ernie f

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: ernie f

Post by Wurzel »

Interesting seeing the Hornet bathing something I'd never seen or even thought that they would do :shock: Great shot of the OT from today and the Mandarin :D :mrgreen: I remember reading somewhere that there are more of those feral here than wild in China :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel: Yes - I have never seen a bathing hornet before either. Interesting note about the Mandarin you made. I have seen them in quite a few places in the wild now, including a pond in the New Forest when I lived there many years ago.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

I just had to do another post today because I decided to check on the progress of the heron chicks in my local heronry. If you recall I recently posted about the heron nests in the trees beside Kings Pond in Alton opposite where I live. I showed a picture of a very tiny chick. Now look at the nest as of this afternoon.
Herons nest
Herons nest
Kids home alone
Kids home alone
Flexing those flight muscles
Flexing those flight muscles
And a quick walk around the pond produced...
Coot on a nest
Coot on a nest
Grey Wagtail on insect hunting perch
Grey Wagtail on insect hunting perch
Dabchick chick
Dabchick chick
... and not a single butterfly!

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Noar Hill: 11th May 2018

This is one of the entrance paths to Noar Hill when it has not been maintained to ease access.
Entrance path
Entrance path
A quick visit today to see how the Dukes are coming along and yes, I found yet another three in a pit I had not yet visited bringing my annual record total here to 55. Still none in “The Scrape” so probably still not at peak but must be getting there now I would think.
Number 55
Number 55
Non-butterfly snapshot of the day

The Early Purple orchids are definitely at their peak now, just as Noar Hill’s Orchid number 2 is starting up. The very common, Common Twayblade.
Common Twayblade just starting up
Common Twayblade just starting up

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Oaken Wood

Once a mainstay reserve for Pearl Bordered Fritillary, Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary, Purple Emperor and Wood White Butterflies but alas, out of these, I have only seen the Wood White here.

I have to admit that although I have visited this site on two occasions in recent years and seen Wood Whites both times I have not visited this year, nor intend to, so these shots are historic. However since it is the right time of year and I have not posted them before…
Wood White - female - spring brood.JPG
Wood White - female - spring brood 2.JPG
I was lucky enough to witness a courting couple on one occasion and not only took pics but also a video. They grappled with each other face to face for some while and just like the book says, the male waved his proboscis and antennae back and forth in front of her.
Wood White pair courting
Wood White pair courting
Also he seemed to move his head from side to side as he did this. When he flicked out his proboscis it unfurled until it was completely straight. He then touched her wing with it. At the start of my video I counted him do this five times in a single second, extending – touching – retracting. But he did it many more times while I was watching; at least 25 times in 16 seconds.

At first I thought it looked as though she didn’t want to know because she kept flapping her wings, seemingly to try and escape his affections but he held onto her tightly. At one point though he did let go and sat on the leaf next to her but still facing her and she did not fly off. He continued to do his proboscis whiplash routine and now I could see he would also sometimes flick his front legs toward her at the same time. He would flap his wings occasionally and she would reciprocate. It also looked as if much of her wing flapping was in response to being touched by his proboscis. It seemed after all that they were getting along fine. He then flew off and she followed him but to a more private place where I could not go – so sadly I have no pics of them mating.

I have selected a number of still shots from my video as follows. They would not insert as JPGs for some reason so they are in this attachment. Apologies for the fuzziness of the images.
wood white courtship attachment.docx
(3.07 MiB) Downloaded 22 times

I once saw a female White-legged Damselfly near one of the ponds here.
White-legged Damselfly
White-legged Damselfly

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Noar Hill - 13th May 2018

A cool start around 9.15am but in the sheltered areas there were Dukes right from the get-go. I completed my survey of the reserve today, going to those places I had not been before and to those that had no Dukes before. There were, for example three Dukes in “The Scrape” that were not there two days ago when I last visited. Dukes in “The Scrape” usually indicates that this species is at its peak at Noar Hill because it is one of the last places that they inhabit, being one of the least sheltered from the wind. My total count for the entire reserve this year now stands at 65, smashing my previous record of 42 and there may still be some second-brooders later in the year to add to this. At one point in one of the more sheltered pits I had four Dukes flying around me all at once with another in sight. Two of these were repeatedly doing their spiralling, sparring antics. When they landed they were only 2 metres apart from each other. This appears to be the minimum “safe” distance between two males.
Duke - backlit 2 (98).jpg
Duke - backlit 2 (1).JPG
A very bright female
A very bright female
A very dark male
A very dark male
My last counted Duke of the survey, number 65 had a nibbled hind-wing. It was in "The Scrape".
Duke number 65
Duke number 65
There were three more Dingies bringing my total here now to a mere six. It is taking some time for their numbers to increase. Just like the Dukes before them, it appears the Dingies in their turn are about two weeks later than last year.
Dingy number 6
Dingy number 6
I saw no Small Heaths and indeed have seen none so far this year anywhere, again they appear to be very late.

I did see a Carpet Moth. I have problems identifying Carpet Moths, so I usually default them to Common Carpets unless I can prove otherwise. I think this is a Common Carpet. Can anyone confirm or otherwise? Sorry its a bit blurred - it was in the shade and my zoom was on max so there was a deal of camera-shake.
Common Carpet?
Common Carpet?

For a number of years around this time you would always hear Turtle Doves at Noar Hill and sometimes if you were really lucky you would see them. Usually they would sit in the trees beside the Bridle Path near Charity Farm but unfortunately for the last two years I have had no luck. I know this species is in dramatic decline across the UK but I live in hope of their return to Noar Hill one day.
Turtle Dove
Turtle Dove

Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Dukes Ernie, especially that bright female :D :mrgreen: I heard a few Turtle Doves today at Martin Down but no Dukes, perhaps we could do a swap :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

I just had to do another post today because I decided to check on the progress of the heron chicks in my local heronry.
Fabulous stuff, ernie. It must be a full time job keeping heron chicks from going hungry! I see plenty of these birds near me but had no idea how they raised their young. Thanks for sharing.

Seems like you've also had a productive weekend on the butterfly front. Wood Whites and Dukes are notable species in this country, and I only wish I had them both (much) closer to my doorstep!!

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Tell you what Wurzel. I'll give you a few of my Dukes in exchange for a male and female Turtle Dove. How's that?

David, yes I am over the moon Duke-wise. Greatest ever count, pics of courting and mating and variation in colour range. Best Duke year for me ever.

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Site Visit: Swelling Hill Pond – 14th May 2018

This pond area today gave me Small, Large and Green-veined White, Holly Blue and Orange Tip all in around 20 minutes of each other. I am sure I read someone on this site comment that you could never have enough pictures of Orange Tips. So here we are – another one...
Orange Tip - male  (12).JPG

Swelling Hill pond is one of those places that is great for the Bogbean. A very fine plant indeed. It grows straight out of the water like the reeds around it and is flowering now.
Bogbean
Bogbean

Ernie F
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! ernie, you've seen far more Dukes than I have and Dingy skippers, my total is Nil so far. Goldie :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Goldie

Do you have a Duke site where you are?

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

May 15th: St Catherine’s Hill

From the top of the hill there is a wonderful view across the water meadows to St Cross Priory.
St Cross Priory from St Catherine's Hill
St Cross Priory from St Catherine's Hill
Today was a beautiful hot, sunny day when I got here around noon and if you got out of the breeze it was wonderful for butterflies. I had been observing Grizzled Skippers and Green Hairstreaks when I saw what I thought was a “big” butterfly go by and land in front of me. It turned out to be a Small Heath – my first of the year. This is it.
First Small Heath of the year
First Small Heath of the year
It astounded me that size is so relative. I got so used to looking at truly small butterflies that this looked big by comparison.

There were eight Green Hairstreaks all in one location. Two pairs of males continuously battled it out while I spotted the others only when two male Holly Blues came by, patrolling the hedgerow and the Green Hairstreaks went up to shoo them off. Of course the Holly Blues just carried on looking for females regardless of these ”pesky” little greenstreaks. That meant that every time the Holly Blues came by (and they kept on coming by, back and forth), the greenstreaks would “buzz” them.

There were plenty of male and female Brimstones, GV Whites, a single Small White and one Peacock.

One of the Grizzled Skippers was on the ground laying eggs. Here are two shots. Not the best in the world (grass gets in the way a lot at this height) but its the first time I have captured this so I am quite pleased. I guess you will have to click on the images to enlarge them to see the action better.
Grizzled Skipper laying eggs at St Cat's Hill
Grizzled Skipper laying eggs at St Cat's Hill
Ditto from a slightly different angle
Ditto from a slightly different angle
I then decamped to nearby Magdalen Hill. There is a quick way to get to the bottom of the hill from the bottom gate on the Winchester by-pass road so I used that. It is yet again a very sheltered location and immediately (now 1 pm) I saw another Grizzled Skipper and this one was being hounded by a Brown Argus. This was my first Brown Argus of the year. Then I spotted a second Brown Argus and they found one another and proceeded to spar. I was only here ten days ago and saw none so these two were fresh “out of the box”.
First Brown Argus of the year at Magdalen Hill
First Brown Argus of the year at Magdalen Hill
I spoke to one guy who was passing me. He was doing a transect of the site and told me the first Small Blue of the year for Mag Hill was in the Scrape at the top of the hill. Nice to know, but I didn’t have the energy to climb all the way up there to see it. I took his word for it. I will see them another time when they are closer to their peak. Its more fun when you are surrounded by them.

Just as well because I then spotted my first and second Common Blue of the year. Here is the first. Amazingly bright blue – another freshie.
First Common Blue of the year at Mag Hill
First Common Blue of the year at Mag Hill
It did a “wing-roll” a couple of times while I watched it too, just to add icing to the cake.

There was also a female Orange Tip and another Green Hairstreak and more Brimstones.

In my previous posts I have used my first sighting of a species in the year as an excuse to show past pics. I spotted three new species today – so there is a lot to get through, so here goes…

Starting with the Small Heath.
From a previous year
From a previous year
Backlit
Backlit
Mating
Mating
Wings ajar
Wings ajar
And a video still of the upper wings.
Video still of upper wings
Video still of upper wings
Next moving on to the Brown Argus.
Brown Argus on a log
Brown Argus on a log
Underside
Underside
Brown Argus - male (6).JPG
On Forget-me-not
On Forget-me-not
Amongst the scrub
Amongst the scrub
Dark and freshly emerged
Dark and freshly emerged
Brown Argus - female (6).jpg
And finally the Common Blue.
Common Blue - male (3).JPG
Common Blue - female (1).JPG
Mating
Mating
Female with a Blue Rinse
Female with a Blue Rinse
Underside
Underside
Non-butterfly snapshot of the day.

Both hills have Skylarks but Magdalen Hill has protected areas where they nest. I think this may be a youngster just out of its nest because it was accompanied by an adult from time to time while I watched it.
Skylark - possible youngster
Skylark - possible youngster

Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I know what you mean about the relative size Ernie I had it in reverse over the weekend when I was used to seeing Grizzlies and Dingies and then saw my first Small Blue which seemed miniscule :shock: Great shot of the Skylark, really tricky to get one of those :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

It's not often I'm envious of Common Blues, Small Heaths and Brown Arguses, ernie, but given that I still haven't seen any then I'll remain 'green' for the time being. :mrgreen:

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

David. Well you wont be green for long. You will definitely see these species soon. But for me to see the PBFs like you have done recently will require a lot of effort from me as they are some distance away.

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

May 16th – Selborne Church Meadow

If you pass through Church Meadow to Long Lythe and look back you will see what is known as the Zig-Zag path. It is the main route up from the village of Selborne through the Beech Hanger to Selborne Common. An unusual sight from here.
The Zig-Zag from Long Lythe
The Zig-Zag from Long Lythe
Zig-Zag Path.JPG
I made a concerted effort to find Small Coppers here today but there were none. I have not seen any so far this year. Where are they? I have a theory that Hoggars has got them all. :D

I did see the usual spring-time crew though. Three Orange Tips (all male!), one Holly Blue and eight Green Veined White. No Small or Large Whites – all of them were Green Veined. It appears the Holly Blues are now off their peak and on decline.
GV White - slightly nibbled
GV White - slightly nibbled
Also this rather nice Garden Carpet moth on a Yew in the churchyard.
Garden Carpet moth on a yew
Garden Carpet moth on a yew
Non-butterfly snapshot(s) of the day

There seem to be good numbers of Beautiful Demoiselle building up. I have seen them so far this year at Broxhead, Kingsley, Sleaford and now here at Selborne.
Beautiful Demoiselle - female.JPG
Beautiful Demoiselle (4).JPG

Ernie F
millerd

Post by millerd »

A very comprehensive report from St. Catherine's Hill, Ernie - a spot I plan to visit sometime soon. Those Common Blues and Small Heaths didn't waste any time getting on with the next generation either! :)

Dave

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Dave, Thanks for your comment. If you do come down to St Cats, make sure you set aside enough time for Magdalen Hill too.

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

17th May 2018

Old Winchester Hill
Path down hill below the car park
Path down hill below the car park
Although very sunny this morning was breezy and quite cool (or should I say downright cold).

All the butterflies were at the bottom of the hill keeping out of the wind, but it was quite good. There were two Grizzled and four Dingy Skips, two Common Blue, two Speckled Wood, two Red Admiral, one Small Heath, a few Small and Large Whites and quite a few Brimstone, one of which landed at my feet on the path at a very peculiar angle. It looked like it was exhausted and holding itself up on a blade of grass!
Dingy
Dingy
Grizzly
Grizzly
Brimstone using grass blade as a crutch
Brimstone using grass blade as a crutch
I came here to see if there were any early Adonis Blues around. Last year around this time there were, but of course so far this year – none.

Non-butterfly snapshots of the day

If you drive back to the nearest village to Old Winchester Hill, a village known as West Meon, and take the road to the fly fishery you will come across a wonderful woodland. Many of you who love our wild orchids will have heard of this place and may even have visited it. It is called Chappett’s Copse.
Chappett's Copse
Chappett's Copse
View from the car park!
View from the car park!
It harbours six of our native orchids and if you get the timing right (some-time in June) it is feasible to see them all on a single trip but since two of them are Common Spotted Orchid and Common Twayblade I would recommend visiting a bit earlier, say very late May or very early June when the “Big Four” are at their best. The “Big Four” are White Helleborine, Fly Orchid, Birdsnest Orchid and Sword-leaved Helleborine (aka Narrow-leaved Helleborine).

All four were in flower on my visit today but I was a bit early (by two weeks).

In particular the Sword-leaved Helleborine is one of our rarest orchids and is in decline. It is known to grow in a few places around Britain and Ireland but Hampshire is its stronghold and Chappett’s Copse is arguably its best site, there being thousands of them carpeting the woodland floor here.

So here they are – the “Big Four”…
Birdsnest Orchid
Birdsnest Orchid
Birdsnest Orchid
Birdsnest Orchid
Fly Orchid
Fly Orchid
Fly Orchid with fly
Fly Orchid with fly
The last pic shows a fly on the orchid actually trying to mimic the orchid - or is it the other way round?
White Helleborine
White Helleborine
White Helleborine - as open as it gets
White Helleborine - as open as it gets
And finally the Sword-leaved Helleborine ...
Narrow or Sword leaved Helleborine (7).JPG
Narrow or Sword leaved Helleborine (16).JPG
Narrow or Sword leaved Helleborine (19).JPG
Narrow or Sword leaved Helleborine with froghopper cuckoo-spit.JPG
Sword-leaved Helleborine at Chappets Copse.JPG

Ernie F

Return to “Personal Diaries”