Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Janet Turnbull

Re: Trevor

Post by Janet Turnbull »

All those Blues were having quite a party, Trevor! I love your Small Copper shot.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely evening shots Trevor, love the shots of the Adonis :D Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful SPBF images, Trevor....almost sepia-like.

trevor

Post by trevor »

This evening I returned to Park Corner Heath, basically on the strength of Katrina's report from yesterday.
This suggested that more Small Pearls had emerged since my Saturday visit.
I arrived at the same time as James ( B.Saurus rex ), good to see you James. I was delighted when my
first find, on the lower part of the site, turned out to be my first female SPBF. As I returned up to
the main part of the site, I was delighted to see Katrina again, and I must admit that most of the
subsequent Butterflies found were down to her, including an immaculate Painted Lady.
Our last find was in Rowland Wood, down to Katrina again, my last image of the evening was taken at 8.32 !.

A great evening in lovely company.
Trevor.

0T
Attachments
P1160283.JPG
P1160221.JPG
P1160195.JPG
P1160205.JPG
P1160260.JPG
P1160234.JPG
P1160203.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Mon May 28, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Beautiful photos of those evening Small Pearls, Trevor. :mrgreen: :)

You can really see here how different the males and females are in the species too.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Another cracking evening Trevor those are brilliant shots of the Small Pearl, especially the last one :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

p.s. I haven't been able to make it over to the Church yet hopefully later in the week...

trevor

Post by trevor »

I have had some problems loading images this morning ( reported it to Pete ).
And my text was wiped. So I will be brief in case it happens again !.

Yesterday I went to the Isle of Wight ( by public transport, won't do that again ! )
for the Glanville Fritillary, no sun, but gloom and sea mist.
Later, near Bonchurch, the sun appeared for exactly four mins, and five Glanvilles appeared.

I'll let the images tell the rest,
Trevor.
Attachments
The scene that greeted me at Wheelers Bay.
The scene that greeted me at Wheelers Bay.
P1160333.JPG
P1160339.JPG
P1160364.JPG
P1160360.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

You got some great shots Trevor so your journey was worth it :D Goldie :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

It' just sods law, Trevor, your first shot says it all :shock: But at least four minutes is better than none and you got the great shots you deserved :)

Mike

trevor

Post by trevor »

It was your images, Mike, that spurred me on to visit the Island yesterday morning.
Coupled with the BBC South weather forecaster saying the south coast would brighten up later.
The day did get worse !. When I got back to Portsmouth Harbour station, all direct trains to
Brighton had been cancelled, and passengers were left to work out for themselves how to get home !.
All this for just over £50. I later found out driver shortages were to blame.

Still five Glanvilles were better than none, I might return to the IOW by car.

Here's three other images of the day.
Attachments
P1160326.JPG
Three Bee Orchids, were growing at the base of the cliffs.
Three Bee Orchids, were growing at the base of the cliffs.
A bit macabre, still that's nature.
A bit macabre, still that's nature.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

At least you saw some Glanvilles Trevor, fab pictures too :mrgreen: . As for the trains, well welcome to my world :evil: driver shortages :lol: :?: :roll:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

£10 a Glanville is a bit steep Trevor :shock: but at least you got onto some :mrgreen: . Also that Bee Orchid looks interesting as the flower that is still developing appears to be an albino form :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

After the grey gloom of the last few days, it was a relief to get out with the camera,
on what can only be described as a near perfect evening.
My destination had to be Park Corner Heath, to make the most of the Small Pearls.

The first find was a female, but she was in an awkward position for a decent shot.
Next came a male, which I was able to follow to roost. By the hut I met Dick, from Seaford,
who had found another male, after many shots I decided to try for any more roosting SPBF,
and promptly found two together on the same grass stem.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1160540.JPG
P1160491.JPG
P1160564.JPG
P1160550.JPG
P1160526.JPG
P1160452.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

That was an interesting daytrip to the I.o.W., Trevor - it paid dividends in the end though! :) The car might be more convenient but you'll need to sit down to see what they charge... :o :shock: Lovely Small Pearls in the evening light too. :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Another great set of Small Pearls Trevor :D :mrgreen: I managed to get my fair share at Bentley so my envy meter is set slightly lower now but still cracking images :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Soon be time for Large Blues :shock: where is the year disappearing too?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Dave, I have used Wightlink many times before.
Their Day return fare for a car has varied from £36 to £90 !. By the balls is I think the correct term.
Try getting from Wheelers bay to Compton bay by bus ( on a day visit ).

The climax of my Butterfly year is but 3 or so weeks away, Wurzel. ( watch out for my spoof advert ).
Just after the longest day, then it's the long gentle slide to Christmas.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I heard recently on the grapevine that Neil H had predicted 18 June for earliest emergence Trevor so you may not even have that long to wait :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Pauline, I think Matthew Oates is predicting a similar date.
I'm raring to go, it's just down to the weather and I hope the forestry work has not been .
too detrimental for this season.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Lovely evening shots Trevor. :D Fantastic that you caught those Glanville's. :mrgreen:

kevling

Post by kevling »

Trevor,

I've been enjoying your SPBF photos. What a difference the early evening light makes, they are stunning. I saw my first one for several years last week in Snowdonia. It made my holiday!

Kind Regards
Kev

Return to “Personal Diaries”