Moths Count

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Annie

Moths Count

Post by Annie »

I've decided that tonight I'm going to take part in BC's "Moths Count" survey of garden moth life

Unfortunately I do not have a garden - I live on the third and fourth stories of a Victorian block right on the beach - so I will be opening one of my sitting room windows and lowering out a torch and something sickly onto the top of downstairs' bay window; as the bottom of my window is flush with this makeshift ledge I should be able to have a good look at what I attract.

I'm looking forward to seeing what's out there - I wonder if the dunes I live by make much of a difference? I know there are Burnets out there in the daytime (and good old IRP Heslop documented a variant believed to be unique to these dunes but that was yonks ago) and we've had loads of day-flying Brimstone Moths this year but I'm not sure what's there at night...
Annie

Re: Moths Count

Post by Annie »

Well, that went very poorly. I did not attract anything!

I didn't have much time after dusk as I had to go out at 11pm (after which I attracted more moths onto the front grill of my car than I'd seen at home all night).

Change of tactic tonight - I'm going to try the landward side of the building.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Good luck Annie...
I tried a (bright) torch and a white sheet/egg boxes to try to see what moths I have in my garden last year and was surprised/dismayed at my total failure to attract a single moth. You really do need a proper moth trap - mercury vapour(?) - to stand much of a chance of getting anywhere I think. I suppose if you are in a block with close neighbours, this may not be a viable proposition (they are very bright)... At least overlooking a beach, you may attract a varied collection boats in the darkness :lol:
Hopefully someone else on here will have a few ideas about something which might actually work if people just want to try a one-off moth count, but don't want the expense of buying an expensive bit of kit. I would be interested in that too.

Trev
Annie

Post by Annie »

I must admit, Trev, that I was consoled by the fact that if I did not attract any moths I had probably at least averted a shipping disaster :lol:

Used to do it all the time in my parents' garden with just a sheet and a torch with great results
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Oh, so it does work....
Maybe I'll have to have another go.

Trev
Annie

Post by Annie »

we're talking 20 years ago here - whether that makes any difference. And in the semi-countryside.

I'm not bad for lights around me where I am - of course being next to the sea helps, and the council ensure the street lights don't work half the time :lol:

I've noticed that quite a few moths congregate around the phone box opposite me - d'you think I could get away with loitering within for a few hours without arousing suspicion?
JKT

Post by JKT »

One thing to keep in mind is that even common Hg (Mercury vapour) lamps don't work that well these days. The reason is EU directive, which mandates VERY low yield of UV light. There are also clear versions, but they are not for sale for general public. Besides, the best equipment these days is among fluorescent tubes. Earlier people used tubes from copy machines and solariums, but they could be dangerous to eyes without protection. Now some manufactures make tubes specifically for this purpose - Insect-o-cutor comes to mind first. Sylvania makes workable ones as well, but from what I here, the don't last as long. Small energy saving lamps might work as well in darker places - namely ones meant for reptile terrariums.

The overall lighting is also very important. Even good lamps are almost useless if there is plenty of light around. Full moon without clouds is bad. Street lights are much worse. I've seen unbelievable number of moths around in the alps around common light bulbs - and that was in the morning. I have no idea what it looked during the night. Besides, the number of moths flying depends on the weather. Actually it also depends on the past weather. A night may be relatively warm, but if the previous night were much warmer, the number of moths will be low indeed. If you can, choose a cloudy and possibly even slightly rainy night after a hot day. Anyway, have fun and try to find the time to sleep as well! :D
Annie

Post by Annie »

thanks, JKT - I didn't get round to trying again last night, instead I went to bed early with a mug of Horlicks!

I'm thinking of trundling over to my parents' garden either tonight or tomorrow to try there instead.
Martin

Post by Martin »

I was at a B-B-Q for a friends 40th in Harrow, West London the other night, and I was amazed at the amout of different moths attracted by the halogen flood light. I'm sure most of the other party-goers thought I was mad/boring because I kept saying "I'll be right back...I'm sure that's a Brimstone/ Silver Y etc" and went to check them out.:lol:
Annie

Post by Annie »

I tried again but to no avail - I think I will have to invest in a fluorescent light if I'm going to have another go.

Martin - I haven't been invited to a barbecue since the "newt incident". I can hardly blame them; the hostess was of a nervous disposition, and I think the newt was rather taken aback too...
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

My garden is overlooked by an orange street light, and I have just been watching a large moth fluttering around it, lit up a shiny orange colour...

Return to “General”