Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary – Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 17 – As I get older it seems that the summers fly by and the winters always drag... :roll: But now we're almost into February and so Small Torts are only a few weeks away! :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary – Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by millerd »

Only one butterfly, so only one favourite - on the last day of May at Bentley Wood, after waiting a while for the sun to come out. Worth waiting for, mind.
SPBF1 310517.JPG
Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I got my fix of these last year up in Chequered Skipper country along Glen Loy. Wandering along we found a damp meadow with lush plant growth where they were flitting around, mainly searching out the buttecups. This year I will hopefully not have to travel quite so far to see them :)

This first I like since it puts them in the context of where we found them
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Glen Loy.JPG
and a nicely posed roosting individual when it began to cloud over and cool down
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Glen Loy #2.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
IAC

Post by IAC »

The enigma that are the Small Pearls. Just how widespread they are in the Scottish Borders will always remain a mystery I reckon. We have had an increase in sightings this past decade due to the number of recorders we now have either resident ot passers by. What we do know is that there is some concentration of them in remaining habitat suitable for them around Mellerstain estates. Basic wet grass moorland which over the past half century has all but disappeared, though what does remain seems to be very suitable for the species with pockets of sheltered, humid grassland, that holds a ton of Marsh Violet. This one was from a site I discovered 8 years ago. since those early days numbers have varied on this wet field site that has over the years become somewhat overrun with Birch regeneration.
Attachments
IMG_0001.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

I don't see this species in either the Pyrenees or the Alps so I have to get my fix at home.

Thankfully, there are colonies within walking distance of my home on the Gower, and I saw a handful on 22nd May on Fairwood Common within a quarter mile radius of the airport:
1SPBFupps1(1).jpg
1SPBFuns2(1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I had two bites of the cherry in 2017 with this species, the first being in Cornwall when we spent a few days on The Lizard at the end of May and first couple of days of June and where I saw them at Kynance Cove and Predannack Cliffs.
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary male - Kynance Cove 31.05.2017
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary female - Predannack Cliffs 01.06.2017
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary female - Predannack Cliffs 01.06.2017
Later in the year we were back on the Lizard for a family holiday at Kennack Sands where second brood were flying along the paths behind the beach and towards Cadgwith Cove
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary second brood male - Kennack Sands 21.08.2017
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary second brood male - Kennack Sands 21.08.2017
I also saw second brood at Kynance Cove and Upton Towans, the latter spot being where I saw this part worn but nicely darkly marked female.
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary second brood female - Upton Towans 25.08.2017
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary second brood female - Upton Towans 25.08.2017
Cheers,

Neil
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

Like Neil, I also had two bites of the cherry in 2017 and also from the Lizard and Upton Towans. In May they were fresh and in good condition but the second brood in late August were rather worn. Both my photographs were taken at Upton Towans. I have included the August photograph as it was my first encounter with the second brood.
Attachments
29 May 2017
29 May 2017
28 August 2017
28 August 2017
David M

Post by David M »

It might be a bit faded, Wolfson, but for rarity value alone it is very worthy. There aren't many who get to see 2nd brood SPBFs in this country!!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary

This was taken on my first of two trips to Bentley Wood for Small Pearls. I’d gotten there early to locate Small Pearls ready for when Philzoid arrived as he had a longer trip to make. Mind you if they keep declining here I’ll have the longer trip and Philzoid will have to find them ready for m arrival – if only BC would do something like they’re doing in Sussex…
Oh well back to the favourite thread. This was the best behaved Small pearl I’d ever encountered and I chose this shot as it nicely encompasses several ‘shot types’ that I like to get; stained glass, close up and habitat/behaviour.
DSC_1558 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

20th July 2017, Värmland, Sweden.
As I was told 'snow melt' was mid May, I think that SPBF is single brooded in this location.
IMG_6360.jpg
Kind Regards,
David M

Post by David M »

Lol! In spite of the 'snow' mentions, this is one species I won't ever see in the French Alps. We should covet and protect it as best we can, because it's habit requirements are so remarkably tenuous.

How grateful I am to have these practically on my doorstep.

Return to “Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary”