Swallowtails - is it to late?

Discussion forum for sightings.
Nigel

Swallowtails - is it to late?

Post by Nigel »

I am thinking of pending a day out in Norfolk either this Thursday 26th or Saturday 28th, is it to late for Swallowtails? if not any ideas on the best place to go please?
Many thanks.
jellyang

Re: Swallowtails - is it to late?

Post by jellyang »

Hi Nigel,

I can not answer if any Swallowtails are still about at the moment but I can tell you that most of Norfolk has been under a cloud for the last 3 weeks!

I was lucky at Surlingham Fen about 3 weeks ago & manged to get a few poor quality pictures.
Another good place is Strumpshaw Fen RSPB site. You do have to pay an entrance fee to get in but if no Swallowtails show at least you get other Butterflies in the meadow, dragonflies & birds. There is a cottage garden close by which attracts the Swallowtails but I have never been there. There are several old theads on here if you search.

Take a look on the Butterfly Conservation Norfolk website, which will point you too a few favourable sites.

I do hope the sun makes an appearence soon!

Angie
Pete A

Post by Pete A »

Forecast Sunny on Sunday. Maybe last chance saloon ?
Pete A

Post by Pete A »

More rain this weekend ! I thiink this year is a write off unless we get some better weather later in summer and there is a second brood Aug / Sept
sandraandkevin

Post by sandraandkevin »

We went to Catfield Fen today and whilst it took a while, we saw at least 4-5 Swallowtails, 3 of which landed nearby, 1 tatty the other two very good condition. It was very sunny but also quite windy.

There were also lots of Norfolk & Brown Hawkers, Black tailed Skimmers, 4 Spotted Chasers, Samll Tortoiseshell and Thousands of Peacock Caterpillars.

Hope this helps

Kevin and Sandra

Return to “Sightings”