June Butterflies 9th >>> onwards

Discussion forum for sightings.
sahikmet

Re: June Butterflies 9th >>> onwards

Post by sahikmet »

Heath Frits and Large skippers, but no White Admirals for me.

Sezar
Attachments
P5171862a.jpg
P5171862a.jpg (229.58 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
P5171842a.jpg
P5171842a.jpg (221.67 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
P5171813a.jpg
P5171813a.jpg (210.32 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
eccles

Post by eccles »

Before the clouds rolled in early this afternoon, I found a few ringlets at Warmley Forest Park in the lower meadow near the cycle path entrance. This female is already showing signs of wear so they must have been out a couple of days at least. Also found a mating pair of five spot burnets in the upper meadow. I presume the latter are narrow bordered.
DSC02960.jpg
DSC02960.jpg (81.88 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
DSC02987.jpg
DSC02987.jpg (75.93 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Sussex Kipper wrote:
Jack has previously made a good point about having a 'rogues gallery'
Perhaps as clearly we are not a terribly serious lot (unlike some birders I have known), cartoon portraits might be very appropriate. Now in such a talented group as ukbutterflies, there must be some cartoonists out there. I have a nephew who does that sort of thing for a living, but he would need payment.

So is anyone - after submission of REAL photos - able to turn photos into cartoon characters for the rogues gallery?

Jack
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Saw 3 Silver Washed Fritillaries at Martin Down today.
silver_washed_fritillary_lisa.jpg
silver_washed_fritillary_lisa.jpg (64.77 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

Thats a lovely picture, could we have your camera settings etc please, it might help to improve my poor performance

Thanks

Sezar Hikmet
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Thanks Sezar, I took this with my 150mm Macro lens, Aperture priority, F/8, ISO 400 and a tripod!
What camera do you use?
Annie

Post by Annie »

went up to Collard Hill yesterday - two Large Blues (my first! - thanks to the warden John Ankers for pointing me in the opposite direction to where all the other people were!), two Marbled Whites, two Common Blues, several Ringlets and Speckled Woods and many, many Meadow Browns. A superb morning, all in!
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

Gwenhwyfar wrote:Thanks Sezar, I took this with my 150mm Macro lens, Aperture priority, F/8, ISO 400 and a tripod!
What camera do you use?
Hi Gwenhwyfar,

I use a Olympus 510 lens 40-150 (Equals 80-300), ISO 400, try to get a shutter speed of less than 1/200 seconds. Recently accuaired an extension ring which I am trying to learn to use. I do try to use a tripod or monopod but usually end up using it as a quick support. Most butterflies as you know do not tend to hang around for long. With old age and arthritis and a walking stick I do find difficult to keep the camera as steady as I would like to.

Cheers :D Sezar
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

Lots of Medow browns around today at Wisley but nothing else.

Cheers

Sezar Hikmet
Attachments
P6232022a.jpg
P6232022a.jpg (147 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
P6232038a.jpg
P6232038a.jpg (131.94 KiB) Viewed 2170 times
eccles

Post by eccles »

I visited Lower Wood Reserve near Wickwar in South Gloucestershire today. The place is huge! I spent about 5 hours searching for the best rides in the hope of catching sight of a white admiral. Not a glimpse. There were plenty of meadow brown, ringlet, speckled wood, a couple of large skippers, several demoiselles (c. virgo), two emperor dragonflies and just two SW fritillaries, both males. The first one was very skittish. I spooked it and it took off for the treetops. I was getting tired, had almost given up, then late in the afternoon in about ten minutes I had a dozen of the best shots of the day with the second SWF feeding on thistle. A red admiral showed up as I was walking back to the car.
DSC03124.jpg
DSC03124.jpg (96.87 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
DSC03128.jpg
DSC03128.jpg (146.94 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

That first Silver-washed Fritillary shot is an absolute cracker - nice one!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Paul

Post by Paul »

What a beautiful 1st photo SWF... I went, I think to the same site 2yr ago 1st week July & White Admirals were there then, not many but quite well behaved on occasions. SWFs on show as well then
eccles

Post by eccles »

Thanks for the compliments, both. Paul, do you remember whereabouts on the site that you saw them? I saw the SWF in two places. The first was travelling south from the lodge car park along the gravel road, a wide ride branches off right down to the stream. I saw one SWF on the rise up from the stream. The ride goes on past an area known as he Grubbings and onto Horton Great Trench. It's at least a mile long and lots of it looks good for SWF and WA. The other spot where I saw SWF was heading directly west from the lodge, through a gate and along a ride called Plumbers Trench. Any tips would be most appreciated.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Best I can recall, WAs were at ST 746 880, best I can do.. smudgy coolpix image.... :(

tried to google earth the precise spot but can't find it! :roll:
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi all,
Just spent an enjoyable couple of butterfly-filled days with Jack, 'on tour' here in Sussex. He went away with plenty of Silver-studded Blues, White Admiral, Silver-washed Fritillary and the earliest Purple Hairstreak for the county, which we conveniently spotted over an oak, above the picturesque 'George & Dragon' at Dragons Green. We also 'kicked off' the Purple Emperor season, with 'canopy sightings' of 3 males in Southwater Woods; 2 over the reliable 'Dogbarking' Master Trees and 1 brief glimpse in the Madgelands area. I stayed on after Jack headed back to Cambridgeshire, and by early evening it became evident that there had been a mass emergence of Purple Hairstreak. At least 30 were forming swirling groups above several stands of mature oak, as the sun began to set.
Neil
Annie

Post by Annie »

Sussex Kipper wrote:We also 'kicked off' the Purple Emperor season, with 'canopy sightings' of 3 males in Southwater Woods; 2 over the reliable 'Dogbarking' Master Trees and 1 brief glimpse in the Madgelands area.
Neil
I like the new title that M Oates has bestowed upon you on the PE website :lol:
eccles

Post by eccles »

Thanks Paul. That grid reference is slightly south of the lodge where the car park is. There is a wide ride just beyond that point heading south and is where I saw my first SWF of the day so it's a possibility. I only got poor pictures of that one before it took off for the treetops.
I've made enquiries in the Bristol Wildlife Yahoo group and the best looking place seems to be the ride called Plumber's Trench. This is where I saw the second SWF and got the better pictures.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Annie,
I presume you refer to Derek Longhurst's highly entertaining 'Purple Empire' website at http://www.thepurpleempire.com/whatsnew.html . The photo of the salmon in an oak tree makes me laugh every time I look at it! I will be joining Matthew in Fermyn this year, where various obscure and irregular practices may be conducted in the name of science!
Neil
Martin

Post by Martin »

Annie wrote:
Sussex Kipper wrote:We also 'kicked off' the Purple Emperor season, with 'canopy sightings' of 3 males in Southwater Woods; 2 over the reliable 'Dogbarking' Master Trees and 1 brief glimpse in the Madgelands area.
Neil
I like the new title that M Oates has bestowed upon you on the PE website :lol:
Do tell....
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Martin,
Click on the link given in my posting and all will be revealed. For those obsessed with the Purple One, it is a great honour to be the first to see Him each season. Also seen in Hants today.
Neil

Return to “Sightings”