dilettante

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
dilettante

Re: dilettante

Post by dilettante »

03-May-2018

I recently bought a new (second-hand) camera with the intention of it being small enough to be a carry-everywhere camera. With the addition of a Raynox closeup adapter, I tried it out for butterflying at lunch time today. A half hour visit to Cherry Hinton LNR near Cambridge turned into an 10-species treat. A very active Peacock greeted me at the entrance, then one of a number of Commas:

Comma

When I got to a patch of Garlic Mustard I found myself surrounded by Orange Tips, a Green Hairstreak, several Holly Blues, a Green-veined White. A Brimstone flew past, and a Small Tortoiseshell and Large White made brief appearances.

Holly Blue

Green Hairstreak

Green-veined White

And on the way out and back to work, this Speckled Wood posed for a few seconds
Speckled Wood

A pretty good haul, and the camera performed nicely I think. There were quite a lot of missed shots, but with a bit more practice it should be a viable performer. Not bad for something this size:

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

based on those results that looks like a sound investment!

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Absolutely! Nothing wrong with those, dilettante.

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Thanks David M and bugboy

Sat 5th May 2018

I went with my family to the lovely Dunstable Downs in full hot sunshine this afternoon. Nothing very interesting on the butterfly front unfortunately - just a little too early for the Dukes, Grizzzlies and Dingies I think, but the 'sunken path' is looking perfect for them. Another week perhaps.

Dunstable Downs sunken path with cowslips

The usual early Spring butterflies were around

Brimstone

Peacock

This Red Kite was flying over the car park

Red Kite

And I assume this is a leucistic Rook - it was very brown. I thought it was a buzzard at first
Leucistic Rook

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That new camera is certainly producing the goods Dilettante :D That Brimstone is a peach of a shot whichever camera you used :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

I had both cameras yesterday so only the first one was with the new one. The others were with my big SLR and 180mm macro (and the birds in particular were heavily cropped). The new camera is good but has very little reach for distant subjects

David M

Post by David M »

Stunning image of the Kite, Dilettante (and the butterflies aren’t bad either). Looks like you had a great day!

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Saturday 23-Jun-2018

Summer butterflies are well under way now, so I went down to Therfield Heath, Herts. Almost immediately saw a Dark Green Fritillary bombing past, one of several to be seen during the afternoon. Unfortunately none showed any inclination to stop for a photo, but great to see them again anyway.

Also, my other targets for the visit, plenty of Marbled Whites. I could watch and photograph these all day. Qunitessentially summer for me.

Marbled White

I was particularly pleased with this image

Marbled White pair

Also around, lots of Meadow Browns, but relatively fewer Ringlets.

Meadow Brown

A Brown Argus or two, and this Common Blue.

Common Blue

Others seen: Small Tortoiseshell, Small and Large Whites, Small Heath, Speckled Wood. Surprisingly no Large Skippers (or any other skippers).

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning Marbled White shots Dilettante, great to see the blue spots on the hind wings :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely definition in those images, dilettante. You can even make out the red mite in your first picture.

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Thanks Wurzel and David.

Saturday 30-Jun-2018
For the first time in a few years I was able to make a trip to Fermyn Woods in emperor season. I parked at the gliding club entrance (parking very busy even at 9:30), and immediately could see a group of people clustered round a grounded emperor on the track. The recent clearing of the woods either side of the track didn't appear as destructive as I'd imagined, and several PEs were seen on that stretch. As in previous visits though, I carried on and spent most of my time in Lady Wood. Sightings here were very frequent, although the very dry ground seemed to mean the PEs didn't stay grounded for long in most cases. But there were enough times where one found something suitably odorous and attractive to stay put for long enough to be photographed. In the heat, they mostly seemed to prefer keeping wings shut, but with a bit of judicious shading we were able to entice them to open up and allow attempts at the all-wings-purple shot which has eluded me in the past.

Not prime specimens but a very lovely experience. I didn't keep close count, but there were certainly a lot of PEs about. I probably saw around 30 in my highly enjoyable three hours there.

Also seen:
- More Silver-washed Fritillaries than in remember seeing there in the past, all very active
- The usual browns: Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Speckled Wood.
- Skippers Large and Small
- Whites various
- Comma, Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell. No White Admirals though, although others reported having seen them.
- A few Purple Hairstreaks

Despite the recent hot and dry weather there was standing water in the tyre ruts left by the forest management along the main track from the gliding club. These puddles attracted large numbers of Small Whites

Sunday 1-Jul-2018

I walked around Royston and Therfield Heath with a friend and my dog, so not primarily a butterflying trip, but was pleased to see a fair few Chalk-hill Blues out. Also several Dark Green Fritillaries as well as Marbled White, Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Small Skipper, Small Heath, Small Tortoiseshell, Small White, Large White, Green-veined White.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots Dilettante :D Those Emperors are brill and the mud puddling Whites is a brilliant shot, as I look at it in this sweltering heat it could almost be a scene 'from a day on safari' :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots of the Emperor dilettante :D so glad you saw them up that road, I've been worried that all that work with the trees being felled would have stopped them coming down or damaged them in some way, so great news :D Goldie :D

Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

glad you enjoyed your day in the Woods ! thanks for sharing the lovely pics

8)

John W

Post by John W »

dilettante wrote: For the first time in a few years I was able to make a trip to Fermyn Woods in emperor season. I parked at the gliding club entrance (parking very busy even at 9:30), and immediately could see a group of people clustered round a grounded emperor on the track.
Hi Dilettante,

I must have been one of those people clustered round the Emperor as I have the same shot as your first one (though cropped differently).
pe-on-leaf-30-jun-2018 - 1.jpg
I guess we were too busy with the Emperors to talk about UKB :)

Cheers
John W

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

John W wrote:
I must have been one of those people clustered round the Emperor as I have the same shot as your first one (though cropped differently).

I guess we were too busy with the Emperors to talk about UKB :)

:D :D I think I prefer your crop.
There should definitely be a ukb hat!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely PE shots and Dilettante but my favourite is the Whites mud-puddling :D

David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:Lovely PE shots and Dilettante but my favourite is the Whites mud-puddling
Yes, that's not a common sight at all in the UK. I think the only species I've seen doing this at home is Green Veined White.

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

18-Jul-2018

I was in Dorset for a couple of days with family last week. Not primarily a butterflying trip, but it was great to see plenty of Walls on the top of Golden Cap. They were very flighty in the heat and seemed to have good hearing, so getting close enough with my little RX100 and Raynox adpapter took some patience. I love the underside markings on Walls. :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a cracking shot Dilettante :D :shock: :mrgreen: Did you have to elbow crawl to get that close to it :shock: :? When I see the underside of a Wall I'm always reminded of the Chaos Butterfly from Terry Pratchett's books :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”