S.E Spain - end March 2018

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
petesmith

S.E Spain - end March 2018

Post by petesmith »

On Saturday 24th March I flew into Almeria airport, in the company of fellow enthusiast and good friend Bob Lambert, for a week of butterflying in Almeria and Granada provinces. Our main target species were several species of Pieridae, including the rare Spanish Greenish Black-tip, Desert Orange Tip, Portuguese Dappled White etc. I also had a personal agenda of tracking down the Provence Hairstreak, a species that had eluded me during a previous visit to this part of the world.

We landed in very breezy weather conditions, picked up the hire car and headed straight to the coast not far from the airport, hoping to find Common Tiger Blues. The wind was keeping most insect life grounded, but in a sheltered spot we found our first butterflies,
Green-striped White and Black-eyed Blue, both of which we would go on to find at many other locations over the next few days.
Green-striped White.JPG
E.belemia
Black-eyed Blue male.JPG
G.melanops

Common Tiger Blue was proving elusive, and after about an hour of searching we were on the verge of giving up when a tiny Lycaenid briefly took to the wing in front of us. This proved to be the one and only Common Tiger Blue of the entire trip. Unusual weather conditions prior to our visit (including 4 metres of snow on the Sierra Nevada) were playing havoc with emergence times of quite a few species, and Common Tiger Blue appeared to be one of those affected.
Common Tiger Blue unds.JPG
T.theophrastus

We eventually gave up on the windy conditions and headed for what would be our home base for the week, a villa in the Sierra de Los Filabres, making a brief supermarket stop on the way.

Sunday 25th March

Today we headed to a coastal site not far from Vera, where we hoped to find Desert Orange Tip. The weather was overcast and still quite a cool 12 degrees when we arrived, but conditions gradually improved and a few Wall Browns began to appear on the wing, along with Green-striped White, Southern Brown Argus and Southern Small White. These were joined by a Lang's Short-tailed Blue and a Swallowtail, but still no sign of our main quarry. I had just gone back to photograph one of the Caper plants and as I approached the plant, I flushed up a male Desert Orange Tip, much to our delight! Soon we had another male, and as the temperature rose, three females appeared and began egg-laying enthusiastically right in front of us. We observed several eggs being laid on the unopened flower buds, but surprisingly the females seemed to be more interested in ovipositing on dead pieces of grasss, twigs, or other debris, deep down in amongst the Caper plants. I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has had experience of this species egg-laying in such a manner.
pDesert Orange Tip male 3.jpg
Desert Orange Tip male 5.JPG
C.evagore males
pDesert Orange Tip female.jpg
Desert Orange Tip female 4.JPG
C.evagore females
Caper plant.JPG
Caper - the larval foodplant of the Desert Orange Tip
Desert Orange Tip habitat.JPG
Coastal habitat of Desert Orange Tip

My only previous experience of Desert Orange Tip was at this same site two years ago, but two weeks later in the season. On that occasion, I spent a frustrating hour chasing two hyperactive males up and down the slopes, desperately trying to photograph them. It seems that this species was on the wing earlier this year, and the butterflies were much better behaved, allowing some good photo-opportunities. We left this site very happy with our findings, moving on a little further north up the coast, where we encountered more Black-eyed Blues, along with western Dappled White and Mallow Skipper. Bob had by now picked up three new life-ticks, and I had seen my first female Desert Orange Tips and got some half-decent shots, so we celebrated with a couple of bottles of red wine that evening!

Monday 26th March

Today we visited the Hoya de Baza, where we met up with Peter Cawdell, fellow enthusiast, good friend, and invaluable source of local knowledge of Spanish butterflies. Arriving at 11am, it was cold and cloudy as we walked towards our target site, a high ridge with prominent hilltops, where we hoped to find the rare and vulnerable Spanish Greenish Black-tip. The weather really wasn't looking promising and as we reached the hilltop itself, the breeze had stiffened considerably. A few breaks appeared in the cloud, and by 12 noon we had a couple of windows of opportunity. Some smallish white butterflies began to make their way up the slopes. I recognised these from previous experience as probable Portuguese Dappled Whites, and we soon confirmed this.
Portuguese Dappled White.JPG
E.tagis

Lafranchis makes the following comment on this butterfly - "flight usually low and rather slow" - but that certainly was not our experience, watching these small but determined butterflies battling against a very stiff breeze to reach their hilltop assembling points!
Other whites up on the hilltop included Green-striped White and Bath White, but there was still no sign of our main target. I was about to wander along the ridge to the next hilltop when Bob let out a cry of "BAZAE!", and there it was, small, bright deep yellow, and unmistakeable; the Spanish Greenish Black-tip! Over the next couple of hours we had plenty of visits from hill-topping males, but the Spanish Greenish Black-tip is notoriously difficult to approach and photograph, as it rarely stops for long. I only managed a few poor shots at full zoom, of which this is probably the best, heavily cropped:
Spanish Greenish Black Tip.JPG
E.bazae

After the thrill of seeing one of Europes rarest butterflies in its unique habitat, we were all set to head home in a very happy state of mind, but first, Peter had offered to take us a little further north to a site near Galera where he had seen Provence Hairstreak some years back. The weather was clouding over as we left the hilltops, but given that Provence Hairstreak was my "most wanted" species, we just had to drive on and take a look.
Provence Hairstreak habitat near Galera.JPG
Habitat near Galera, home of the Provence Hairstreak and Spanish Greenish Black-tip

Despite the mainly overcast conditions, it wasn't long before Peter had found us a Provence Hairstreak, much to my great delight! We saw two on this site, and I had gained my first "Lifer" of 2018! Needless to say, we arrived back at our villa tired but delighted with our experiences, and the red wine was duly imbibed in celebration once again!

Tuesday 27th and Wednesday 28th March

We spent the next two days in the Sierra de Los Filabres, surveying the areas around our villa and nearby hillsides and the local Rambla. On some old terraces at an altitude of around 530m we found more Provence Hairstreaks at a site that Peter had mentioned to us as having previously had this species. We also found it at a couple of other localities, and I was indescribably happy to have the opportunity to take a few photographs:
Provence Hairstreak 5.JPG
Provence Hairstreak 7.JPG
Provence Hairstreak 8.JPG
T.ballus

They are stunning creatures! This was without doubt the highlight of the trip for me. It was great to get to know them. They really can be difficult to follow in flight, perhaps not surprising for a butterfly that looks like the bastard offspring of a Green Hairstreak and Small Copper, but once you have your eye in, they are unmistakeable in flight. The difference in size between the females and males was something that I hadn't been expecting. We watched males patrolling territories, saw an unsuccessful attempt at courtship, and followed an egg-laying female as she cased out a terrace rich in Medick for egg-laying sites.
Other species present in the area included Cleopatra, Clouded Yellow, Geranium Bronze, Western Dappled White and Iberian Scarce Swallowtail, the latter two being photographed below:
Western Dappled White.JPG
E.crameri
Iberian Scarce Swallowtail 2.JPG
I.feisthamelii

We also found plenty of Southern Brown Argus and Mallow Skippers, although there is a possibility that some of the Mallow Skippers may have been False Mallow Skippers.
Southern Brown Argus.JPG
A.cramera
Mallow or False Mallow Skipper.JPG
C.baeticus/?stauderi

A single Nettle-tree Butterfly turned up along one of the Ramblas, but despite giving us a lovely upperside view, it didn't hang around long enough to be photographed...
Terraces at Albanchez.JPG
Habitat in the Sierra de Los Filabres - these terraces were home to Provence Hairstreak, Bath and Western Dappled Whites and others.

We also found what I believe is a Rosy Grizzled Skipper. Given the markings, time of year and habitat I can't think what else it could be:
Rosy Grizzled Skipper.JPG
P.onopordi

And another butterfly who's ID might be open to debate is this one - rather a poor shot but to me this looks like a good candidate for the Southern Blue, or Austadt's Blue, P.celina
Austadt's Blue.JPG
?P.celina

Thursday 29th March

Today we embarked on a 250 mile round trip to take in a couple of sites further west. This involved a drive west from Almeria along the Mediterranean motorway (A7), and the drive was quite a depressing experience as we passed mile after mile of intensive agriculture, in the form of tens of thousands of acres covered in plastic greenhouses, a veritable ecological disaster for the area. In places every available piece of flat ground was covered for as far as the eye could see, not only depriving the local flora and fauna of any habitat, but also apparently affecting the local microclimate. All of this just so that the rest of Europe can enjoy tomatoes, cucumbers, vegetables and other "seasonal" fresh produce all year round. It was quite an eye-opener, and not in a good way.
We eventually reached our target site, a coastal area near Motril, where we hoped to have a chance to see Monarch and Plain Tiger, but we were out of luck, and after an hour with just a single Large White sighting we left. Bob navigated us to a cracking roadside site in the foothills near La Garnatilla, where we stumbled onto a good colony of Spanish Festoons.
Spanish Festoon head-on.JPG
Spanish Festoon.JPG
Z.rumina

Beautiful creatures! They were flying on hot dry slopes rich in flowers, in the company of Clouded Yellows, Cleopatras and Provence Orange Tips.

Friday 30th March

The weather began to deteriorate on our last day, as rain moved into the hills, so after a last early morning walk down the Rambla, we packed up and prepared for our return journey early on Saturday.

What a fantastic week! Many thanks to Bob for putting up with my company all week, and to Peter for invaluable help with site locations. Roll on my next European trip - France in early June!
Chris Jackson

Re: S.E Spain - end March 2018

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Pete,
An excellent storyline and some great photos.
It just makes you want to be there, and with the right person to guide you of course.
Most of those species are on my wish list.

Good work, Pete.

Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Thanks Chris, it really is well worth a visit out there if you get chance!
It is quite different to France, in that the density of butterflies in many areas is quite low, but it seems that when you do find butterflies, they are always of significant interest...
I have to say though that I am quite jealous of you being out there in the south of France and having Two Tailed Pasha larvae, Large Tortoiseshells etc. right on your doorstep!
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Hi Pete,
That is a great selection of butterflies you have seen. My only visit to southern Spain at this time of year didn't yield much, but I think knowing exactly where to look is essential. I particularly like the Desert Orange Tip and the Spanish Greenish Black-tip.
Now that both of our kids have left school, I hope that we will be able to take more out-of-season holidays!
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

What a great trip you’ve had. I think, given UK conditions at the moment, we are all a bit jealous of you. I saw Desert Orangetips in Malaga a couple of years ago in September, but the hairstreak and Greenish Blacktip have been on my wish list for some time, and sadly will remain so for the foreseeable future. :mrgreen: Thanks for sharing!
David M

Post by David M »

Grrr! Rarely have I been more envious of a butterflying trip.

We're having such a dreadful time in the UK that I'm suffering from borderline clinical depression and there's nothing I'd like more than to take off like you, Pete, and check out warmer European climes in this very early stage of the season.

Great effort with many of the species you encountered, especially those Desert Orange Tips which, I suspect, are incredibly flighty if conditions become warm.
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Nick, you are absolutely correct that having local site information is very helpful, although it is quite possible to stumble upon interesting areas by chance. I always like to make trips like this with a bit of previous knowledge of one or two good sites, then spend some time exploring and seeking out new sites of my own. And yes - the freedom to take holidays out of school holiday time is great! I recently retired from working in education and for some years was confined like yourself with regard to when I could go abroad...

Essex, David, yes the weather conditions so far this year in the UK have been depressing to say the least - this trip was a much needed antidote for me! And David you are absolutely right about the Desert Orange Tips - we were lucky to see them in near perfect conditions for approaching and photographing them, before they got too warmed up and hyperactive!
cecropia117

Post by cecropia117 »

Pete

Thanks so much for a fantastic week.

To see bazae has been a dream of mine since childhood, and then to spend a day with them was so special.

As usual, your pictures are awesome. I have attached a few of my best efforts.

Can't wait for our next adventure!

Bob
Attachments
Spanish Greenish Blacktip 3.JPG
Southern Brown Argus 6.JPG
Provence Orange Tip 2.JPG
Provence Hairstreak 6.JPG
Green Striped White 2.JPG
Black Eyed Blue 4.JPG
Bath White 3.JPG
William

Post by William »

Fantastic report, Pete!

Were there any particular guide books/websites/trip reports that you found particularly useful for planning your trip? I've always thought those semi-african species look superb and wanted to do something similar.

Cheers,

Will
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Just wonderful, Pete. Brilliant pictures and very interesting commentary.

I can confirm your onopordi.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Many thanks Guy - very grateful for confirmation of onopordi!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A wonderful report with some heart warming images, just what the doctor ordered for this miserable March we've had back home. Hopefully some of that sun moves north in the coming weeks so our season can start properly!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
cecropia117

Post by cecropia117 »

Just been going through general pictures of the trip.

The picture below is the author of this report trying to get the perfect Desert Orange Tip shot.

We have all been there!
Attachments
Artist.JPG
John Vergo

Post by John Vergo »

Wonderful report, had to go there next year in the spring :D
David M

Post by David M »

It's very tempting, isn't it, John?

I've spent most of my life wishing myself younger but these days retirement can't come soon enough!
John Vergo

Post by John Vergo »

Yes indeed David :D
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

a great account of your successful trip pete ! i will feel sad when i tuck into my Tesco™ salad veg now :(
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Many thanks for your comments folks - it has been a pleasure sharing this experience! I have just about come back down to earth after a week back in Lincolnshire, where I am glad to say spring is finally making some headway. On reflection, this really was a perfect butterflying trip. There was just one Pierid that eluded us on this occasion (we may have been just a bit too early), the Sooty Orange Tip. Below are a few shots of this stunning butterfly, taken in the same area of the Sierra de Los Filabres back in early April 2016:
Sooty Orange Tip.JPG
Sooty Orange Tip underside.JPG
Sooty Orange Tip 2.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Even more of a pleasure for us to read it, Pete.

Where are you headed next?
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Hi David.

My next planned trip is to the Cote d'Or, France, early June. If I find anything interesting I will post back.
Here's wishing everyone a great 2018 butterfly season!

Pete

Return to “Overseas”