Black Hairstreak

Discussion forum for sightings.
George

Black Hairstreak

Post by George »

Hi

We were thinking of visiting Glapthorne to see Black Hairstreaks this weekend (weather allowing!) - does anyone know if they are likely to be still flying there?

Thanks
George
Piers

Re: Black Hairstreak

Post by Piers »

I'm going to be in Oxfordshire this weekend and wouldn't mind some advice here myself...

Many thanks,

Felix.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Yes and yes.

They've only been around just over a week (of course, the odd freak individual shows up!) and, even though they have one of the shortest flight periods of all of our butterflies, I'd expect to see them for another week or so. The Upper Thames BC sightings page is a good indicator - 1 seen yesterday in Finemere Wood. See

http://upperthames-butterflies.org.uk/b ... tings.html

Of course, if you want good photos of pristine individuals, the sooner the better :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Piers

Post by Piers »

Thanks Pete,

I was begining to think that George and I had asked the wrong type of question..! :D

Felix.
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Felix

I was at Whitecross Green Woods last week and they are flying - saw 6 and photographed two.

Best areas at this site I found were from the entrance head straight down past the main intersection and on the right although these tended to be too high to photograph AND from the entrance turn left at the first intersection head strainght on past the next crossroads to the next turn on the right and head to the bottom by a gate - about two hundred yards. This was an excellent site as the three I found all came down to lower levels on the Blackthorn.

Wavelea1
Piers

Post by Piers »

Cheers Wavelea1, that's really helpful. I shall let you know how I get on; although now the weekend is here the weather looks like it's going to be less than favourable. :roll:

Felix
alex mclennan

Post by alex mclennan »

The Northants recorder reports that ten were seen at Glapthorne earlier this week with a further eleven at Fermyn although many were showing signs of wear and tear. I'm now off to Bulgaria for two weeks chasing butterflies.
Alex

Return to “Sightings”