Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Pauline

Post by millerd »

Interesting to read about your Bentley Wood visit on Sunday, Pauline. I visited there the previous afternoon (report still to come!) and saw two different Marsh Fritillaries as well as several SPBF and a few worn Pearls. No Duke, but a very worn Grizzlie instead, plus the impossible to photograph Argent & Sable moths. Amazing how a few hours can make such a difference. :)

Dave

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I've just seen your lovely images Dave :mrgreen: I guess it must have just been a case of wrong place, wrong time. I can only conclude they were tucked away because of the temperature otherwise I am sure someone would have seen them.

Thanks for that Vince. I think a visit to Specsavers must be long overdue :roll: :lol:

Cheers David - thought you might like to see the result:
DSC_0076_00001dd.jpg

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I was pleased to see females beginning to emerge at Bramshott this morning although only 5 seen:
P1070579ad.jpg
P1070602ad.jpg
P1070629ad.jpg
P1070687ad.jpg
P1070708ad.jpg
Males were also emerging around me as I stood and watched, several disposing of meconium and drying their floppy wings:
P1070664ad.jpg
P1070675ad.jpg
I noticed that very fresh males were approaching other males and appeared to 'nudge' them. I don't think they were mistaking them for females - male bonding perhaps? :wink: :lol:
P1070723ad.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I made a (very) brief visit (35 mins) to OWH a short while ago, hoping to catch the Adonis Blues settling down for the night. No such luck. It was still very warm, bright and sunny and about 8-10 males were dashing about the lower slopes with few signs of them slowing down. I decided just to watch the spectacle feeling too old to scamper up and down that hill (I'll save that for the Clouded Yellows :wink: :lol: ), trying to grab a few shots when they paused close enough:
P1070836ad.jpg
P1070821ad.jpg
P1070822ad.jpg
Several females, including the ones below, were egg-laying and when I got down to look I could see 4 eggs in quite a small area:
P1070774ad.jpg
P1070761ad.jpg
P1070793ad.jpg
P1070788ad.jpg
As I was leaving I was startled by this very attractive moth. I'd like to say it's a Cream-spot Tiger ....... but I've been caught out by these Tiger moths before :roll:
P1070842ad.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:
Cheers David - thought you might like to see the result:
Yes, a creditable piece of work, Pauline. Can we have another soon when the birds are esconced in it?

I envy your Adonis and Silver Studded Blues. I have to travel an hour and a half to see these.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Silver-studs, those females are just lush when the light catches them in that way :D :mrgreen: I'll have to try and wangle a visit to my site next week as Bramshot is an early site :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Some wonderful Blues there Pauline. You tiger is a Wood Tiger Moth :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I never forget how lucky I am David living so close to some smashing sites even if I also have to travel for certain species :)

Cheers Wurzel - I can't seem to get enough of them at the moment and have even more shots to post! :roll:

Thank you Paul - I just knew I wouldn't have that ID right even though I tried. I had the trap out last night but I have delayed posting the results as I just know it's going to leave me feeling quite embarrassed. I can't seem to get to grips with moths. I mean, you have 2 that look almost identical and they're different species, and then 6 that look totally different and they're the same species :? Thank goodness there are folk who keep putting me right :D I was thinking about you today as I searched for larva - wondering whether Padfield turned up and how your 'rescued' BH are getting on. Anyway, here is my contribution from Noar Hill this morning:

I headed for the Brimstones first. As I expected there were no sign of any of the larva so I had a cursory look for pupa but no luck there. I didn't have much time so had to move on but I have not given up yet!

Next up was the Green Hairstreak. Several larva of various size were easy to locate but they were definitely not the ones I photographed earlier (different area):
P1070955ad.jpg
P1070957ad.jpg
Then it was on to the Brown Hairstreaks. These larva were more difficult to locate and I only found 2, both of which were enormous, including the one below which seemed perilously close to a spider and his cache. I am assuming some of the others have gone off to pupate and if this should be the case I reckon they may well emerge early this season. We shall see:
P1070974ad.jpg
...and in context:
P1070979ad.jpg
....and the spider's larder with some strange content:
P1070976ad.jpg
Sadly, the 2 Duke larva I had found earlier were missing, probably predated. I say this because in my experience the very early stages rarely leave their leaf (and definitely not their plant). I have read that larva can hide right at the base of the plant and I am sure this is correct but they still have to eat. Each time I visit I expect to see a greater amount of feeding damage. When this doesn't happen and it coincides with a small larva going AWOL I have to assume they have been predated. I only had time to find one other larva:
P1080006ad.jpg
P1080008ad.jpg
Whilst I was searching for a Duke I came across this caterpillar which I am unable to identify:
P1070961ad.jpg
I noticed a few Orange Tip larva of various sizes so stopped to take some shots but the breeze persisted in blowing their plants around and the photos are rubbish. Just like this one of a male Scorpion Fly. If this had been sharp it may have been the best shot I have of this creature:
P1070969ad.jpg
I didn't photograph many butterflies but saw a Single Red Admiral, worn Duke, several Small Blue, a fair few Common Blue and this Small Heath which for once was posing nicely:
P1070989ad.jpg

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely Female Silver-studded Blues, Pauline, and great shots really showing the sheen on their wings :D

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the Adonis Shots Pauline, I'm hoping to see them in Kent this year all being well :D Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

You really are switched on to these early stages, Pauline. It just goes to show what is going on out of plain sight literally in front of our eyes.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Mike - gorgeous when they're fresh aren't they? I can't seem to stay away from them this season :)

Thank you Goldie. Good luck and fingers crossed for Kent.

I'm finding these immature stages really interesting David - so much to find that I've never seen before!

On that note I'm delighted to say that Vince has informed me that my unidentified larva in the last post is a Meadow Brown which I've also never seen before :D . Just goes to show when you go out looking you can never tell what you might find!

Well, I guess it's time to 'bite the bullet' and post those moths (are you ready Neil? :roll: :lol: ). I should know them. I've seen them all before - nothing new this time. I shall start with those I didn't photograph :lol: Lots of little ones and many that flew as soon as I removed the lid. I was pleased about that because it had been raining and a few poor little mites were floating on the lid which I do find sad. There was the Heart and Dart and Large Yellow Underwing, a Clouded Border and Small Magpie, what I believe to be an Orange Footman (tho' probably something entirely different) and a lovely large moth which flew before I got a shot. Looking at websites I think it may have been a Pale Oak Beauty. The first moth I attended to was this lovely Pale Tussock. I really like these moths. It hadn't gone into the trap but was sat on the table quite soaked. I put it in the garage where it put its wings up and sort of shook the raindrops from itself before settling down :lol:
P1070861ad.jpg
P1070909ad.jpg
Next was the Peppered moth (female). I know this to be correct thanks to Neil's diary:
P1070896ad.jpg
There were a few Coxcomb Prominent in the trap in various states of wear and tear:
P1070870ad.jpg
P1070919ad.jpg
I don't know what this one is but quite a pretty colour:
P1070922ad.jpg
Also a Flame Shoulder:
P1070932ad.jpg
and last but not least a Willow Beauty:
P1070893ad.jpg
I wait to be corrected :wink: :lol:

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Brilliant blue's Pauline. :mrgreen: Love the SSB's. I see Bramshott is on the way to Noar Hill, from my direction, any tips for potential visitors ?
Some nice moths there as well. :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Andrew. I don't think I'm great at taking photos of the Blues but I find the SSB both inspirational and photogenic. As for tips - well, I could point you to a couple of locations but they are now all over the Common. Rectory Lane is always a good starting point and early evening and morning are both good for both the light and getting the butterflies before they are too lively - although I always find them more approachable than the Common Blues (and there are plenty of them there too).

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

In an attempt to 'catch-up' and save precious space I have combined the results of a few visits to Bramshott into this one image - don't want folk getting bored :lol:
SSB.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

They're such a fantastic species who could get bored of Silver-studs Pauline :shock: :D Lovely set of shots as is usual :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline, trying to catch up a bit myself...I nearly missed that beautiful Puss Moth :mrgreen: :D

Some lovely SSB photos too :D

The Coxcomb Prominent photos are of The Festoon http://ukmoths.org.uk/species/apoda-limacodes, a much more localised and scarce species.

The 'pretty colour' one is a Barred Red.

All the best,

Neil.

trevor

Post by trevor »

A few mrgreens for those lovely fresh female SSB's :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I have never found them that fresh at Iping common.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks a lot Pauline, I have very few sightings or shots of SSB's. I think I will give Bramshott a go. :D
Lovely combo pic! :D

David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:...don't want folk getting bored
Chance would be a fine thing! Ours in south Wales aren't out yet! I must put a visit to Castlemartin in my diary for either next weekend or the one after.

Return to “Personal Diaries”