Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Hoggers

Re: Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi David, there's every good reason to expect a bumper second brood of Coppers at Dungeness: this year the whole Reserve is displaying a sumptuous abundance of Sorrel
IMG_8004.JPG
and recently the Warden was making counts of over 200 on his daily patrols
IMG_7975.JPG
For now though, it is the fag end of the first brood
IMG_7979.JPG
IMG_8065.JPG
I had to work hard to find 38 today in ideal conditions
IMG_8001.JPG
It's that time of year when the freshly emerged Brown Argus are out-jousting tired Small Coppers ( an unhappy sight for the committed Copper Head!) But it won't be long before the newly minted and pugnacious second brooders reclaim the Small Copper's rightful place at the top of the butterfly hierarchy
IMG_8057.JPG
Plenty of life still in these combat-hardened campaigners
IMG_8055.JPG
IMG_7980.JPG
IMG_7989.JPG
IMG_7991.JPG
And although worn there's always an enjoyable variation in the markings
IMG_8015.JPG
IMG_8024.JPG
IMG_8037.JPG
IMG_8043.JPG
IMG_8050.JPG
I don't suppose the terrific thunderstorms and downpours of last night did anything to help these Old Timers, but Small Coppers are irrepressible
IMG_8053.JPG
and keep on shining through!
IMG_7996.JPG

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Just fantastic, Hoggers.
I like the big blobby one.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Ernie F
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Cheers Ernie - even at the end of the brood there's still a lot to see.

I went back to Dungeness today, this time with my brother, for a gentle stroll. It was 21C according to my car dashboard with just a slight breeze. The entire estate has come in to bloom now so is a real treat for the eyes and the nose too!

I counted 21 Small Copper
IMG_8090.JPG
IMG_8078.JPG
IMG_8101.JPG
As the morning grew hotter so the Coppers got faster and I grew slower!
IMG_8093.JPG
But we managed to see Coppers in action, including jousts and a "stalk dance"
IMG_8099.JPG
This male was in the best condition of all those I saw today
IMG_8105.JPG
But my goodness, he was active! Whizzing about his territory, a mere blur most of the time, a mighty little atom!

Visiting the Coppers of Dungeness is a privilege and always a delight
IMG_8083.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hoggers wrote:I had to work hard to find 38 today in ideal conditions
Quite surreal Hoggers. I struggle to see that many in a season :o I would love to know if there is anywhere else where such numbers have been recorded on such a regular basis. That area must be perfect for them.

David M

Post by David M »

Indeed, Pauline. Counts of 38 or 21 would be spectacular just about anywhere else!

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Amazing photos Hoggers. I like the action pictures. Surely you have found the Copper HQ! And this is the 'fag end'? I found only 5 at the height of the season!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hello again and thanks for the comments : after posting about the Coppers of Dungeness for some time now and reading all the messages from my fellow UKBers expressing amazement at the numbers we get here I am indeed, Janet, beginning to think Dungeness is the UK's Copper HQ!

But you wouldn't guess it if you visited today: I found only three
IMG_8107.JPG
All tired First Brooders
IMG_8119.JPG
We are in the annual Copper Doldrums, right at the end of the first brood and just before the second has emerged
IMG_8124.JPG
But it will not be long before we see more fresh Coppers whizzing about.

The Reserve is still well worth visiting just to see all the flowers, a riot of Viper's Bugloss and Valerian (and lots of other ones that I don't know the names of!)

I've recently started to get interested in Lichens, having discovered that they are in fact little ecosystems, partnerships between fungi and algae (that's the simple version and at present about as much detail as I'm able to give!),so there being little to keep me occupied on the Copper Front today, I did a bit of Lichenology as I walked along:
IMG_8127.JPG
Rather attractive things I think
IMG_8121.jpg
IMG_8115.JPG
I'm afraid I can't help with the names of these ones as my "Observers Book of Lichens" is on order (£9 on EBay!)
IMG_8114.JPG
IMG_8130.JPG
At least they don't disappear when you try to photograph them
IMG_8132.JPG
(unlike the next subject of today's diary entry!)

During my walk I also spotted a NCCFO (Non Copper Coloured Flying Object):
IMG_8110.JPG
Terrible photo because it buzzed off through the power station fence the moment I saw it. I guess it's a Common Carder Bee but what really caught my eye was its light-coloured thorax: it really stood out and my first thought was that it must be some rarity just flown in from abroad. Bad photo but it gives some idea of the contrast.

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Ha. Even your NCCFO is a little bit coppery. :lol:

I usually do my lichen watch in late autumn and winter. They are fascinating and like you I find getting an exact ID almost impossible in many cases. Don't forget to look for them on the ground. If you haven't already you might be surprised.

Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

Hoggers wrote: But you wouldn't guess it if you visited today: I found only three...
:shock: :shock:

Must be the single day's lull you have down there, Hoggers. I'm sure normal service will be resumed very quickly.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Hogger's , not seen any Coppers here yet, I usually see them on my visits South, it's strange though at the beginning of August for the last two Years i've seen a copper at Hall-Lee-Brook, always in the same place, yet when I look for them at that place at this time of year when they should be out there's never any there :? I've been to that spot every week for the last few and nothing. i'm wondering when you post and mention a second batch you've always seen the first batch in the same place why I don't here :?: Any Idea's :D Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Ernie, once my Observers Book of Lichens arrives I hope to be able to put a name to some of what I find - and I will definitely tread carefully!

Hi David, you're right : It won't be long before the second brood appears and there's a good chance it will be a bumper one!

Hi Goldie, I'm lucky in that Dungeness is pretty much a Small Copper Reserve (they get a few birds there as well apparently..!) and a huge area where the Sorrel grows and is safe, so pretty much guaranteed to get successive broods in the same place.

Today's entry is just to report no less than 4 Painted Ladies in my garden today
IMG_8145.JPG
I live in central Ashford (Kent)
IMG_8143.JPG
And saw on the Dungeness Reserve Website that they had 10 there yesterday
IMG_8136.JPG
So there's a migration going on!

David M

Post by David M »

Hoggers wrote:...So there's a migration going on!
Seems like it, Hoggers. When Silver Y moths suddenly flood in you usually find Painted Ladies in tow. Saw one on my neighbour's flowers the other day so if they've reached Swansea, there must be plenty about further south and east.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

On 15th June I went down to Dungeness : conditions for butterflying were excellent but despite a long search I did not see any Small Coppers (although I did come across my first Small Skippers of the year.) So this year's first brood was well and truly over.

I've heard scientists say that "Zero is a result", but when that means no Small Coppers it's not a very happy result!

However, I returned to Dungeness this morning : it was 17C, thick cloud and a lively wind blowing, so not ideal, but I was over the moon to find two brand spanking new Coppers sheltering from the elements
IMG_8195.JPG
The first of the 2018 second brood
IMG_8203.JPG
I never get tired of looking at them and the closer I look the more I see, like this one for example with one "blue badge" on its right hindwing represented by just three shining points
IMG_8219.JPG
Yet a different "blue badge" on its left hindwing (and a subtly different forewing pattern too)
IMG_8217.JPG
Real beauties!
IMG_8209.JPG
(I also saw my first Marbled White there.)

David M

Post by David M »

So you DO get blank days!!

Beautiful new emergees, Hoggers. They seem quite dusky, rather like the ones I see in France. I dread to think what numbers you will record by early July!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Believe it or not,David, that is the only day I've ever drawn a blank! It's true that there's a very sharp divide between the first and second broods (not so for the other broods), numbers plummet, but I can usually come up with at least one Copper!

And you are spot on about the duskiness : it's something we do not come across in the first brood but ( as you will see below) is common in the second. I do not know why this is.

Today, in glorious conditions, I found this dusky little gem
IMG_8302.JPG
He also has a marvellous iridescence to his left forewing that truly caught the eye. That dazzling flash made me wonder how one Small Copper looks to another? I bet they see far more than we do!

You'll see more "dusky types" in my selection from today's Copper Hunt

This one is impressive
IMG_8239.JPG
Dusky and almost an extensa!

I took note of some typical Copper Perches
IMG_8275.JPG
IMG_8277.JPG
IMG_8329.JPG
These butterfly fire-crackers are a constant source of delight, all brimming with vim and verve, and now is a perfect time to see them
IMG_8339.JPG
IMG_8286.JPG
IMG_8245.JPG
IMG_8350.JPG
IMG_8258.JPG
I saw 31 in all, so numbers have jumped since my last visit four days ago
IMG_8268.JPG
IMG_8253.JPG
IMG_8294.JPG
IMG_8320.JPG
Today I noticed how very dry it is on the Reserve. Flowers are bountiful but the grass is parched and, importantly for Coppers, the Sorrel is withered and sere. I may be getting ahead of myself but I wonder if we do not get some rain soon how this will impact on the third brood?
IMG_8226.JPG
But for now, the second brood is just gathering momentum and there's plenty to enjoy
IMG_8335.JPG
IMG_8255.JPG
IMG_8343.JPG
IMG_8258.JPG

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

I bet there are UV patches on the wings, Hoggars. That iridescence may be a give-away. I keep meaning to buy a UV-lamp, they are cheap enough - and then chose an overcast day to shine it on them to see what happens....

Ernie F
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hoggers wrote:...And you are spot on about the duskiness : it's something we do not come across in the first brood but ( as you will see below) is common in the second. I do not know why this is...
I have also noticed that the second brood Small Coppers around my patch are often darker /duskier than the first brood, although here they only usually show up in ones and twos.

Great report and photos again on your Small Coppers Hoggers :D

Cheers,

Neil

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Some beauties there Hoggers ! I can see a weekend visit to the shingle is in order this weekend !!
also following some help from yourself a while back ,I finally scored my first High Brown at Aish tor .on the way back from Cornwall,at the weekend . Thanks for that Hoggers !
Regards Allan.W.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Ernie, UV sprang to mind - let me know how you get on with your lamp!

Hi Neil, that's most interesting. By comparing notes we are gradually learning new things about this amazing butterfly!

Hi Allan, I remember us talking about Aish Tor - I bet you were delighted to see the High Browns. I look forward to seeing your photos and doubtless we'll bump into each other down at Copperness soon!

All the best

Hoggers

ps It was 27C in Canterbury today : I bet the Coppers were whizzing about at Dungeness!

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Hoggers - a question for you.

Have you ever seen a Small Copper do a wing-roll? When the brood at Broxhead starts to build-up I am going to investigate but seeing as you are very acquainted with this species, maybe you have seen it. I know someone said they had seen it but I can't remember who. Please post any reply on the General discussion topic that I have opened up on it. Thanks.

Ernie F

Return to “Personal Diaries”