Green Hairstreak

Discussion forum for sightings.
cheddar-caveman

Green Hairstreak

Post by cheddar-caveman »

Am I right in thinking that this is a Green Hairstreak? Are these rare by any chance? This is the first one I've ever seen in sixty years of looking at butterflies so amquite excited about it :D

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Green Hairstreak

Post by Padfield »

Hi Cheddar Caveman!

This is certainly a green hairstreak.

It's not actually rare, but it is local - and this will explain why you have missed it for 60 years! It is also quite elusive and is easy to overlook even where it does fly. Your picture is unusual in that it shows a glimpse of the upperside - normally the wings are held pinned together.

Go back to the same place a little earlier in the year next year and with patience you may see plenty more. Look out for males vigorously defending perches on branches sticking out from a bush.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

In Somerset, they are pretty much restricted to the hills, and the 'wilder' parts at that. I do not usually get as far west on the Mendips as you seem to be, but have seen them at Priddy Mineries and East Harptree wood. They turn up here and there in several types of habitat - downland, scrubby places with gorse, woodland clearings, disused railway sidings - the things these places have in common are an abundance of low-growing wildflowers and patches of bare earth.
cheddar-caveman

Post by cheddar-caveman »

Thank you for the replys gentlemen. This one was captured on Fry's Hill, behind Axbridge (BS26). Plenty of wild flowers and open spaces, also a large quarry which unfortunately is rapidly destroying the hill! As I said, I have been watching butterflies around here for the best part of sixty years but have never seen one of these until now so quite a thrill for me even if they are not particularly rare, and especially to capture it with the camera. I recall that the first "rare" butterfly I saw when out with my father, back in the 40's probably, was a Pale Clouded Yellow. I saw one again last year in a small field just below my house.

Return to “Sightings”