Butterflysaurus rex

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Butterflysaurus rex

Post by bugboy »

It's been many a year since I've seen one of those beauties, I quite often come across caterpillars but I was a young lad the last time I saw an adult one in the flesh!

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

A rare encounter indeed !. One of those right place, right time occasions.
I have only seen an Emperor Moth once, drying it's wings on a wall at work,
about ten years ago.

Once again, have a great Christmas. :D .
Trevor.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi James,

Superb Emperor Moths, it has been a while since I have seen any in the wild. Great find and beautiful images :D :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Neil.

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

John W wrote: Very nice James! Where did you find the Emperor moths?

Happy Christmas to you too :D

Cheers
John
Cheers John, you can find Emperor Moths all along the South coast, these particular ones were quite local - on the outskirts of Seaford. Having said that they are not easy to find we just got very lucky indeed!
Wurzel wrote:Stunning shots as ever James :D :mrgreen:
Happy Solstice and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours James :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Very kind of you Wurzel, yep with the shortest day now behind us we’re marching towards spring. I hope you and your family have a fabulous Christmas. :D have the goodest of gooduns. :wink:
David M wrote:Great to see you back, James, and what a stunning re-entrance with that divine and impossibly rare shot of a mating pair of Emperor moths!!

I'd willingly go to £250 to witness such a phenomenon.

Well done and thanks for sharing!
Many thanks David, I usually wake from hibernation for Christmas, don’t want to miss all the fun. The mating pair of Emperor moths was something I’d always wanted to see, as you say it’s far from a common sight!
bugboy wrote:It's been many a year since I've seen one of those beauties, I quite often come across caterpillars but I was a young lad the last time I saw an adult one in the flesh!
Hi Paul, I too had seen the caterpillars before but the adults are very elusive indeed! They are truly spectacular and fully deserve the title of Emperor. Seeing a mating pair was a dream come true for me.
trevor wrote:A rare encounter indeed !. One of those right place, right time occasions.
I have only seen an Emperor Moth once, drying it's wings on a wall at work,
about ten years ago.

Once again, have a great Christmas. :D .
Trevor.
You never forget an encounter with these beauties Trevor, I was very lucky to have shared the experience with Bob.
Neil Freeman wrote:Hi James,

Superb Emperor Moths, it has been a while since I have seen any in the wild. Great find and beautiful images :D :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Neil.
Thank you Neil, it seems surprising that such a large insect can remain so inconspicuous! Their camouflage is hugely effective, it has to be, they would be a veritable feast for a hungry predator. They are certainly a feast for the eyes that’s for sure!

Thanks to you all for your very kind comments and best Yuletide wishes, have a wonderful Christmas everyone.

James

Butterflysaurus rex

Spring 2018 Part 1

A few of my highlights from this year.

Thanks for looking.
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You don't need to thank us for looking Rex it's a pleasure, your composition is second to none and the shots of the 'trio', 'mating pair' and the 'two species shot' are beautiful :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Fantastic highlights. the Grizzled Skip pics are wonderful, both the mated pair and the trio shot. I have not got a pic of a mated pair so I am quite envious but strangely it was not that but the pic of the three together that really took my fancy.

Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

Welcome back, James. You've been missed these last few months.

A lovely sequence of images to herald your return. I hope you've got more for us?

Butterflysaurus rex

Many thanks guys, I really appreciate your kind comments. The trio of Grizzled Skippers was a very tricky shot, it took many attempts to get all three in focus!

Spring 2018 part 2

Thanks for looking

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

millerd

Post by millerd »

I really like the pair of Walls, James, and the almost totally green Hairstreak! Just that one tiny white spot... :)

Cheers,

Dave

Butterflysaurus rex

millerd wrote:I really like the pair of Walls, James, and the almost totally green Hairstreak! Just that one tiny white spot... :)

Cheers,

Dave
Cheers Dave, I think the single white spotted Green Hairstreaks are standard issue in these parts. All three single spotters shown above are different butterflies.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That Wall shot is brilliantly composed James :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Great set of Greenstreaks too - interesting to see the regional variation - over this way they generally come with a multitude of spots :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Good to see you posting again, James.
Love the shot of the mating Wall Browns.
3rd brood at High and Over this year ?.

Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

What can I say, James?

Stunning reminder of the earlier part of the season. Those Green Hairstreaks take me right back to May in my mind and your pairing Wall Browns induce a great deal of envy. :mrgreen:

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Fantastic images James. :mrgreen: :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely shots, James, as always :D

Mike

Butterflysaurus rex

Wurzel wrote:That Wall shot is brilliantly composed James :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Great set of Greenstreaks too - interesting to see the regional variation - over this way they generally come with a multitude of spots :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thanks Wurzel, we do get the occasional ‘punctata’ locally but they are not common around here. I sent you a PM BTW.
trevor wrote:Good to see you posting again, James.
Love the shot of the mating Wall Browns.
3rd brood at High and Over this year ?.

Trevor.
Thank you Trevor, I was really pleased to get the mating Wall Browns. As for 3rd brood Walls keep an eye on the Sussex BC sightings page tonight. :wink:
David M wrote:What can I say, James?

Stunning reminder of the earlier part of the season. Those Green Hairstreaks take me right back to May in my mind and your pairing Wall Browns induce a great deal of envy. :mrgreen:
Hi David, yes I love the springtime, if only it lasted for a while longer. Wall Browns are always a challenge, it’s taken me many years to get a shot of mating Walls that I’m pleased with.
Andrew555 wrote:Fantastic images James. :mrgreen: :D
Many thanks Andrew, you are most kind.
Maximus wrote:Lovely shots, James, as always :D

Mike
Hello Mike, I could say the same about yours. :D

Thank you all for your very generous comments.

Best wishes,

James

Butterflysaurus rex

Spring 2018 part 3

Thanks for looking,

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

My, that is a very striking looking male Wall! Great images as always James :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Nice Wall Brown specimen, James. Hopefully a third brood along with
the Clouded Yellows will extend the season again this year.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”