies need for nectaring. The butterflies as a brood are then on the wing until mid August although individuals only last a couple of weeks within this time frame. There is usually only one brood in this country because we are at the northernmost limit of its temperature endurance. In warmer climes in Europe and elsewhere in the world there can be more than one brood and on the rare occasion even southern England may get a small second brood but I have not yet seen this happen at Broxhead.

One day I noticed a melee of males getting very excited in one spot on the Broxhead lek so I went over to investigate. Their centre of attention was what at first appeared to me to be a mutant male – I thought they were mobbing the poor thing for some reason. Then I spotted this “mutant” was climbing away from a black ant nest that had “erupted” with ants scurrying everywhere and then the true nature of the event came to me. This was a newly emerged butterfly just appearing for the first time from the ant nest where its chrysalis had been. Its wings were contorted into a crumpled mass as it had not yet had time to inflate them. Thus it could not yet fly but only walk. The crowd of male butterflies had congregated around it because they hadn't yet worked out whether it was a male or female. Each one wanted to be first in line should it turn out to be a female. After a while the group dispersed, I guess once it was realised amongst them that it was a male after all.

Video stills of the general melee...
Silver-studded Blues crowding
Silver-studded Blues crowding
...and the newly emerged male with its still-crumpled wings.
SSB newly emerged male2.jpg
This incident made me cast my mind back to a previous year when I saw what I thought was a mutant male mating with a female. I now realise it was more likely a newly emerged male with its wings partially folded up. At the time I just noted it and walked on without taking a picture. I am now regretting that!

Even when a newly emerged male has inflated its wings, it may still not be ready to fly. I have seen a mature male bothering such a newly emerged male not realising it was not a female. The newly emerged male did not seem to be able to open its wings fully yet, just setting them very slightly ajar at best, and so could only walk away through the heather. What this seems to suggest is that males tell other males from females by seeing the blue and black markings of the other males' upper-wings or brown of the females', not by the bluish tinge of the underneath of the male and not by scent. If gender recognition is only achieved by this butterfly looking at the upper-sides of the wings one has to ask why they have evolved the silver studs on the undersides of their wings that give this species its name. I have as yet no definitive answer to this but it seems it has nothing to do with mate finding; perhaps it has more to do with predator evasion. After all the studs only appear along the edge of the hind wings, those wings that remain visible while roosting. There are no studs along the edges of the forewings. Perhaps the reflectivity of the studs against the non-reflective background of the rest of the wing is an adaptation that confuses some types of predator, for example dragonflies.

Because the Broxhead brood normally starts quite early in the season and there is only one brood, it can also finish quite early. The decline tails off gradually if the weather is fine all that time. By 10th July 2017 I counted only 3 males and 3 females in the Broxhead lek, all looking pretty tatty. There were none at all in the immediate surroundings and only one elsewhere. My book suggests the main flying period is from the beginning of July to mid August, but in 2017 at Broxhead, the brood was one month ahead of this timing and I am told Bramshott is even earlier. It was also true when I quartered the reserve in 2015 to count how many there were in total. In that year the decline was very evident by 8th July.

And that is it for my report on the study of Silver-studded Blues at the Broxhead reserve to date, although it is by no-means complete and I still have lots to find out about them yet.

Ernie F
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Interesting observations about the roosting habits of the SSBs, Ernie - but my goodness you do get out early!
They were certainly a month ahead at Prees Heath - the first was spotted on June 12th this year.

David M

Post by David M »

Nice images (and commentary) on the White Admirals and SSBs, ernie.

Surely it can't be long before His Imperial Majesty makes an appearance?

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Janet - Thanks. I don't want to give the impression I am always out at 6.15 am. Sometimes I have a lie in and don't get out until 6.30 am. :lol:

Dave - Glad you like my posts on White Ads and SSBs. Of course while looking for the White Ads I also looked for the Purple Emperors on one of their master trees but so far, none at Alice Holt - but it surely must be any day now.

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Alice Holt Woodland - 18th June 2018
Road alongside Abbots Wood Enclosure in Alice Holt
Road alongside Abbots Wood Enclosure in Alice Holt
Still no Purple Emperors yet, but good views of White Admiral, Red Admiral, Large Skipper and Meadow Brown. One of the White Ads was nowhere near the three I saw the other day so there must now be four.
White Admiral with Meadow Brown.jpg
Yellowleg Bonnet - Mycena epipterygia
Yellowleg Bonnet - Mycena epipterygia

Ernie F
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I think the emergence dates in the books is out of date for all colonies of SSB. On the dunes in Cornwall, they emerge even earlier than your population there . And they finish much earlier, too. In fact,they finish at around the time the books suggest they should be starting!

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

essexbuzzard - Just one of the local affects of global warming I imagine.

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Chawton House Estate - 19th June 2018
Chawton House is at the centre of a large estate
Chawton House is at the centre of a large estate
Thanks to Paul Harfield for the heads-up on how to find the White-letter Hairstreaks at Chawton. I am very happy because Chawton is a village that is right next to Alton, the town where I live. If I was younger and fitter I could walk to this Hairstreak location from my house!

It was a bit overcast so I was not expecting much. I found the location without a problem and walked along the row of medium size Elm trees. There was no obvious Hairstreak activity around the tops of the trees so I stood in front of each one and scanned it with my binoculars. Nothing. I was scanning the last tree and was just deciding to leave when out of the corner of my eye I spotted movement at the top of the tree next to the one I was looking at. Sure enough, there they were. There were three on this single Elm, two repeatedly sparring with each other.

I stood there for at least half an hour watching their antics but not once did they come down so no pictures were to be had. Some thistles are growing in front of this line of elms which are not yet in bloom but they are in bud. Perhaps in a few days time when the thistles come out, one or two Hairstreaks might come down to nectar from them.

Other butterflies here were Small White, Large Skipper and a few Meadow Brown, one pair of which were mating.
Meadow Browns mating at Chawton.JPG
As this is the first spot of WLH’s this year so here are a few of my pics to date. I don’t have many because I only saw my first one recently.

The first one I ever got a picture of was at Odiham Common last year but it was a bit tatty.
White Letter Hairstreak (3).JPG
But then I got seriously lucky at Noar Hill when a fresh one came right down next to me.
White Letter Hairstreak - male (11).JPG
White Letter Hairstreak - male (99).jpg

Part of the estate at Chawton is a managed woodland. Larch feature a great deal.
Number 1: The Larch
Number 1: The Larch

Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Are you sure that's not No.3? :wink: :lol: Great set of White-letters - here's hoping you can add to your colection :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Patience, ernie, for Emperors are surely only a matter of time. I feel that this weekend is going to see them around in decent numbers.

Prepare yourself!

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Lovely White Admirals Ernie, and well done with that WLH. :D

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Andrew - Thanks. I was over the moon with the fresh WLH that came down at Noar Hill. I was there looking for Brown Hairstreaks actually (a bit early in the year it must be said) and at first I thought this was a male Brown one until I looked more closely. My camera does not have a very good zoom but it has a "super-macro" setting that works quite well so I can get in very close to take pics. To get these pics therefore I was only a few centimetres away from it.

Dave - I shall heed your advice. "Patience" and "Be prepared". I was a boy scout when I was knee-high to a G. :D

Wurzel - Thank you also for your kind comment on my WLH pics. Plus - Its clear you know "How to recognise different types of tree from quite a long way away". :lol:

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Broxhead Common - 19th June 2018 – 9am-10am

Overcast, humid, very light breeze, 18 degrees C

I had not done a count of the Silver-studded Blues for two days due to cool, overcast weather but yesterday I did between 3 pm and 4 pm and then there seemed to be a decline in numbers. Not so today! The numbers in and around the lek jumped to 262. This area is just one fraction of the reserve. A few years ago I tramped the whole reserve over a period of about five days doing a total count and came to 550. There were more than half that in and around the lek alone today so heaven knows how many there are this year across the entire reserve. In the lek itself – an area no more than around 100 paces long by 20 paces wide, there were 90 SSB’s, seven pairs of which were mating and nine individuals that were wing-rolling (8m and 1f).

Alongside two of the mating pairs there was a further male just waiting within a centimetre or so of the action. Normally these secondary males try to fight their way past the mating male to get to the female but I guess because of the sunless day (and the fact that only a couple of hours before it had been raining), they didn’t have the energy to do so, even though they did have the energy to fly. All they could do was sit and watch.
Waiting his chance99.jpg
One fresh male was doing a very fine impersonation of a Large Skipper! He would fly OK, then perch with his wings tightly closed, then he would open them flat as normal but then slowly (and every time no matter where he perched) his hind-wings would part and raise up above his fore-wings. Most odd.
Silver-studded Blue sitting like a Skipper (99).JPG
Silver-studded Blue sitting like a Skipper (98).JPG
Silver-studded Blue sitting like a Skipper (97).JPG
Silver-studded Blue sitting like a Skipper (96).JPG

On a bramble patch not far from the lek, a Robber Fly was perched on a heather frond feeding off the remains of a Common Heath Moth. As he flew around, he would carry his snack with him - a bit like a packed-lunch.
Dysmachus trigonus Robber-fly feeding from a Common Heath moth.JPG

Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Interesting to see your unusual Silver-stud Ernie, it's like it's got dislocated wings, I wonder how that came about? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”