millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Andrew555

Re: millerd

Post by Andrew555 »

What a beautiful and welcome sight those Orange-tips are Dave. :D Well done.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you all once again for your comments about the Orange Tip shots. The first ones of the year were really uplifting after the six straight days with no sunshine. :) However, I shall have to look out for the aroma of coconut oil as the sight of Trevor in a bikini is probably best avoided... :wink: :lol:

After another couple of not-really-very-sunny days (even though it was no longer cold), this morning it looked as if there might be a repeat. However, between 11 and 3, the sun appeared and made its presence felt - lifting the temperature noticeably. Out on my local patch, the butterflies responded and I spotted a Small Tortoiseshell and the first of five Peacocks almost immediately.
ST1 170418.JPG
Peacock1 170418.JPG
It became quite breezy, and the next sighting was of an Orange Tip and a white butterfly struggling against the breeze whilst also trying to chase each other. They gave up simultaneously and settled - the white turned out to be the first GVW of the year.
GVW1 170418.JPG
Moving on to a more sheltered area, more Orange Tips and Whites appeared, plus several Brimstones, Commas and Peacocks.
OT1 170418.JPG
OT2 170418.JPG
OT4 170418.JPG
OT6 170418.JPG
Peacock2 170418.JPG
SW1 170417.JPG
Comma1 170417.JPG
Comma2 170417.JPG
I had a number of multiple species tussles, including a GVW, Brimstone and Orange Tip three-way squabble, and then three Orange Tips chasing round in a tight circle. However, the chances of any of them settling close to each other was a bit much to ask, and two Orange Tips was the best I could do.
OT3 170418.JPG
As I returned closer to home, a Peacock disturbed a Brimstone from the ground but instead of setting off on an endless patrol along the hedge, the latter returned to a dandelion to nectar. It then hopped from flower to flower for some while, allowing my first close shots of the year. I suspect it was freshly emerged from hibernation and was stocking up on energy. Varying angles to the sun:
Brimstone1 170418.JPG
Brimstone2 170418.JPG
Brimstone4 170418.JPG
Finally I passed close to the area's major holly tree, and looking up I spotted what I'd hoped to see - a Holly Blue. No amount of muttering and cajoling could entice it down and in the end the wind took it off out of sight.

Overall, eight species were seen today:

Orange Tip - 7
Brimstone - 7
Peacock - 5
Comma - 5
Small White - 3
GVW - 2
Small Tortoiseshell - 1
Holly Blue - 1

What would they all do without the dandelions! At least no one has tried to mow them down in the name of curing untidiness - yet.

Still no Speckled Woods, but it surely cannot be long before they appear.

Dave

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Even without Speckled Woods that was a great haul, both in species and quantity.
Just the one OT. for me so far. Unfortunately the Garlic Mustard along the old railway
is flailed in late spring every year.

Great images, Dave !.
Trevor.

PS. Sent you a PM.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking st if shot Dave, what a blinder of a day :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Is it just me or does the fourth OT shot show a very dark leading edge to the fore wing - a possible ab? :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Looks like it’s kicked off in grand style for you, Dave, with species tallies suddenly rocketing and Orange Tips coming out to play! It’ll be interesting to see how Holly Blue numbers hold up after last year’s spectacular showing!

millerd

Post by millerd »

It was a good day, Trevor - with luck one of several considering the forecast. :)

Thank you, Wurzel. The Tortoiseshells have been very good this year so far. Yes, that OT has a black leading edge to its wings and the black tips beyond the orange seem quite prominent as well. Probably not quite an ab. as such, but who knows? :) Still looking out for the elusive "half-'n'-halfer" after that Silver Spot last year... :wink: :)

Funny you should mention Holly Blues, David. After the first of the year yesterday, the sunshine and warmth today brought out a few more! :D

Report of the day coming shortly...

Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

Wednesday 18th April. A day of sunshine from start to finish, and I set off on an initial foray onto my local patch before 1000. I was greeted as usual by a Small Tortoiseshell and a Peacock, and then a series of Brimstones.
ST1 180418.JPG
One of the last of these was intent on nectaring on the field of dandelions and afforded some good close photos.
Brimstone 1 180418.JPG
Brimstone2 180418.JPG
The head of this butterfly bore an uncanny resemblance to a bat when viewed close-up! :o
Further Peacocks followed, including this one posing nicely.
Peacock1 180418.JPG
One more landed on the path to bask, and led me straight to a couple of Holly Blues sucking up minerals from the damp ground. In the end, both went up onto an ivy-covered bush to rest, and one opened up a bit - no further because of the heat of the day.
HB1 180418.JPG
HB2 180418.JPG
HB3 180418.JPG
HB5 180418.JPG
A bit further along, I rescued a freshly emerged GVW which had fallen off its perch, and set it on a nearby dandelion.
GVW1 180418.JPG
GVW2 180418.JPG
From this point on, there were further sightings of Holly Blues, Peacocks, Small and GV Whites, Brimstones and Orange Tips, but the heat and sun meant none were stopping for long.

In the middle of the day, I popped down to Denbies. There was not much flying beyond Brimstones, Peacocks and a single Small Tortoiseshell. The slope was covered in violets, but things are not very far advanced as yet, with the trees barely coming into leaf and the bluebells in the woodland at the top of the hillside only just beginning to flower. It could be a week before the Grizzlies appear here.

Another local trip late afternoon was notable because of the numbers of Holly Blues, especially in the patch nearest home.
HB7 180417.JPG
HB8 180418.JPG
HB9 180418.JPG
HB10 180418.JPG
There were also a number of female Commas flying in and out of the vegetation, and laying eggs here and there on the young nettles.
Comma2 180418.JPG
Comma egg 180418.JPG
A rough tally for the day locally:

Brimstone - 15+
Holly Blue - 10+
Small/GV White - 10+
Peacock - 10+
Orange Tip - 7
Comma - 5
Small Tortoiseshell - 1

And still no sign of a Specklie! :(

Otherwise, a very good day again, and it looks as if all those late Holly Blues last autumn haven't dented the numbers. :)

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

It would seem that your local patch is performing better than the old railway at the moment.
We have specklies, but ( up to yesterday ) no Green veined Whites yet.
You continue to hold the title of Mr. Holly Blue. :lol: .

Great stuff,
Trevor.

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

More than 10 Holly Blues! And I thought I was doing well with two.

Ernie F
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Fantastic stuff Dave, what a few days you've had! :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The season has now properly started as Dave is knee deep in Holly Blues :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

What can I say Dave, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D that's a fantastic collection of shots, lovely Orange Tips and Holly Blues,
I've yet to even see one or the other yet, I must get moving! Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you all for the comments. :) Yes, it's good to see the Holly Blues back again, and in decent numbers so far.

Today was another scorcher, noticeably warmer than yesterday (possibly pushing 28 or 29 degrees hereabouts) - so much so that it put a dampener on butterfly activity to some extent and very much on attempts to photograph them. I went out a bit too late for one thing - everything was already very active, and as the morning wore on, many things disappeared. In terms of numbers, the Orange Tips and Holly Blues became most numerous, but the Nymphalids hid themselves away.

On the plus side, I saw two new species for the year: a brand new Speckled Wood and a very ragged Red Admiral, neither of which stayed still for a moment. I saw a few egg-laying Commas again, including one laying on elm within an unkempt low hedgerow by a pub car park. I have seen caterpillars on this hedge before. The camera settings were wrong for the shots I took - I may have another go tomorrow if I can relocate the egg.
Comma1 190418.JPG
Comma egg 190418.JPG
When trying unsuccessfully to charm some Holly Blues down from the trees where they were whizzing about, I came across another Comma having a siesta.
Comma2 190418.JPG
Another good day really, with not far off fifty butterflies of ten species.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Almost 50 butterflies - a good day indeed Dave :D You'd think that they'd lay their eggs in a more concealed place rather than in plain sight on the tip of a leaf :shock:
Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

The total exceeded 50 today, Wurzel - mainly down to the sheer numbers of Holly Blues. You can always tell when they are doing well, as people comment about them to you. I bumped into an former colleague of mine today who did exactly that.

On another belter of a sunny and warm day, I went out a bit earlier and found the Holly Blues just starting their day as well. They were flying across from the shaded side of the ivy where they seem to spend the night over to the sunlit hedge on the other side of the narrow bit of field. Here they would sit for a while and maybe show a bit of upperside.
HB7 200418.JPG
HB2 200418.JPG
HB5 200418.JPG
HB6 200418.JPG
HB1 200418.JPG
As the temperature rose, so did they, moving further and further up and into the trees. In amongst the army of male butterflies, I spotted a single female, identifiable by the black spots on the little bit of upper hindwing showing, plus some of the black on the forewing tips.
HB4(f) 200418.JPG
No doubt there will soon be a few more. The overall count of the species across all the various hotspots around my patch was definitely over 20: more than once I had five in a view, darting madly around the trees in the heat.

There were more Speckled Woods around today too, with half a dozen in various places. I went out a second time quite late and managed to actually approach one or two of them. The early evening light gave them a real orange hue, almost like their continental cousins.
SpW2 200418.JPG
SpW4 200418.JPG
SpW6 200418.JPG
The first female Orange Tips were out today as well, distinguishable from the frequent GVW by their smaller size and feeble fluttery flight.
OT1 200418.JPG
One male Orange Tip had very pronounced and sharply outlined black borders to the orange patches.
OT2 200418.JPG
I also caught up with the Red Admiral I saw the other day, its battered wings doing nothing to spoil its lovely swooping glides.
RA1 200418.JPG
Aside from that, all the usual suspects were present, ten species in all. Approximate numbers from this morning, plus the Red Admiral:

Brimstone - 8
Orange Tip - 10 (inc 3f)
Small/GV White - 15+
Small Tortoiseshell - 2
Peacock - 7
Comma - 3
Red Admiral - 1
Speckled Wood - 6
Holly Blue - 20+

Dave

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Dave

Love your Holly Blues. They are picking up around here too but certainly not in the numbers you seem to have near you.

Cheers
Ern

Ernie F
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Your Holly Blues are gorgeous! I'm amazed at the number you've seen :mrgreen: - I saw my first today, a singleton!

trevor

Post by trevor »

The Specklies have reached you at last, Dave.
It won't be long before they become a nuisance for the photographer, when numbers build.
I can't count how many times I've had a Butterfly lined up in the view finder,
only for it to be sent up by a Specklie.
Great Holly Blues, once again.

Happy days,
Trevor.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Holly Blues Dave, I've not seen one yet or a Speckie, but it shouldn't be too long now hope fully :D Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Ern - Holly Blues are always good round here (as my diary entries from previous years will attest to!). :) Lots of rampant ivy everywhere, plus a sprinkling of holly trees and plenty of other food plants for the summer caterpillars (dogwood for example). Ideal, really.

Thank you, Janet - they are lovely little things, and having them almost literally on the doorstep for eight months of the year is brilliant! :)

Yes, Trevor, the Specklies won't remain a novelty for long, but they really very attractive when they are as new as they are at the moment. :)

I hope you won't be waiting long, Goldie. The good weather should be bringing them along nicely. :)

I didn't spend much time on my local patch today (21st), heading further afield for most of the day. I went out for ten minutes around six pm, and even though it was quite gloomy, it was still warm and humid after earlier showers. Even under the cloud, I still managed to see a Brimstone, a GVW and a Holly Blue flying happily around. The GVW was looking for somewhere to spend the night, and took great pains choosing which bit of cow parsley was the right one.
GVW4 210418.JPG
Reports from the rest of the day to come...

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”