Vercors Fritillaries

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Part timer

Vercors Fritillaries

Post by Part timer »

Hi

I posted these back in December but got no responses (everyone must have been hibernating), so I thought I'd try my luck again.

All taken in the Vercors reason of France in June 2017. For what it's worth, I think the first may be Grison's, the 2nd is either High Brown or Niobe and the 3rd and 4th (same insect) are Niobe, but I'd be grateful for any opinions.

Thanks, Rupert
Attachments
DSC_1822.JPG
DSC_1974.JPG
IMG_0804.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Vercors Fritillaries

Post by Padfield »

Sorry - don't know why I didn't notice these in December ...

The second is high brown. The third and fourth are Niobe, as you say, and think I agree with you on the first too. I had to look at that first one several times because there is something about it I don't like for Grisons, but I can't say what. I identify this species so much on jizz, in the field, I find it much harder from a single photo from one angle.

Guy

EDIT - My first instinct was parthenoides (meadow). That is still what it looks like to me every time I come back to it. Is there a reason you plumped for varia (Grisons)?
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Part timer

Re: Vercors Fritillaries

Post by Part timer »

Guy

Thanks for your response. There may have been a reason why I went for Grisons rather than Meadow when I first posted this, but if there was, I can't recall what it was (I'm not particularly familiar with either species).

One web site states that Grisons is rarely encountered below 2000m and the main distinguishing feature is the dumb-bell shape of the black mark on the upf: and this one fails on both counts so I suspect your conclusion of Meadow is correct.

Regards, Rupert

Return to “Identification”