When is a ringlet not a ringlet...

Discussion forum for sightings.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

When is a ringlet not a ringlet...

Post by Trev Sawyer »

When it's one of these :D
Photo taken by my daughter at Belfairs Wood near Southend today.
We had literally just got out of the car and it was the first butterfly we saw...
I was shaking so much, I cocked-up with my photos, but fortunately Karina came to the rescue with my little Olympus mju.

Trev
Martin

Re: When is a ringlet not a ringlet...

Post by Martin »

When it's a White Admiral ab. obliterae :D

Well done Trev (on the spotting, not the photography :lol: )

Martin.
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

Very nice photo, they are supposed to be in North Wales I been told. Can you tell me what the area was like that you found it? Is it a Ringlet or a White Admiral? From Shirley
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Hi Shirley,
Yes, it was an aberrant White Admiral (obliterae). It was actually spotted on the edge of a wood where the species had not been seen for a number of years (Belfairs Wood near Southend). A number of 'normal' ones appeared there too this year and I think the species has increased it's range a little this season. I saw 2 aberrant versions on the same day in Fermyn Woods a few years ago (and I believe this wood produces quite a few for some reason). Habitat was typical... the edge of a wood (or along rides in the wood), where they can nectar on bramble and stay close to their larval foodplant (honeysuckle). They do look very similar to a ringlet, but fly in a much more determined fashion and always have that wavy white line around the perimeter of their wings (and orange-tipped antennae). We were fortunate that this butterfly decided to land near the ground, as unlike Ringlets, White Admirals have a nasty habit of not doing this :( Happy hunting.

Trev

Return to “Sightings”