June 2018

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: June 2018

Post by David M »

Matsukaze wrote:Small numbers of Large Blue out at Collard Hill today....(but no Marbled Whites yet).
Interesting observation. I wondered when Large Blues would emerge but I fancied Marbled Whites might precede them. It's a funny old season is this!

I reckon you're right regarding the Painted Ladies. There are heaps of Silver Ys right now so clearly there must have been favourable migratory conditions lately.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Lots of Silver-studded Blues out at Fairmile Common (near Cobham) today, so I suspect they are out on all the Surrey Heaths.

Following this with a quick visit to Bookham Common, I saw the first White Admirals - only distant shots of one of them unfortunately, but enough to see its wonderful velvetty newness.
WA1 090618.JPG
WA2 090618.JPG
Dave
peterc

Post by peterc »

Well done, Dave, on finding the White Admirals at Bookham Common. I'd better start looking for them on my local patch :) .

Numbers of Meadow Brown are picking up now but nearly all of them when settled have their wings folded even in cloudy conditions although I have been observing them in the early afternoon.

Yesterday, one male individual, in a field south of Watery Grove, had 5 spots on its hindwings which is probably very unusual.

ATB

Peter
Attachments
MeadowBrown Watery Grove 9Jun18
MeadowBrown Watery Grove 9Jun18
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:...I saw the first White Admirals - only distant shots of one of them unfortunately, but enough to see its wonderful velvetty newness.
An apt description, Dave. Few British butterflies have such lustre when fresh.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

A few short trips around the local area ,windy and overcast at first ,and at Lydden ,very little to be seen ,butterfly -wise
a few Blues keeping low in the grass and one or two Meadow Browns doing likewise . but an excellent show of Fragrant Orchids .
Moved on to the hills above Cheriton ,a bit brighter now ,but still breezy ,one or two Common Blues and some poor Adonis Wrecks,and again a few Meadow Browns ,Large Skippers ,a single worn Dingy ,but lots of a scarsish Thistle ,the glorious Wooly Thistle ,which attracted 3 Painted Ladies. Dropped Lynne home and had an hour in Orlestone forest ,fifteen Common Blues several Brimstones a few Large Skippers ,Meadow Browns
2 Speckled Woods ,and best of all 2 White Admirals ,my first of the year and my second earliest.
Regards Allan.W.
P1290288.JPG
P1290331.JPG
P1290310.JPG
P1290312.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Spent a very pleasant hour and a half at Crymlyn Burrows this morning between 9.50 and 11.30. The following butterfly species were seen:

Common Blue 30-40
Small Heath 30-40
Large Skipper 10-15
Dark Green Fritillary 5-10
Small Blue 4
Brown Argus 3
Large White 1
Speckled Wood 1
01DFPprtups(1).jpg
01DGFuns2(1).jpg
01DGFups1(1).jpg
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

millerd wrote:I just missed you, Lee - I was at Aston Rowant on Sunday until about 1530...
I was a little later than that, Dave.

I would have also missed you at Fairmile Common - although my local Silver Studded Blue site is now Dawney's Hill, at which I saw plenty on Sunday.

On Saturday I went in search of Marbled Whites at Juniper Bottom and Denbies, to no avail.

Best wishes,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Terrific Dark Green shots there David ! Nice one. Hoping for one or two myself down in Cornwall ,next week ,and also with
luck ,perhaps a Marsh Frittilary or two …...heres hoping .
Regards Allan.W,
Rivoldini

Post by Rivoldini »

I have no idea how uncommon albino ab alba Small Heaths are but I saw this one this morning in Gateshead.
Attachments
SH alba.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

That is for sure a notable sighting, Rivoldini.

I've certainly never seen one, and if I did I'm sure I'd have been as open-mouthed as you!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Dark Green Fritillaries out at Box Hill (Burford Spur) this evening - but no Marbled Whites here yet.
DGF2 130618.JPG
Dave
IanGD

Post by IanGD »

I had a good day at Strumpshaw Fen on the 11th with several Swallowtails seen at various locations. This one was in view nicely for a few minutes by Lackford Run..
IMGB6889_edited-4.jpg
peterc

Post by peterc »

While searching for Small Blues on a chalky bank in Stevenage without success, I found my first Marbled Whites and Ringlets of the year.

ATB

Peter
Attachments
Marbled White Stevenage 13Jun18
David M

Post by David M »

IanGD wrote:I had a good day at Strumpshaw Fen on the 11th with several Swallowtails seen at various locations.
Thanks for this, Ian. Nice to see britannicus on these pages. Seems like this species is being almost ignored this year with all the exciting stuff happening elsewhere.
Greenie

June 2018

Post by Greenie »

An early visit to Lullingstone CP this morning paid dividends , finding 15/20 Dark Green Fritillary in pristine condition , still breakfasting on their favoured Greater Knapweed . Once breakfast was over and things had warmed up , the males were charging about the slope looking for females .
_MG_4454.JPG
Marbled White were more numerous with 50+ seen , as far as I could see , all males , once again searching for females low to the ground , when not refuelling .
_MG_4480.JPG
Some had only recently emerged and were still trying to find their bearings
_MG_4495.JPG
With the rising temperature came the breeze regularly found on the slope , making photography almost impossible , but I did find a mating pair of Dark Green Fritillary down in the grass , on my way off the slope and heading for the car .
_MG_4527.JPG
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

David M replied Thanks for this, Ian. Nice to see britannicus on these pages. Seems like this species is being almost ignored this year with all the exciting stuff happening elsewhere

Judging by the full car park at Ditchling on Wednesday I would say most Butterfliers were looking at Black Hairstreaks rather than Swallowtails :)

A big thank you to the finder, and for the details supplied by Neil.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Had a couple of hours in Orlestone forest this afternoon ,lots of White Admirals on show ,I counted 25 today ,a few Meadow Browns
and Brimstones ,and singles of Speckled Wood ,Large Skipper ,Small White and Green vein ,but still no Marbled Whites or Ringlets. Also saw my first
Common Darters of the year.
The Admirals were ,as I expected too flighty in the warm sun,and only settled very rarely (again as expected ) ,in slight shade or to feed from the damp earth of the ride ,,,,,,, Great to watch.!
Regards Allan.W.
P1290485.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

David M wrote:
IanGD wrote:I had a good day at Strumpshaw Fen on the 11th with several Swallowtails seen at various locations.
Thanks for this, Ian. Nice to see britannicus on these pages. Seems like this species is being almost ignored this year with all the exciting stuff happening elsewhere.
Looks like I have been missing out on the exciting stuff happening elsewhere, but...

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5424&start=2440

Cheers,

Neil
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Visited my WLH colony in Essex today and can confirm signs are good for a bumper crop. In cool overcast conditions from 4pm around 40 were flitting around on Bramble (and occasionally Hogweed). The sun did come out for a bit but they were still active when I left at 6 after the sun had gone back in.
IMG_0280.JPG
Also present were a couple of fresh and very stunning hutchinsoni Comma's. This one more of a Zero that a Comma!
IMG_0516.JPG
And I also notched up a surprise first for the season, yes it's that time of year again Wurzel :wink: !
IMG_0247.JPG
You'll have to wait for the full details though, off on some travels from tomorrow :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Wow! Hutchinsoni Commas and Gatekeepers.....summer is surely now in full swing!

Return to “Sightings”