Meadow Brown – Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 11 – There is a slightly Northern feel this week (well 2/3's anyway) as time races on :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
MikeOxon

Re: Meadow Brown – Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by MikeOxon »

I've chosen this photo because it is an interesting example, with unusually pronounced eye-spots on the underside. This may be the form that J. W. Tutt, described as ab.biocellata (two well-marked ocelli on the underside of the hindwings)
Bernwood, Oxon - 18th June 2017<br />Olympus E-M5 with 100-400mm lens - 1/250s@f/6.3 ISO 1000
Bernwood, Oxon - 18th June 2017
Olympus E-M5 with 100-400mm lens - 1/250s@f/6.3 ISO 1000
Mike
David M

Post by David M »

I rarely bother with Meadow Browns, but this female seen on the Isle of Man on 5th August was particularly well marked and posed nicely:
1.MdwBrownfem(1).jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

It's easy to over look these in favour of the more showy summer species but they are worthy of attention. This year I found several particularly well marked females
Meadow Brown female, Mill Hill Shoreham.JPG
Meadow Brown mating, Hackney Marshes.JPG
Another mating pair posed particularly well
Meadow Browns mating, Burpham Meadows, North Stoke.JPG
and this fresh male also stood out from the crowd for me
Meadow Brown male, Burpham Meadows, North Stoke.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

An extraordinarily long flight period for a single-brooded species. My first ones locally appeared on 2nd June, and unusually among the lovely velvety males there was at least one female. They generally appear a week or so later. The first male has the two prominent hindwing eyespots referred to above by MikeOxon
male
male
male
male
female
female
Later in the season there were some really bright females as Buggy has mentioned. These two are from Aston Rowant on 2nd September, when they were probably the commonest species, and almost all were females.
MB3 020917.JPG
MB6 020917.JPG
Dave
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Exceptionally this year down in the south of France, I'm very short on upperside shots.
However I have a mating pair from the scrub in June on Cistus albidus:
jurtina29 pair Vernègues_13 16Jun17 (1).JPG
(FZ150)
and a straggler from mid October:
jurtina31 La Taurelle 15Oct17.JPG
(FZ150)
Cheers,
Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

My Meadow Brown shots were taken on the 3rd and 5th of July in three different locations , I thought this year there was far more nicely marked MB's then I'd seen on previous years, although I saw lots of Meadow Brown's at Hall-Lee-Brook most were in longish grass which was again cut shortly after their arrival :evil: Goldie :)
Attachments
Meadow Brown 3rd July Rock Garden Blackpool
Meadow Brown 3rd July Rock Garden Blackpool
Meadow Brown 3rd July Fleetwood
Meadow Brown 3rd July Fleetwood
Meadow Brown 5th July Southport Dunes
Meadow Brown 5th July Southport Dunes
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

This photograph was taken on 20 June in Norfolk. The first time I have watched a meadow brown expand its wings. Unfortunately, I was distracted and missed the fully expanded of pristine wings.
Attachments
P6200087.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Meadow Brown

This was one of my first Meadow Browns taken on a trip to Kingston Lacey with my parents. It classes as one of my favourites because it was taken on a lovely lazy day, the warmth of the sun charging up the butterflies contrary to the soporific effects the uv radiation was having on my person. It also fell into my favourite category as it was a quite interesting aberrant being a blind Meadow brown. I’ve seen my fair share of 2 pupiled Meadow Browns but never (until now) had I encountered one lacking pupils.
DSC_0455 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Nearly missed this one with all the festive goings on recently :wink:

In truth, I didn't take that many decent Meadow Brown photos this year. Although they were around in good numbers at all the usual places locally, numbers seemed to be down again this year from the hordes that were about a few years ago.

Bugboy's well marked example above is a good example of a phenomenon that I have been noticing over the past couple of years and commented on in my diary...increasing numbers of females with extra large orange patches including a band on their hindwings. I saw a number of these again this year, mostly in Cornwall in august but also a few scattered around further north.
Meadow Brown female - Lizard 21.08.2017
Meadow Brown female - Arnside Knott 01.08.2017
Meadow Brown female - Arnside Knott 01.08.2017
Compared with this more 'normal' female, although she does have well defined double pupils in her forewing eyespots...something that I have seen commented on before but which I actually find to be quite common.
Cheers,

Neil
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Like Neil ,I,ve also noticed more well marked females in the last couple of years ,and also more pale individuals. my three shots were all taken in Orlestone forest,the pale individual was very striking ,especially in flight . the pair was one of three pairs that I found in 2017.
P1160768.JPG
P1140266.JPG
P1160786.JPG
Regards Allan.W.

Return to “Meadow Brown”